Is my PC capable of both Gaming & Folding @ Home simultaneously?

It's been a long time since I've run Folding @ Home. Would like to run it again, but really wouldn't want it to impact my gaming experience seeing as that's pretty much all I do on my PC all the time. Would anyone be able to tell me by looking at my specs it would effect performance running it while gaming?

Games I play are: Call of Duty Warzone, Fortnite, League of Legends, Minecraft, Overwatch, Red Dead Redemption 2, RuneScape 3.

9HD0Eab.png

kJNZtt0.png

The default setting for folding is "on idle" which means it'll fold when you PC would normally go to sleep. It will use as much of your system resources as possible, so no, you can't really game and fold at the same time on any system, unless you're running a second GPU for folding.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I accidentally played Far Cry 5 for about 1.5 hours while folding, FPS was about 15% lower, but folding took a major hit during that time.

I'm folding on an RTX 2060, so a 2070 should be somewhat better equipped to handle that worklload, though your TPF will suffer significantly while you play.

F@H    EOC

2 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

But the GPU folding oh boy! Is that a whole nother can of worms. Folding@home (in my experience) hasn't gotten resource allocation for GPU folding right yet, and probably never well. I would not try to GPU fold while gaming. 

Yeahhhh, I was loading up a game and left folding on “while I’m working” the game launched and a gpu wu at the same time and “an error has occurred” 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

If you're not CPU folding, playing a game is possible. If you don't limit your game fps though, your PPD will take quite a bit hit. If you do limit the fps in game, the hit in PPD won't be as bad.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I wouldn't do it, no matter what system I'm running as it may affect your game play and/or your folding, unless I have a second GPU to fold with.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

15 hours ago, TearGod said:

It's been a long time since I've run Folding @ Home. Would like to run it again, but really wouldn't want it to impact my gaming experience seeing as that's pretty much all I do on my PC all the time. Would anyone be able to tell me by looking at my specs it would effect performance running it while gaming?

Games I play are: Call of Duty Warzone, Fortnite, League of Legends, Minecraft, Overwatch, Red Dead Redemption 2, RuneScape 3.

9HD0Eab.png

kJNZtt0.png

The correct answer is "not at the same time" and more to the point, "explicitly turn it off when running a MMORPG", as you'll be harming yourself in the game. "on idle" still isn't free.

What typically happens with these types of math crunching programs is that it interprets "on idle" as any (x) seconds where there is no input. So with games, this may not be seen correctly as it will fire back up on a cut scene, or waiting in a game lobby, or any number of "apparently idle" situations, of which game controllers don't tend to reset idle timers.

I'd suggest, that if you are playing a game, explicitly tell the folding program to pause. Even if these programs run in the background, on idle on the lowest priority, it still spins up the CPU/GPU to the maximum performance level, which will result in the cooling fans running at an appropriate speed for that performance level.

Historically this question is the same as "can I run a web browser while the game is running?" type of question, because people might be streaming music or video, and that performance isn't free. The memory, cpu power and gpu power are still being used, and having Chrome or Discord loaded, can consume half the pc's performance depending on what activity is going on.