Sony's PS5 "terafloppy" drive....anyone's imagination can expand on this ?

Stu_Bear

Sony's PS5 "terafloppy" drive....anyone's imagination can expand on this ?  Is it a PCIe graphics card bolt on...to supplement the on-board GPU ?

4 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Sony's PS5 "terafloppy" drive....anyone's imagination can expand on this ?  Is it a PCIe graphics card bolt on...to supplement the on-board GPU ?

Teraflops are a measure of GPU-performance, it has nothing to do with any drives or anything.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

MARKETING BS

Say lots of impressive sounding numbers people will believe it. 

but its seemingly a proprietary PCI drive in mostly likely case 

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

2 minutes ago, Acid Panda said:

Say lots of impressive sounding numbers people will believe it. 

but its seemingly a proprietary PCI drive in mostly likely case 

The drive in the PS5 is just an integrated PCI-E 4.0 NVMe-drive, which, again, has nothing to do with what OP asked.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

@WereCatf by drive its meant to be a catch all term as we don't really know what it is in full and what i means for the system. or the way its going to be integrated. since it would be unlikely to effect MP games as it would give an advantage which is not what consoles sell themselves on and people would criticise it if it were the case 

it would seam i feel that its for pushing something like system resolution like say a physX card when that was a thing.

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

15 tflops though...that would drive a 4k ultrawide without breaking a sweat on it's worst day, right?  It would be cool if this is legit...no need to wait for the PS5 Pro a year later...just upgrade to the "Pro" model when the hardware is available to add to a PCIe interface I'm guessing ?

4 hours ago, Stu_Bear said:

Ι dont follow the console trends and I am not aware about that but one thing I can tell for sure because magic doesnt exist and the current and coming gen of consoles are basically custom made OEM PCs with their own OS...

It claims it increases the teraflop performance of the console. 

If it indeed does that then the answer is simple... its a second GPU chip that will work as in crossfire when you add it to the console thus increasing its teraflop power... how well this will translate to your actual gaming and if all games will support that "boost" (or in other words support crossfire) is yet to be seen. 

Especially if the teraflop boost is not symmetrical to the teraflop count of the integrated GPU of the PS5 means that its gonna be a weaker GPU and the only way possible according to the technologies I am aware of to do that is by using the explicit multiGPU copy frame feature thingy of DirectX12 or SFR of directX12 and that means that the source code of the game has to support that and even then I dont know how well it can go in terms of framedropping jittering etc. 

And that would be alarming reminding us the old days of PS3 where it had a multicore CPU that did not harness all of its power because it was a pain for developers to make use of it.. and maybe the it will be similarly hard to put those features when porting games for the PS5 (having that teraflopy thingy in mind)