In search for a vertically mounted AM4 air cooler.

Senzelian

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a high performance air cooler, that can be vertically mounted on a AM4 motherboard. (Bottom > Top airflow)
It also must be black.

So basically I'm looking for a unicorn.

Possible contenders are:

• Noctua NH-U12S Chromax.Black
  • Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (165mm, might be too tall)
  • be quiet! Dark Rock 4
  • be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
  • be quiet! Dark Rock Slim
  • Phanteks PH-TC14PE
  • Alpenföhn Brocken 3 Black Edition (165mm, might be too tall)
  • Arctic Freezer 33

I'm just not sure whether i can mount any of these vertically.

Maybe some of you either have any of those coolers or know of any alternatives?

Price doesn't matter.

You can mount pretty much any noctua cooler that uses the secufirm system vertically, as long as you have clearance.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

What case are you using and why are you planning to mount the cooler as such?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What case are you using and why are you planning to mount the cooler as such?

I'm using a Jonsbo UMX4.

It's one of those cases that uses bottom to top airflow for a cleaner design.

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I'm using a Jonsbo UMX4.

I'm guessing the biggest challenge will be getting proper airflow around the graphics card, as that will tend to choke the intake in that orientation. If you're doing CPU only things and only have a gt210 or something as a display adapter, though, you'll be fine.

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I'm using a Jonsbo UMX4.

The case seems to have a fairly standard cooling layout with a rear fan mount so there probably isn't any notable performance difference in having the cooler mounted horizontally or vertically. There are more fans at the top but the fan at the rear is closer to the cooler. 

What cpu and ram are you using?

The NH-D15 fits with the fans lowered but you'd need low profile ram for the front fan to go that low. With the front fan removed, the cooler can be 160mm tall and fit just fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

I'm guessing the biggest challenge will be getting proper airflow around the graphics card, as that will tend to choke the intake in that orientation. If you're doing CPU only things and only have a gt210 or something as a display adapter, though, you'll be fine.

The idea is to mount the GPU vertically with an adapter or mount it into a lower PCI-e slot.
I'm not quite sure how exactly I will do it, but getting an appropriate CPU cooler is the first step and then I'll figure it out from there.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The case seems to have a fairly standard cooling layout with a rear fan mount so there probably isn't any notable performance difference in having the cooler mounted horizontally or vertically. There are more fans at the top but the fan at the rear is closer to the cooler. 

What cpu and ram are you using?

The NH-D15 fits with the fans lowered but you'd need low profile ram for the front fan to go that low. With the front fan removed, the cooler can be 160mm tall and fit just fine. 

I won't be using the rear fan mount.

I'm currently using a Ryzen 7 2700 with 2x 16GB of G.Skill Aegis. The RAM doesn't have any heatspreaders on it.

I know a 2700 doesn't require a huge cooler, but I will upgrade sooner or later and I'd like to have some headroom so the fans can run fairly slow.

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

The idea is to mount the GPU vertically with an adapter or mount it into a lower PCI-e slot.
I'm not quite sure how exactly I will do it, but getting an appropriate CPU cooler is the first step and then I'll figure it out from there.

I won't be using the rear fan mount.

I'm currently using a Ryzen 7 2700 with 2x 16GB of G.Skill Aegis. The RAM doesn't have any heatspreaders on it.

I know a 2700 doesn't require a huge cooler, but I will upgrade sooner or later and I'd like to have some headroom so the fans can run fairly slow.

If money really isn't an issue, the NH-D15 is hard to go wrong with. The front fan might fit at the rear as exhaust as well.