PC suddenly unable to boot even from bootable USB

Chanutte
Go to solution Solved by Chanutte,

I think I figured it out!

I believe that my SSD was defective, so that failed to register in the boot menu. My HDD that I was using did not have windows installed, so that failed to boot as well. I also think that that my bootable USB did not boot because it didn’t detect an MBR disk that it could preform the setup on.

The HDD that was from an old PC booted, which tells me it wasn’t a motherboard issue.  The old HDD is slow as molasses because none of the drivers are up to date with the new system but I’ll be able to create an MBR partition on the drive I want to use and then use that until I can get a warranty replacement on the SSD.

Hello all and thanks for reading in advance. 

A few days ago I installed an NVME SSD in my computer, installed windows, and got everything working properly, This morning I tried to turn on my computer and got this error:

“Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key”

Before I added my NVME SSD I was using a HDD that was working perfectly before today. 

When I saw this error I restarted and entered the boot menu. I tried to boot off the SSD again which did not work. I restarted and went into the BIOS do my settings, which seemed to be fine. I then swapped the m.2 slot for my SSD and tried again. After that, my SSD detected in the security page of my BIOS but not in the boot page. I then decided to try to boot from the Bootable SSD that I had used to install windows on my SSD when I was setting it up a few days ago. I got the same error message when I tried to boot from the USB. After a couple more attempts my PC didn’t detect any boot devices in the boot menu or the boot page of the BIOS. But they still detected in the security page. I then cleared the CMOS, which got everything to detect again but did not solve the problem. I also tried reseting the BIOS settings to default, which also had no effect. At this point I’m at a loss and I’m wondering if I need to RMA my motherboard. Any advice would be appreciated. Full system specs are below:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x

Mobo: ASrock X570 Pro4

Ram: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4-3000

GPU: ASUS Tuf Gaming RTX2060

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

HDD: Western Digital 4TB, Model WD4000FYYZ-05UL1B0

Power Supply: Corsair CX-650M

BIOS: 1.0? I cleared the CMOS and I don’t remember the factory version.

Edit: Accidentally put Mobo specs instead of CPU

Edited by Chanutte

Is the Mobo set to UEFI disk boot only? Because the disk may be MBR insted of UFI. Also try BIOS update

Specs:

Spoiler

Desktop:

RYZEN 7 2700X

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

Gigabyte RTX 2060 6G OC

MASTERWATT 750

FRACTAL FOCUS G

KINGSTON A400 480

Bad Laptop:

1st gen mobile i5

Integrated Graphics

350GB HDD

8GB Maxed Out

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard: Old Sony Mechanical Keyboard

Mouse: Wacom Intuos 3 (2009)

Speakers: Old sony speakers w/ integrated headphone amp

I try my best.

What is the boot priority?

also love your profile pic

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

36 minutes ago, Theo Temp said:

Is the Mobo set to UEFI disk boot only? Because the disk may be MBR insted of UFI. Also try BIOS update

Hi,

Can you go into a bit more detail about this? The windows setup configured my SSD, and to get the full 4 tb on my drive I converted it to a GPT partition. I still don’t know why an issue with any of my drives would prevent the PC from booting from a bootable USB. I’m also not able to find any setting in my bios for UEFI disk boot.

hmm. this situation goes a bit deeper than i expected. Anyone elese that can help?

Specs:

Spoiler

Desktop:

RYZEN 7 2700X

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

Gigabyte RTX 2060 6G OC

MASTERWATT 750

FRACTAL FOCUS G

KINGSTON A400 480

Bad Laptop:

1st gen mobile i5

Integrated Graphics

350GB HDD

8GB Maxed Out

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard: Old Sony Mechanical Keyboard

Mouse: Wacom Intuos 3 (2009)

Speakers: Old sony speakers w/ integrated headphone amp

I try my best.

Changing the disk booting to from only uefi only to something like mbr might work or maybe take the cmos battery out and replace it?

Also Is there a legacy mode in your bios? i remember enabling that on an old laptop to boot to a usb so try that too

57 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Changing the disk booting to from only uefi only to something like mbr might work or maybe take the cmos battery out and replace it?

Also Is there a legacy mode in your bios? i remember enabling that on an old laptop to boot to a usb so try that too

Pulling out the CMOS battery didn’t work. 

My current theory is that the bootable drive won’t boot if there isn’t a suitable disk to write to. If my SSD is dead and the windows setup isn’t compatible with a GPT drive it would make sense why nothing will boot. 

I’m going to try to plug in a drive from an old PC and see if that works.

Another thing that I noticed is that when choosing boot priority the SSD doesn’t appear. But it does appear if I go into the security menu or the advanced storage settings. If the SSD is defective that might explain that.

2 minutes ago, Chanutte said:

Pulling out the CMOS battery didn’t work. 

My current theory is that the bootable drive won’t boot if there isn’t a suitable disk to write to. If my SSD is dead and the windows setup isn’t compatible with a GPT drive it would make sense why nothing will boot. 

I’m going to try to plug in a drive from an old PC and see if that works.

Another thing that I noticed is that when choosing boot priority the SSD doesn’t appear. But it does appear if I go into the security menu or the advanced storage settings. If the SSD is defective that might explain that.

Strange, yeah try the old pc method but i don't have any other advice sorry

I think I figured it out!

I believe that my SSD was defective, so that failed to register in the boot menu. My HDD that I was using did not have windows installed, so that failed to boot as well. I also think that that my bootable USB did not boot because it didn’t detect an MBR disk that it could preform the setup on.

The HDD that was from an old PC booted, which tells me it wasn’t a motherboard issue.  The old HDD is slow as molasses because none of the drivers are up to date with the new system but I’ll be able to create an MBR partition on the drive I want to use and then use that until I can get a warranty replacement on the SSD.