Canon 1Dx vs Canon 1Dx mark ii

Anden

So i have come to the point where i have decided to sell my trusty canon 1Dx after 550.000+ exposures and a shutter replacement it's time to go. What are you guys recommendations? I have wondered  about the mark ii, but i'm also kind of holding back since the price is so high and i feel time has moved on from these bulky bodies. What are you guys opinions?

5 hours ago, Anden said:

So i have come to the point where i have decided to sell my trusty canon 1Dx after 550.000+ exposures and a shutter replacement it's time to go. What are you guys recommendations? I have wondered  about the mark ii, but i'm also kind of holding back since the price is so high and i feel time has moved on from these bulky bodies. What are you guys opinions?

Can you  tell us more about what you'd be looking for in a replacement?

The 1dx series is amazing for shooting action and sports, but I'd be hesistant to recommend buying back into the line if you'd be better served by something higher-resolution and smaller (assuming that you can get away with it given the type of work you do.)

How important is having phase-detect AF vs contrast/mirrorless style AF to you?

42 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

The 1dx series is amazing for shooting action and sports, but I'd be hesistant to recommend buying back into the line if you'd be better served by something higher-resolution and smaller (assuming that you can get away with it given the type of work you do.)

Been looking at the 5Ds/R i've gotten more in to landscape since i bought the 1Dx, but it's still amazing at photgraphing birds and other wildlife so i've been putting it off for a while. The 18.1 mp probably shouldn't bother me, but i would want to go higher mp since it gives better sharpness and i can't really crop a photo that much you can change framing, but not zoom in as much as i wanted too. I would obviously like to remain in the canon universe even though the nikon D850 is miles ahead with 45,7 mp and 9fps, which would be the best of both worlds, but i want to keep my canon glass. 

51 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

Phase detect is obviously a huge plus, but mirrorless are fine too, if you have any recommendations. I am not a total beginner in this genre, but i wan't to hear other peoples opinions.

I'd probably look more at the 5D mkIV

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

If you can wait a *few* more months, the EOS R is going to drop in price again when the R5 comes out.

30 MP makes for some outstanding detail in photos when you put L-level glass in front of it.

There are absolutely other bodies out there with faster AF and shutter speeds but unless you absolutely need those capabilities, it's hard to find a better body that will

1) let you keep all your Canon glass

2) let you buy into the new stuff should you want to

3) come in at a sub-2K price

eos R or R5 look to be good replacements for a 1Dx

wait till the new R5 is out before looking.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

EOS R5 would look like a good option, or even the R6.

The EOS R is a decent camera, but I wouldn't use it for birding, though with a bit of patience and work, it can work, it's just not ideal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 5:13 AM, ThePointblank said:

EOS R5 would look like a good option, or even the R6.

The EOS R is a decent camera, but I wouldn't use it for birding, though with a bit of patience and work, it can work, it's just not ideal.

Thanks for all of the replies i was close to buying a eos r, but i got a deal on a 5DS at a bargain price new, so i bought that one. Still has better image quality than a 5D mark IV if you do it with the right settings, though the 5D mark iv is more of an allround camera.