Laptop CPU stuck in turbo boost (? it seems)

KumudJian
Go to solution Solved by RAS_3885,
2 minutes ago, KumudJian said:

See all the cores are touching 100% and I am just running Chrome with LTT forum and snipping tool :/

capture2.PNG

Just idling at a high frequency will not heat up a processor significantly unless it doing some kind of work (excluding gross hardware issues like a mis-installed cooler). You may be just running a few things, but from the utilization numbers in your screen shot your computer is clearly doing something. My experience with work laptops is there could be a number of background processes running that are managed by your IT department. YOU may only have a few things open, but there may be a lot more running in the background.

If you can remove the bottom cover on the laptop and inspect the fan/heatsinks they may be dirty and need cleaning. If you can do so without messing too much with company property that might be worth a go.

Your other option would be to talk with your companies IT department.

I am using a Dell Laptop (Work Laptop) and since Day1 i have noticed that the laptop heats up a lot (like unbearable to hold sometimes) and fans always run at full speed and volume.

My CPU is always at turbo boost above 4 Ghz even idling or just a couple of youtube tabs in Chrome.

Power management is set to balanced.

Anyone knows a fix?

Capture.PNG

if a CPU can go faster, and it's allowed to, then it will go faster.

you need to adjust those settings in the bios, good luck with the hieroglyphics that is the dell

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Yeah who wouldn't want CPU to go faster lol? I know my question seems silly
But it is always at turbo speeds and that leads to overheating (not thermal throttling) and high fan noise.

Above 4 Ghz constantly even if i am just staring at Desktop without a single thing running in the background.

Can't change settings in BIOS as its a work laptop and i don't have BIOS access. :/

Any more workarounds?

See all the cores are touching 100% and I am just running Chrome with LTT forum and snipping tool :/

capture2.PNG

The problem isn't with the CPU boosting that high. it's supposed to. The problem is with the cooling system being improperly attached I think. no laptop CPU should EVER reach 90c when it's that far away from full load.

If the laptop is under warranty, get a replacement. If not, open it up and make sure the cooler is touching the CPU will good contact and replace the thermal paste.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, KumudJian said:

capture2.PNG

Just idling at a high frequency will not heat up a processor significantly unless it doing some kind of work (excluding gross hardware issues like a mis-installed cooler). You may be just running a few things, but from the utilization numbers in your screen shot your computer is clearly doing something. My experience with work laptops is there could be a number of background processes running that are managed by your IT department. YOU may only have a few things open, but there may be a lot more running in the background.

If you can remove the bottom cover on the laptop and inspect the fan/heatsinks they may be dirty and need cleaning. If you can do so without messing too much with company property that might be worth a go.

Your other option would be to talk with your companies IT department.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

@RadiatingLight That's a good insight.

I believe the problem is with cooling. I will take this to the IT team in our company after this lockdown ends.

Thanks for quick response everyone :D