(update: announced) 7 + 1 - new OnePlus 8 information

williamcll

Update: 

221240p1poez66yzyrimo7.jpg

Spoiler

News regarding Oneplus have been floating around this month, some confirmed but others remain a rumor:

For starters, Always On Display is coming back in a future patch:

The basic model Oneplus 8 Lite may be renamed into the Oneplus Z despite how poor non-number Oneplus phones sold in the past according to a XDA developers staff:

For the flagship, the specs are also found:

Onleaks have some renders of the phone:

oneplus-8-official-renders-in-all-colors

Perhaps Robert Downey Jr may have it as well, showing here that he is doing the promotions for the product:

Here's a possible picture of the pro version from somewhere in the mainland (possibly ShenZhen?)

005QVdGegy1gd9pd16rumj31r01httjq.jpg005QVdGegy1gd9pcz7sszj31ex0rhahu.jpg

Source:https://winfuture.de/news,114964.html#

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4487482945142233

Thoughts: While the specs do look competitive against other brands, I think I will wait for longer, since the Oneplus 6 is still doing pretty well for me honestly.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

at least pizza cam is gone

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

42 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

TFW they make AOD sound like a revolutionary new feature when its present on 99% of custom ROMs

which is funny cause it was present when they launched the one plus 6 only to remove it with a day one software update as soon as the phone got out of the box

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

I still can't believe they will go with punch hole and not keep motorized front cam. Such disappointment

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Well there is the K30 Pro coming out

Motorized front cam and SD865

Yeah I know, there are alternatives, but you know, kinda saddens me when top popular brands with also high end specs scuff design like so. =/

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Oneplus scuffed their designs long ago when they decided to take away the headphone jack and expandable storage. They have also lost out in what made the brand popular in the first place.

It was inevitable. Founder and director of the company Carl Pei said long ago that he was inspired by Apple's success and wants to emulate it. This means it will inevitably become the polar opposite of that the company stood for in the first place.

Yeah, I understand that... I know they want to chase their success. Personally, I don't mind lack of 3.5mm jack and expandable storage per say, I'd just attack that short dongle on my earbuds cable and leave it, and go with higher internal fast capacity. I get some miss options.

But indeed kinda seems most brands will come to overall peak about everything and some things will differentiate them only. Maybe top brands should actually provide more years of OS upgrades.

I'll start a new thread once the reviews start coming in.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

• 2 weeks later...

minor update:

Update: check OP for announcement video.

Disappointed by the price. Here in Sweden the cheapest OP8 Pro starts at our "1,000 dollars" mark. You can get the Galaxy S20 (non 5G) for less than the cheapest OP8 Pro here.

Disappointed that they still have that macro camera which has never been good or useful. Want a macro camera? Do what Samsung does and have a telephoto camera with a short enough focus distance to be able to do macro shots. Or just skip the macro capabilities and give us a telephoto camera. It's far more useful.

I wonder if OnePlus actually uses a true 10 bit display in their phone or if it's an 8 bit panel with dithering.

On 3/30/2020 at 4:29 PM, Doobeedoo said:

I still can't believe they will go with punch hole and not keep motorized front cam. Such disappointment

I don't get why people love motorized cameras so much.

They are:

1) Prone to failure.

2) Slower.

3) Adds weight and takes up size in the phone.

4) Less water proof

And for what? A tiny, tiny bit of extra space in the notification area?

OnePlus 8 is a great phone. Too bad it runs Google's garbage and now has "premium" price tag as well, kinda defeating what OnePlus used to be. Cheap but high end for that money.

25 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Too bad it runs Google's garbage

What would you like to see it run instead?

3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Am I the only one who cares about the new Bullets earbuds?

The Bullets Z or whatever they were?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The Bullets Z or whatever they were?

Yep. For $50 and 10 hours of music for 10 minutes of charge, they could be a smash if they sound good.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't get why people love motorized cameras so much.

They are:

1) Prone to failure.

2) Slower.

3) Adds weight and takes up size in the phone.

4) Less water proof

And for what? A tiny, tiny bit of extra space in the notification area?

It's not that I love it, but it doesn't eat into display. Would rater have those quirks than a freaking hole in a nice display, on a phone that is €1000+ it's unacceptable to me. I don't use front cam but I look at the display all the time and it feels like a huge dead pixel of sort. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Well, that's the problem with duopoly. It's either shitty privacy nightmare Android or slightly better iOS. Or XDA brewed one off Google-less versions of Android that hopefulyl work with your phone (unlikely). Yeah, it' sucks how mobile world evolved. Android as it is is fine, but without Google junk it's essentially useless because apps depend so heavily on their proprietary frameworks.

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

Yep. For $50 and 10 hours of music for 10 minutes of charge, they could be a smash if they sound good.

From what I can gather, the BW2 has better drivers, support for higher-quality audio-codec ie. aptX HD, Qualcomm cVc Noice cancellation Technology (no idea how good that is), 14h play-time. The BWZ has worse drivers, supports only lower-quality audio-codec ie. aptX non-HD, no cVc, but has 6h more play-time, costs about half of the BW2's price and has IP55-rating. No idea about BWZ's call-quality.

I'm not an audio-nerd and I don't listen to music, so I don't have much of a personal opinion here. For me, the most important thing would be the call-quality and according to reviews, the BW2 has really good call-quality. BWZ is an unknown at the moment.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Funny enough oneplus 7 can now run on Windows 10 ARM edition.

I might write about that.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

/e/ 

4 hours ago, WereCatf said:

From what I can gather, the BW2 has better drivers, support for higher-quality audio-codec ie. aptX HD, Qualcomm cVc Noice cancellation Technology (no idea how good that is), 14h play-time. The BWZ has worse drivers, supports only lower-quality audio-codec ie. aptX non-HD, no cVc, but has 6h more play-time, costs about half of the BW2's price and has IP55-rating. No idea about BWZ's call-quality.

I'm not an audio-nerd and I don't listen to music, so I don't have much of a personal opinion here. For me, the most important thing would be the call-quality and according to reviews, the BW2 has really good call-quality. BWZ is an unknown at the moment.

but bw2 got discontinued