Upgrade from Sennheiser 598SR

Dasu

Hello, 

I'd like to ask for advice for a new pair of headphones. I currently own the Sennheiser 598SR and I find them...just ok. I'm no expert by any means but, while super comfortable, I feel like they have ok clarity with voices (which I like) but overall I find them flat and boring. It's like they lack sparkle. I'd like for something that is more fun/colored while keeping clear voices, I don't want them muffled.

The headphones will be used mostly for gaming. However, I don't play multiplayer games, I mostly enjoy Rpgs and action Rpgs with good soundtrack (like Nier: Automata), visual novels and immersive sims (Prey, Bioshock). I'm also going to use them for music. I listen to most genres (in order: indie, pop, rock, lofi hip hop, orchestra, classical and sometimes jazz).

My budget is around 200-250 max for the headphones and, if needed, I can consider spending about 150-200 more for a dac and an amp. I'm located in Europe, so Massdrop is an option but it's a bit more expensive.

Thanks for the help!

I got the massdrops 6XX and do believe they are very great value if you manage to snatch them. Its not a life changing experience as most audiophiles would like you to believe but going to anything worse from them truly shows. The sound quality only really shows its "colour" at higher volumes but maybe thats just the dac/amp, not really sure if it even adds anything. Certainly one of my best purchases as so far ive had no problems with them whatsoever.

Make sure to check out r/headphones for great advice and reviews from actual people not writing for a website to make money or get free samples.

1 hour ago, Alkyy said:

I got the massdrops 6XX and do believe they are very great value if you manage to snatch them. Its not a life changing experience as most audiophiles would like you to believe but going to anything worse from them truly shows. The sound quality only really shows its "colour" at higher volumes but maybe thats just the dac/amp, not really sure if it even adds anything. Certainly one of my best purchases as so far ive had no problems with them whatsoever.

Make sure to check out r/headphones for great advice and reviews from actual people not writing for a website to make money or get free samples.

Thanks for your answer but since I live in Europe, I'd like to avoid Massdrop for now, if possible.  

I'm open to other suggestions.

Right now, I was looking into Fidelio X2HR (which is on sale at around 100$) but I'm a bit worried about the clarity of vocals. 
Otherwise, there's DT880 but I'm not sure which fits my use case better.

On 4/1/2020 at 9:55 PM, Dasu said:

Thanks for your answer but since I live in Europe, I'd like to avoid Massdrop for now, if possible.  

I'm open to other suggestions.

Right now, I was looking into Fidelio X2HR (which is on sale at around 100$) but I'm a bit worried about the clarity of vocals. 
Otherwise, there's DT880 but I'm not sure which fits my use case better.

I wanted to check back earlier but forgot, I also forgot to mention im from europe as well. My 6XX took 2 months to get here after going through some hoops (they were made in ireland, shipped to LA and then shipped back to europe, weird)

Many people say many great things about Fidelios so theyre certainly a good choice. I however VERY much DONT recommend AKG or any headphones with that "elastic" band (which i think fidelios are) as basically the whole weight of the headphones is situated on a 2cmx2mm piece of metal that basically drills into the top of your head and hurts like hell(however someone i know has the fidelios and says theyre very comfortable). I was also looking at the beyer DT range back then but I went with the custom one pro plus instead (which i couldnt return within a month cuz the 6xx took 2 to get here, sad. so I still got em and dont use em). The 880 are certainly the best for what you want (vocals) but remember, theyre a different price range (mid instead of high-end), then again for 100 thats a steal. Also to keep in mind is that the more you pay the less youre getting for each extra dollar.

Make sure to check out r/headphones as ive already said and also read/watch reviews on whatever youre deciding on. Good luck!

when it comes to fun wide sound headphones fideliox2 hrs are definitely on top of my list but shame you have no massdrop as the hs 58x is def on of my ffavorites for vocals alone very lush sounding the dt 880 are good alrounders but I wouldn't put hem on top of a 58x or 6xx for vocas unless its put on a tube. I know europe has some pretty good deals on akg k712s they could be up for consideration only other open back akg headphone i like at this price range really. fidelios are great if you want a nice exciting low end but generally more laid back sound . the dt 880s are great for imaging soundstage and generally just a good all rounder but excels at this price range for its gaming capabilities. from my experience at this price point other headphones struggle to touch it the only thing thats on par with it in terms of gaming is it's sister the dt 990. but its definitely better for vocals than the fidelio but the caveat is its a beyer so its less laid back but has more treble detail and also more treble forward but its the beyer thats pretty loved for not being murder unlike its siblings.