Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hakemon

Unlocking a Xeon X5482's Multiplier?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I know that the answer to this is probably going to be no but I figured I would try asking just in case it actually could be somehow done.  So my desktop (specs in the sig) is using dual X5482's, and are currently both overclocked to 3.63GHz.  Now the overclock I had to go with was by overclocking the system bus.  Since this also overclocks my north bridge and RAM, I'm not entirely too keen on it.  I would like to avoid this and overclock by using the multiplier since I can probably push faster anyway without overclocking the rest of the system.  But, as we know, the X5482 has locked multipliers.  Now I could get the QX9775 which is essentially the same CPU but with unlocked multipliers, but that is about as rare to find as the Dodo (cheapest eBay auction for one is 1000 dollars, no thank you).

If it's not possible it's fine, 3.63GHz will just be the fastest it can go (any faster and my motherboard refuses to reboot even if it works, since I'm overclocking while within Windows using a utility to change the PLL chip itself).

Sorry if any parts of this post makes no sense, I'm currently on new medication which is causing some general confusion in my mind, so I'm a bit erratic at the moment.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4GHz, 4.3GHz Turbo RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB                                OS: Windows 10/Linux

1 hour ago, Hakemon said:

I know that the answer to this is probably going to be no

And you are right, answer is no. If the multiplayer is locked it’s locked you can’t unlock it. Just stick with your current oc if is stable.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

It's stable, but if I go faster, and I forget to downclock it than a 454MHz bus, the motherboard will hard lock when it reboots (namely Windows 10 doing this).

I'll just stick at this clock speed, it's not like I'm running into any issues right now anyway, even Davinci Resolve is running fairly well since I only work with 1080p24 content anyway.

My girlfriend pulled through this morning.  She used to use QX9775's in a Skulltrail build years ago and still had them.  It worked.  I kept the bus overclocked to the highest stable, and now I can push the multiplier higher and get fairly close to 4GHz OC.  (I didn't multiplier overclock in this pic yet).

All set.

dFk2CY1.png