should i update current version or update to 1909

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

image.thumb.png.087bbd4ab5fd028cd078955ece52561a.png

Edited by SansVarnic
fixed your photo - please imbed instead of link
8 minutes ago, MBogdan said:

<snip>

Run the updates first then the upgrade.

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Run the updates first then the upgrade.

+1

And then never touch Windows update again.

Sabre - i7-8086K - EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB - AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC - 16 GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 - 1TB Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 - 500GB Toshiba (Dell OEM) M.2 NVMe - 1TB Inland Professional SSD - 960GB SanDisk Ultra II - 4TB Seagate Barracuda - Corsair SF600 - Thermaltake Core V1 - Noctua NH-C14S

both.

the reason why build updates (and some bigger updates in between) show up as a seperate button, is so that they dont process automatically the very next time windows decides to shove them, and ofcourse gives users the chance to check for updates without shoving a big update.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

And then never touch Windows update again.

but why?

Just upgrade. Updates for current version are for people who don't want to upgrade. New version already contains all fixes from previous version. In case 1909 it may be a little different, but similar - if you made updates first, upgrade will go faster (I checked that by upgrading many computers last months). But after all you'll end with fully upgraded system. You'll do it fine no matter what. Just check for updates after upgrade.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

but why?

Microsoft has a name for people who click Windows Update on their own. I don't remember what it is, but I do know that they get updates pushed to them first. When someone complains about being an unpaid beta tester for Microsoft, that's usually why. Unless you want broken shit automatically delivered to your computer, don't proactively click Windows Update. When something is necessary, Microsoft will push it to you automatically.

Sabre - i7-8086K - EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB - AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC - 16 GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 - 1TB Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 - 500GB Toshiba (Dell OEM) M.2 NVMe - 1TB Inland Professional SSD - 960GB SanDisk Ultra II - 4TB Seagate Barracuda - Corsair SF600 - Thermaltake Core V1 - Noctua NH-C14S

Just now, aisle9 said:

Microsoft has a name for people who click Windows Update on their own. I don't remember what it is, but I do know that they get updates pushed to them first. When someone complains about being an unpaid beta tester for Microsoft, that's usually why. Unless you want broken shit automatically delivered to your computer, don't proactively click Windows Update. When something is necessary, Microsoft will push it to you automatically.

they dont push it any faster, updates get released on a specific date, endpoints pretty much run updates at their own pace, and are automatically installed whenever windows decides to run updates.

the difference is, when you install manually, you usually do so pretty quickly after release, so as a result you are the beta tester, because you were the first one to update.

in my opinion, you want to stay ahead of automatic updating, because automatic updates only happen when you least expect it (or, when you have the least time to deal with issues). and whenever you do update, make sure you've processed everything, or windows update will just go right back to messing with you.

also, microsoft changes workflow about windows update faster than they do build updates, that thing about clicking the update button may be more outdated than you give it credit for.

If someone don't want to update system, it's his choice. He can even use DOS and text editor and still made something great (like writing bestseller novel and become a millionaire). Telling people who update faster that you that they're free beta testers and complains at the same time that some people stay with win7 is strange. It means that only those who update system the same way as you are ok.