Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OhioYJ

AMD CPUs and (older) Games

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I need to build my son a new computer.   What is the compatibility like with AMD CPUs and old PCs games these days? When I say old it's a mixture, even going back as far as some DOS stuff.  Are work arounds like "game mode" still required?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

So I need to build my son a new computer.   What is the compatibility like with AMD CPUs and old PCs games these days? When I say old it's a mixture, even going back as far as some DOS stuff.  Are work arounds like "game mode" still required?

Same as intel? Game mode was only ever a thing on the threadripper series as they were made a bit differently and windows didn't handle them well because of that. Consumer ryzen never had that issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Same as intel? Game mode was only ever a thing on the threadripper series as they were made a bit differently and windows didn't handle them well because of that. Consumer ryzen never had that issue.

Appreciate it. Can you tell I've been using nothing but Intel for a while? I read a few things about it problems with them, and left it alone. That definitely gives me more options, just has to better than what he has now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OhioYJ said:

Appreciate it. Can you tell I've been using nothing but Intel for a while? I read a few things about it problems with them, and left it alone. That definitely gives me more options, just has to better than what he has now.

What is he using right now as a system?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Appreciate it. Can you tell I've been using nothing but Intel for a while? I read a few things about it problems with them, and left it alone. That definitely gives me more options, just has to better than what he has now.

The only issues were with a few, not all, TR4 CPUs because they had multiple NUMA nodes. Ryzen works just as well, if not better, than Intel equivalents

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
45 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What is he using right now as a system?

 

He's got a system built from my old parts, 7700K, GTX 1070. That one will be going to his mom's house (the reason for a new one, as obviously it doesn't need an upgrade yet). I was originally thinking 9400 / 2070 route, but Im not set on that plan yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

 

He's got a system built from my old parts, 7700K, GTX 1070. That one will be going to his mom's house (the reason for a new one, as obviously it doesn't need an upgrade yet). I was originally thinking 9400 / 2070 route, but Im not set on that plan yet.

Ryzen 3600 would be a better idea. The 9400 is fine but you get less for more with that cpu compared to a 3600.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I was originally thinking 9400 / 2070 route, but Im not set on that plan yet.

9400 really isnt an upgrade from the 9400. 

 

its more of a sidegrade and in some aspects a downgrade. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why build him two PCs? 

 

I'd offer three suggestions: 

1. Make your son carry that current PC house to house. Then he has to get a workout to play his games. 😂

2. Sell/reuse the current parts and make a mini ITX build that can be moved from house to house. 

 

 

And the best solution

3. Buy a gaming laptop. Under $1000 is pretty easy these days. If you sell the current system this might be cheaper than the cost of two systems and provide similar performance. Ryzen 4000 series looks badass and I'd expect the prices of the i7 based systems to tank like crazy in the next few weeks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

 

He's got a system built from my old parts, 7700K, GTX 1070. That one will be going to his mom's house (the reason for a new one, as obviously it doesn't need an upgrade yet). I was originally thinking 9400 / 2070 route, but Im not set on that plan yet.

9400 is a sidegrade, if not an outright downgrade. Look at the Ryzen 5 3600 or, better yet, the 3700X

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×