Drawer PC case project. (i want some advice)

Newblesse Obblige

as the title says, Im planning to put my current(i might upgrade soon) pc hardware into a drawer so its seamless and stealthy(?). 

My pc isnt a gaming machine. but im planning to put a entry level to mid range gpu like a 1650 super or a rx 570. 

my current pc specs:

i5 6400

cheapo 700w(it claims) PSU (yes, im planning to replace this if i got a new gpu)

no gpu (only igpu for now)

8gb ram single channel

asus h110m-k

stock intel cooler

i will upgrade these one-by-one. 

i dont play triple A games. only play light games or esports games dota 2 and minecraft.

i want some advice on how am i going to pull this off. like what is the ideal or minimum dimensions of the drawer, what should modification do i need to the drawer(putting fans or putting vents or steel mesh) and what ideal sizes of the component should be. i dont need rgb lmao.

Edited by 5NibbaHertz
added cpu cooler

1 minute ago, 5NibbaHertz said:

i5 6400

cheapo 700w(it claims) PSU (yes, im planning to replace this if i got a new gpu)

no gpu (only igpu for now)

8gb ram single channel

asus h110m-k

Do you need to fit everything in the drawer? (IE, PSU, drives, etc) or can you "static mount" the PSU to the back of the drawer for example? What size form factor is your motherboard? The ideal size is all dependent on how big you're okay with the drawer being assuming you're making the drawer yourself. 

You can get an idea for the layout based on Silverstone GD and ML series of cases, which are HTPC and low profile HTPC cases respectively. You dont need a LOT of airflow, but you will want some airflow to keep everything from completely overheating. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

good luck on this project, I think you could maybe take some design ideas of off build videos that they built their PC inside the desk

Here are some links:

I know you're not planning to build it inside your desk, rather in a drawer but I'd still watch these videos to get a better understanding or pick up a few of the ideas.

The main challenge is to get enough airflow to keep the system cool. Dawid Does Tech made a pretty good Ikea drawer build using a drawer that uses a front cutout as a handle and leaving the back of the drawer open, but you could theoretically vent the bottom/side instead if you don't have a desk like that.

27 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Do you need to fit everything in the drawer? (IE, PSU, drives, etc) or can you "static mount" the PSU to the back of the drawer for example? What size form factor is your motherboard? The ideal size is all dependent on how big you're okay with the drawer being assuming you're making the drawer yourself. 

i need to fit all of these as much as possible. My mobo size is matx.

most of the drawers i see are roughly 30cm x 30cm/45cm x 15cm (LxWxH) (drawer only, not the whole bedside drawer)

Edited by 5NibbaHertz
wrong dimensions (refer to the dimensions i posted below)

13 minutes ago, cobalt77 said:

Got a photo? As those dimensions are strange.

i dont have the drawer yet, im still planning to buy one. 

also ill update again. the dimensions (sorry). its 33cm x 28cm x 10cm (lwh). it seems small to fit all the component but i will still continue to find another drawer.

Those dimensions make sense. Yes it would be a bit small to get everything into. What sort of thing is the draw in? Desk, cabinet? You mentioned bedside drawer, would that be a Nightstand that you are looking to get it into?

10 hours ago, cobalt77 said:

You mentioned bedside drawer, would that be a Nightstand that you are looking to get it into?

yes, sort of. but i wouldn't call it a nightstand as the "bedside drawer" as a table where i just put things like my phone or my glasses and store some things in the drawer (tbh, idk what it is really called lmao).

but im goona put this beside my desk. i planning to put my printer at the top of the drawer too because my desk isnt big as it is only 100cm x 46cm x 72cm (lwh).