Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DB1997

RAM not Running At Advertised Speed

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, I just got my computer fixed at a store because it wouldn't boot. Turned out it was a bad stick of ram so I am using the good stick of ram from the pair and running my desktop on it. The problem is however when I go into BIOS and everything is on auto it is running at 2133MHz which is normal I know. However when I go into the tweaker and enable DOCP and it detects and sets itself to 3600MHz which is the speed the ram is supposed to run at and I exit, it restarts until it boots in safe mode and I have to go back in and change it back to auto and 2133 speed. What could be causing this issue? Is it because there is only one stick of ram or am I missing something? The DOCP takes the voltage to 1.35V from the regular 1.2V it runs at in auto as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My ram is TridentZ Neo 3600MHz 2x16GB and my mobo is an ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus Wifi.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What motherboard? Anything past 2666MHz is considered OC'ing your memory with AM4, so sometimes mileage may vary even when running RAM at it's rated speed (3600MHz in your case). Boosting DRAM voltage is standard practice, and pretty well required past 3200MHz regardless. I recommend turning DOCP off, and manually clocking your RAM starting at 3000MHz, with DRAM voltage also manually set to 1.3500V, keep all other settings at stock, and test stability from 3000MHz and go up form there.


AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Noctua NF or Corsair ML?  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2 W/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

 

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2 W/ Black+White Sleeved Cables  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

 

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

 

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

 

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

 

Sold PC's  Big White

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, TheDailyProcrastinator said:

What motherboard? Anything past 2666MHz is considered OC'ing your memory with AM4, so sometimes mileage may vary even when running RAM at it's rated speed (3600MHz in your case). Boosting DRAM voltage is standard practice, and pretty well required past 3200MHz regardless. I recommend turning DOCP off, and manually clocking your RAM starting at 3000MHz, with DRAM voltage also manually set to 1.3500V, keep all other settings at stock, and test stability from 3000MHz and go up form there.

ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus Wifi. Before I started having problems with my computer the ram ran at 3600 without a problem, so I was wondering what could have changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DB1997 said:

ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus Wifi. Before I started having problems with my computer the ram ran at 3600 without a problem, so I was wondering what could have changed.

Interesting, any changes made that the issue followed? Or just out of the blue? ie. did you update the bios and the issue began afterward?


AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Noctua NF or Corsair ML?  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2 W/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

 

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2 W/ Black+White Sleeved Cables  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

 

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

 

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

 

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

 

Sold PC's  Big White

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, TheDailyProcrastinator said:

Interesting, any changes made that the issue followed? Or just out of the blue? ie. did you update the bios and the issue began afterward?

It had never quite run right since I built it back in October, it would sometimes get stuck on the DRAM portion of the boot. This advanced to DRAM or CPU error during boot and then finally in January after letting it sit for a month while I was away, came back and it was showing DRAM, CPU, VGA error. I RMA'd the RAM, then the motherboard twice, then the CPU finally. Issues persisted, updating the BIOS helped temporarily but then it wouldn't post at all. Finally took it in this past weekend because I was tired of messing with it. They tested each part, re-seated the CPU and found that there was a bad stick of ram out of the two even after sending it back. I hadn't messed with the BIOS settings really since before beginning the parts replacement process so nothing specific comes to mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DB1997 said:

It had never quite run right since I built it back in October, it would sometimes get stuck on the DRAM portion of the boot. This advanced to DRAM or CPU error during boot and then finally in January after letting it sit for a month while I was away, came back and it was showing DRAM, CPU, VGA error. I RMA'd the RAM, then the motherboard twice, then the CPU finally. Issues persisted, updating the BIOS helped temporarily but then it wouldn't post at all. Finally took it in this past weekend because I was tired of messing with it. They tested each part, re-seated the CPU and found that there was a bad stick of ram out of the two even after sending it back. I hadn't messed with the BIOS settings really since before beginning the parts replacement process so nothing specific comes to mind.

I remember your last post.

Did you try a fresh install of windows?


AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Noctua NF or Corsair ML?  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2 W/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

 

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2 W/ Black+White Sleeved Cables  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

 

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

 

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

 

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

 

Sold PC's  Big White

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, TheDailyProcrastinator said:

I remember your last post.

Did you try a fresh install of windows?

No I never did do that, taking the computer in managed to save me from trying that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×