Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jonathan1534

contemplating buying a new GPU - bottleneck advice

Posted · Original PosterOP

hey :)

I currently have a Ryzen 5 1600, 16 gigs of ram, and the EVGA 1070 FTW edition.

I recently got a monitor as a gift, and it goes all the way up to 240 Hz.

I play all sorts of games, both graphics heavy games like AC: Odyssey, Borderlands 3, LOTR: Shadow of War etc. and games that aren't as graphics heavy like cities skylines, League of legends and Dota 2.

with my current setup i can't get solid 240 fps, even in games like league of legends - so i was considering a GPU upgrade.

thing is, i wasn't sure whether my current CPU will cause a bottleneck and prevent me from reaching the fps i want.

any advice?

P.S. I never overclocked my CPU or GPU.

BUT I did opened up afterburner for the first time yesterday and tried the OC scanner. I left the fan speed at auto, but I did increase the Power and temp limit to the max.

didn't play at all since, so I don't know how it affects my games.

You would most likely get a bottleneck w an upgraded GPU. I would save up until you can upgrade both tbh 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler (Temporary): Deepcool - GAMMAXX 300 R 40 CFM CPU Cooler - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

1 hour ago, lmeneses said:

You would most likely get a bottleneck w an upgraded GPU. I would save up until you can upgrade both tbh 

What would you recommend upgrading to CPU wise?

I got an offer for the 2080ti for 650$... That's insanely cheap, so I think I'll go for it.

The 3800x is too pricy for me atm, and the GPU deal is a "take it or leave it" one.

How bad do you think my current CPU will bottleneck the gpu?

Also, is upgrading to the 3600x worth it?

4 hours ago, Jonathan1534 said:

I got an offer for the 2080ti for 650$... That's insanely cheap, so I think I'll go for it.

The 3800x is too pricy for me atm, and the GPU deal is a "take it or leave it" one.

How bad do you think my current CPU will bottleneck the gpu?

Also, is upgrading to the 3600x worth it?

I'm only guessing that you're trying to achieve that high level of FPS at 1080p, in witch case, the 1600 will bottleneck like crazy with a 2080ti.  Like, you're 2080ti will probably be at like 20 to 30% utilization while your CPU will be red lined the entire time.  But, its a temporary fix right?  So, deal with it until you can upgrade.  

3600 worth it?  Not in your situation, no.  I mean, it'll keep up with the 2080ti better than your 1600, but it'll still be left behind if you're going for those frame rates.  Remember, the lower the graphic setting, the less work your GPU needs to do, so it works more efficiently and faster, and that's what creates the bottleneck in the first place with your CPU trying to keep up with how efficiently your GPU is working.  Save up for at least a 3800x would be your best bet, if you want to stick with AMD.  Since you're 

21 hours ago, Jonathan1534 said:

hey :)

I currently have a Ryzen 5 1600, 16 gigs of ram, and the EVGA 1070 FTW edition.

I recently got a monitor as a gift, and it goes all the way up to 240 Hz.

I play all sorts of games, both graphics heavy games like AC: Odyssey, Borderlands 3, LOTR: Shadow of War etc. and games that aren't as graphics heavy like cities skylines, League of legends and Dota 2.

with my current setup i can't get solid 240 fps, even in games like league of legends - so i was considering a GPU upgrade.

thing is, i wasn't sure whether my current CPU will cause a bottleneck and prevent me from reaching the fps i want.

any advice?

P.S. I never overclocked my CPU or GPU.

BUT I did opened up afterburner for the first time yesterday and tried the OC scanner. I left the fan speed at auto, but I did increase the Power and temp limit to the max.

didn't play at all since, so I don't know how it affects my games.

The best idea might be to go to use bench mark and research on yt what the best combos are if you go into task manager and open up a bench mark you will see how the usage percentage differs between them thus telling you how much room you have to work with when it comes to upgrades