Memory and my stupidity.

alright so, i have been building computers and fixing them up for a long time. while when it comes to the people i help out and build computers for i am very much a by the book kinda guy. but when it comes to my own pc i tend to get a little dumb and make alot of mistakes.

the one im bringing up now is that i have a set of gskill trident z  ddr4 3200 16 kit. a while back i wanted get more memory and happened to have a rare amount of extra cash for me. and being the goober i am i went to best buy to pick up another set of that ram given that i knew they had it. unfortunately for me they were out and so i made the big brain choice of picking up a corsair vengeance pro 32 gig kit and just added it to my pc. it was also ddr4 3200 but now i have both sets of ram in my pc.

i dont actually have any evidence that has impacted my computer negatively just a creeping suspicion given that i have had some weird errors and crashes i cant pin down. my question is more does it benefit enough to have the full 48 gigs of ram in there at the risk of potential problems that may or may not be there and is there problems that would come out of doing what i have done.

on why i would need 48 gigs in the first place. im a film editor that regularly works with 4k and in after effects. sorry if this came off rambally or weird i honestly have never really done anything like posting in a forum before,

any thoughts and suggestions would be helpful thank you.

You should consider doing some chapter division on your text, such a wall of text is not pleasant to read!

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

maybe that the timings on the sets are different and causing it to go into single channel mode?

maybe a near death module?

but my main suggestion would be pull all of the sticks out and carefully put them in one by one making sure they are seated properly. (this would fix the problem if theres a small piece of dust, not a good enough connection etc)

2 minutes ago, Tundral said:

You should consider doing some chapter division on your text, such a wall of text is not pleasant to read!

im sorry. is that better?

1 minute ago, bronsonj said:

also welcome to ltt forums!

thank you :) weirdly enough ive been watching LTT for like a solid 10 years or more maybe? just get alot of anxiety from being on things like this haha

5 minutes ago, bronsonj said:

maybe that the timings on the sets are different and causing it to go into single channel mode?

maybe a near death module?

but my main suggestion would be pull all of the sticks out and carefully put them in one by one making sure they are seated properly. (this would fix the problem if theres a small piece of dust, not a good enough connection etc)

so the thing is i dont have any observable problem per say that i can test to see if its causing problems just you know every now and again premerie or a game crashes for no obvious reason. things like that. so im not even sure if have both kits of ram is causing an issue.

ive looked up running two different memory kits and all the answers i have seen for questions like that is from someone looking to buy them and they just get told no.well i already made the fantastic choice to do that so those kinda answers dont exactly help me :P

2 hours ago, poveros said:

im sorry. is that better?

Yes, a lot better thank you!

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

12 hours ago, poveros said:

so the thing is i dont have any observable problem per say that i can test to see if its causing problems just you know every now and again premerie or a game crashes for no obvious reason. things like that. so im not even sure if have both kits of ram is causing an issue.

ive looked up running two different memory kits and all the answers i have seen for questions like that is from someone looking to buy them and they just get told no.well i already made the fantastic choice to do that so those kinda answers dont exactly help me :P

Generally speaking, I've never had much of an issue running two or three different sets of memory in the same system. Certain motherboards and CPU's are more tolerant to it, but any of my Intel systems have basically run everything I throw in. If you're having issues, pull the new ram back out, and see if it goes away. That will give you your answer if it is the new ram causing the issue. It also might be advisable to bring the memory speed down to the CPU's rated, as 4 DIMM's does put a larger load on the memory controller.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64