What used server should i get for £200 (ebay) for a nas/games server

Pa1yn

Looking on ebay and saw some older but still powerful enough for my use case should i get, can someone recommend a used config?

Do you care about noise and power consumption?

Are you in the uk?

Id get a dual 1366 server with that budget, something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-PowerEdge-R710-2U-Server-2-x-X5550-2-66GHz-16GB-RAM-Perc6-Bezel/392447633851?hash=item5b5fb3a9bb:g:JHkAAOSwBx1djNp8

Probably want more ram, but otherwise looks good.

if you spend about 150 on a dual 1366 server like @Electronics Wizardy said, you still have money left to get lots of registered DDR3 DIMMS.

i got 128GB reg. DDR3 in my compute server for about 75 euro's. which imo is a steal!

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you care about noise and power consumption?

Are you in the uk?

Id get a dual 1366 server with that budget, something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-PowerEdge-R710-2U-Server-2-x-X5550-2-66GHz-16GB-RAM-Perc6-Bezel/392447633851?hash=item5b5fb3a9bb:g:JHkAAOSwBx1djNp8

Probably want more ram, but otherwise looks good.

Perfect, thanks. I'll look around for similar and compare against this listing, still got to research lmao

5 hours ago, RollinLower said:

if you spend about 150 on a dual 1366 server like @Electronics Wizardy said, you still have money left to get lots of registered DDR3 DIMMS.

i got 128GB reg. DDR3 in my compute server for about 75 euro's. which imo is a steal!

How loud and what's the difference in power consumption to consumer hardware

12 hours ago, GougedKirby522 said:

How loud and what's the difference in power consumption to consumer hardware

depends on the load to be honest.

i have a HP DL380 G6, and under full load it can sounds like a jet engine, but when low load or idle it's kinda inaudible.

i hear DELL systems have much better fan control tough. but i can't say for sure cause i never owned one.

power consumption is not that bad. i have just CPU's in mine, so no GPU's. and under full load the pwer draw is about 250 watts at the wall.

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

depends on the load to be honest.

i have a HP DL380 G6, and under full load it can sounds like a jet engine, but when low load or idle it's kinda inaudible.

i hear DELL systems have much better fan control tough. but i can't say for sure cause i never owned one.

power consumption is not that bad. i have just CPU's in mine, so no GPU's. and under full load the pwer draw is about 250 watts at the wall.

That sounds great, should i get a dell poweredge r710 with 8 x 2.5" bays or 6 x 3.5" for holding sas drives?

3 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

That sounds great, should i get a dell poweredge r710 with 8 x 2.5" bays or 6 x 3.5" for holding sas drives?

welp, depends on what kind of drives you want in there.

personally i would go for the 2.5" option since there's more of those available secondhand here in the netherlands, tough your mileage may vary.

also keep in mind the rest of the specs, like CPU or add in cards