Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antstyl13

Upgrating my CPU

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

I have an old PC and I am looking for a fast and cheap upgrade. I want it for productivity (Matlab) and some basic gaming in 1080p, not really high details.

I have an ASRock P67 Pro3 Motherboard with an Intel i5 2300 with 16GB of DDR3 RAM.

Does it worth upgrading to an intel i7 3770 for ~100€?

If I get it and replace the i5 2300 with the i7 3770 will it require immediately or will it require a format?

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Antonis

3 minutes ago, antstyl13 said:

Hi,

I have an old PC and I am looking for a fast and cheap upgrade. I want it for productivity (Matlab) and some basic gaming in 1080p, not really high details.

I have an ASRock P67 Pro3 Motherboard with an Intel i5 2300 with 16GB of DDR3 RAM.

If I get it and replace the i5 2300 with the i7 3770 will it require immediately or will it require a format?

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Antonis

You mean will you need to reinstall Windows? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how lucky you get to be honest. But since you're using the same board, you'll have a higher chance of it working with minimal problems. 

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 250GB WD SATA | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.3.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) 

7 minutes ago, antstyl13 said:

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Antonis

Just make sure you have a BIOS version that supports Ivy Bridge. Otherwise it should go fine.

Just now, Grabhanem said:

Just make sure you have a BIOS version that supports Ivy Bridge. Otherwise it should go fine.

Thanks that is helpful.

How can I check the Bios version?

4 minutes ago, antstyl13 said:

Thanks that is helpful.

If you spam delete or whichever key it is on your board when you start your computer it should boot into the BIOS where you should be able to find the revision number.

Asrock's website should list a changelog for each version, so as long as you have one newer than the one that adds Ivy Bridge support you should be good.

6 minutes ago, antstyl13 said:

Thanks that is helpful.

Press windows + S and type msinfo32 and go down to where it says Bios Version/Date

I wouldn't get a i7 3770 for this build. Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge are very similar with neither offering a ton more performance than the other. At least in the US, an unlocked 2600k goes for less money than a locked 3770. Considering that your P67 motherboard supports overclocking I would buy the 2600k and overclock it. 

11 minutes ago, Shepherd_Strike said:

Press windows + S and type msinfo32 and go down to where it says Bios Version/Date

Thank you guys.

Found it and I need to update my bios first.

1 hour ago, antstyl13 said:

100€

That's a pretty steep price for a non-K 3770. You could also look at Xeon E3's for the platform. Just make sure your BIOS is up to date before installing an Ivy Bridge.

Main: AMD Athlon 3000G, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 2667 MT/s DDR4

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3

20 hours ago, Shepherd_Strike said:

Would I need to re install Windows after a BIOS update?