Removing Zoom from Windows

So, I have went down a wormhole and found out that ZOOM is somewhat of a malware. 

I have uninstalled it from my PC but want to make sure it's eliminated and its ports are closed (if that makes sense). 

Anyone has an idea about this? Something extra needed post-regular uninstall from Windows? 

I really (really!) don't trust that software anymore. 

(you can google it if you'd like)

Thanks so much!

Just use revo uninstaller.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

14 minutes ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

So, I have went down a wormhole and found out that ZOOM is somewhat of a malware. 

I have uninstalled it from my PC but want to make sure it's eliminated and its ports are closed (if that makes sense). 

Anyone has an idea about this? Something extra needed post-regular uninstall from Windows? 

I really (really!) don't trust that software anymore. 

(you can google it if you'd like)

Thanks so much!

Three things: 

Completely removing a program (if the company is nice) should be as simple as running their uninstaller. Though not clearing Appdata folders and Firewall rules are pretty normal and usually require manual work unless you use a tool like Revo and it can actually find everything related to the program.

And the Zoom DNS issue has been happening to Microsoft, Apple, Dell, Amazon for years. Buying a domain that looks identical to another is not uncommon and happens all the time. Take a look when it even went so far as google accidentally selling their own website: https://www.businessinsider.com/this-guy-bought-googlecom-from-google-for-one-minute-2015-9

In terms of the data selling issue, I assume that every company that asks for my data is selling it to someone else, so I'm not surprised that it looks like Zoom was doing the same.

I wouldn't exactly call it malware though.

Source: https://healthitsecurity.com/news/zoom-domains-targeted-by-hackers-as-use-surges-with-covid-19

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 hour ago, BrinkGG said:

Three things: 

Completely removing a program (if the company is nice) should be as simple as running their uninstaller. Though not clearing Appdata folders and Firewall rules are pretty normal and usually require manual work unless you use a tool like Revo and it can actually find everything related to the program.

And the Zoom DNS issue has been happening to Microsoft, Apple, Dell, Amazon for years. Buying a domain that looks identical to another is not uncommon and happens all the time. Take a look when it even went so far as google accidentally selling their own website: https://www.businessinsider.com/this-guy-bought-googlecom-from-google-for-one-minute-2015-9

In terms of the data selling issue, I assume that every company that asks for my data is selling it to someone else, so I'm not surprised that it looks like Zoom was doing the same.

I wouldn't exactly call it malware though.

Source: https://healthitsecurity.com/news/zoom-domains-targeted-by-hackers-as-use-surges-with-covid-19

Thx for that great and informative reply!!!

I agree about the selling  of data vs malware. I guess malware could be interpreted loosly. 

In any case, I am less concerned about my data than I am about Zoom leaving a potential large penetration surface on my device than prior to installing it. If that makes sense. 

Thx again

Use Autoruns to check if any leftover are there. And use some good registry editor to find all entries related to your unwanted program. Registry Workshop is fast and good.

10 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Use Autoruns to check if any leftover are there. And use some good registry editor to find all entries related to your unwanted program. Registry Workshop is fast and good.

Never knew about this tool. Very cool! Is it officially by MSFT? 

Thanks for sharing. 

11 minutes ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

Never knew about this tool. Very cool! Is it officially by MSFT? 

Thanks for sharing. 

You mean Procmon? Who cares is it officially or not. Probably yes. But 3rd party tools can be useful too. I recommend to use non Microsoft programs - less trouble if you change os. In my case working with win10 was the same as win7 because I almost do not use built in tools (like MS start menu or Explorer etc).

15 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I almost do not use built in tools (like MS start menu or Explorer etc).

So which do you use instead? Just curious. 

4 hours ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

So which do you use instead? Just curious. 

Directory Opus as filemanager and app launcher with its floating menus, IrfanView for pictures, eM Client for mail, PotPlayer for movies, Waterfox and Opera as browser, Rainlendar as calendar and reminder, Comodo Firewall, Clatter for Messenger, Miranda for some old-school protocols, ImBatch for complex conversion, Aimp and MusicBee for music, Radmin for remote control, Registry Workshop for edit registry, Macrium Reflect for system backup, MiniTool Partition Wizard as partitioning software, FileZilla for more heavy FTP operations, UltraEdit as text editor and many more tools for various tasks.  As you see - not so much really left. Even shortcuts to most of control panel items I have as menu in Opus.