iPhone 11 vs S10

Buttefly

I'm upgrading from my old S8+ very soon, and the choice is between an iPhone 11 and a Samsung Galaxy S10. 

I currently have a pair of galaxy buds, and with the 11 I would get a pair of Airpods for free (some kinda deal they have atm). The price difference is minimal, 20 dollars I think it was.

Which is the better phone and why?

I don't mind either android or iOS, as I've used both in the past.

I’d take the 11 over S10 because of the better battery life and better camera. Cons of the 11 would be lack of headphone jack, notch, and it comes with the pathetic 5W charger despite supporting fast charging (sold separately).

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

a big part of me says the change isn't worth it. there is such a small day to day change, the jump it doesn't make sense to.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

For show off iPhone 11 is good and in terms of performance and battery backup Samsung S10 is a good choice.

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

a big part of me says the change isn't worth it. there is such a small day to day change, the jump it doesn't make sense to.

Yeah I was thinking that aswell, but the phones battery is at like 60% after I abused it pretty bad, have had the phone for over 2 years. Switching kind off early because we're getting new data plans etc so the phones are going to be like 350 for the 11 and 370 for the S10, brand new.

1 minute ago, Buttefly said:

Yeah I was thinking that aswell, but the phones battery is at like 60% after I abused it pretty bad, have had the phone for over 2 years. Switching kind off early because we're getting new data plans etc so the phones are going to be like 350 for the 11 and 370 for the S10, brand new.

at least to me I'd just buy a battery and swap it and save the money.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The s8+ is still a powerful device. I would just change the battery or at least keep it until apple releases the iphone 12 so it is cheaper.

6 hours ago, Buttefly said:

I'm upgrading from my old S8+ very soon, and the choice is between an iPhone 11 and a Samsung Galaxy S10. 

I currently have a pair of galaxy buds, and with the 11 I would get a pair of Airpods for free (some kinda deal they have atm). The price difference is minimal, 20 dollars I think it was.

Of the two, I would lean iPhone 11 and not just because of my own preferences.

Battery life plays an important role.  The S10's battery is fine, but there's fine and there's genuinely impressive like on the iPhone 11.  Yeah, you have an 828p screen, but it's still quite a nice screen and it does help with longevity.

The other bit: cameras.  The S10 technically has more cameras, but I'm a bit annoyed with Samsung's tendency to oversharpen images and produce a cooler hue.  Apple's processing is warmer and just more natural overall.  That and its portrait mode imagery is more accurate.

Performance will be better, although that's not the biggest factor since the S10 is still decent.

To me, support also plays a key role.  It still baffles me that people think waiting months for an OS update is acceptable, let alone having a roughly two year hard cutoff for major OS updates.  I like knowing that software support is guaranteed to last for the practical life of the phone if I intend to keep it for longer than a couple of years.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:51 AM, Buttefly said:

The iPhone is the better phone in pretty much every way in spec. Depends if you wanna defect to iOS or not. iPhone will last longer too the S8+ isn’t getting any more updates and the S10 will only get 1 more. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Unless you have a bias towards android I cant think of a single reason to go for the S10 over the iPhone. The iPhone will have significantly longer software support (The S10 is already swiftly approaching EOL), the camera is proven to be better (unless you NEED a telephoto lens in which case the S10 is your go to), battery life is much better on the iPhone even though the fast charger is sold seperarely, theres no excuses for that. 

With a pentile OLED layout, a very high pixel density is desirable to reduce or eliminate the negative visual impact. With an RGB layout (common in IPS panels), this isn’t quite so necessary within reason. To that end, the iPhone 11 display pixel density is fine. More important to my use case is color accuracy as I do a fair bit of photo editing on my own iPhone 11.

The monstrous single thread performance of that A13 chip was also a factor as it will hold its own in demanding web pages for years to come. Was actually quite useful last week to grab contact information from the notoriously heavy corporate email site (the desktop version no less, as I couldn’t get contact information via the mobile site). Given I had pulled off to the side of the road to do this during commute, the speed was a godsend. My previous device struggled badly with the desktop site. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…