Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PyroTheWise

USB 3.0 hub suggestions

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

All, I have been researching USB 3.0 hubs to help clear up some cable distance issues.   I will be connecting a USB drive of course, but also my keyboard and mouse.

 

The peripherals I will be connecting to the USB hub are:

 

1.  Logitech G Pro gaming keyboard - requires a USB 2.0 or better USB port, does have RGB

2.  Logitech G 502 wired mouse - requires a USB 2.0 or better USB port, does have RGB

 

The external drive hasn't been purchased at this time.   I did review and try to find a good USB that would support the keyboard/mouse but it is hard to determine what will/will not work effectively.  

 

Do you have any suggestions on what USB hub I should use?   I assume I should get a powered USB hub to make sure the perhperials don't fight for power.

 

Thank you for your suggestions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

I assume I should get a powered USB hub to make sure the perhperials don't fight for power

When it comes to only a mouse and keyboard, you won't have to worry about that.


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

When it comes to only a mouse and keyboard, you won't have to worry about that.

I read on quite a few of the usb hubs where folks were having issues with the keyboard mouse dropping out, stopping, lagging with a non-powered USB hub. 

 

I really don't want a buy a USB hub to find out that it causes issues with my keyboard/mouse.  Maybe I can get those right angle USB cables (they are really short) but that might be enough to connect the keyboard/mouse to the back of the case instead of the top of the case.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you what hubs to NOT buy: StarTech. The one I recently got apparently back fed current into the USB 3.0 port in my notebook, frying it. This was the second one of their products in a row that I bought recently that was problematic. I used to swear by StarTech; now I'm swearing at them! It will be a cold day in Hell before I buy anything of theirs again!


Jeannie

 

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I can tell you what hubs to NOT buy: StarTech. The one I recently got apparently back fed current into the USB 3.0 port in my notebook, frying it. This was the second one of their products in a row that I bought recently that was problematic. I used to swear by StarTech; now I'm swearing at them! It will be a cold day in Hell before I buy anything of theirs again!

Thank you.  Yeah, I am very concerned about these cheap knock off usb hubs.   Not sure what I am going to do right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PyroTheWise said:

Thank you.  Yeah, I am very concerned about these cheap knock off usb hubs.   Not sure what I am going to do right now.

StarTech is not exactly cheap. Their products used be high priced but high quality. Now, they are high priced crap!


Jeannie

 

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×