Mac G4 Case Mod - Airflow

Marvinuk

Hi,

As I'm stuck in the house like the rest for the world I've started to mod an old apple g4 case for a Hackintosh, and everything went ok, but this case it really limited on air flow in that the are 2 possibe fan locations  one at the bottom of the case and one in the middle. I've stuck with the bottom as its not obstructed and there is about 3cm clearance. The issue is its getting toasty in there so I've not sure is it best to bring cooler in where there is limited flow out or shout I extract the the air out of the case? I've using a Noctua NF-A14 industrialppc-3000 PWM fan which I'm assuming is a good fan. 

0B44309E-CCB6-4833-B6C3-8637DACFAFE4.jpeg

DE296C8F-7630-4392-9114-13B623EAA57A.jpeg

7F2C0FB8-24E3-4F4B-B711-28EA9A832407.jpeg

It's an issue many people have had. Some put some small noctua's on the back grind next to the motherboard others added a hole in the case for more airflow.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

It's an issue many people have had. Some put some small noctua's on the back grind next to the motherboard others added a hole in the case for more airflow.

thanks I'll take a look, might try using the bottom fan to push the hot air out first to see if it make a difference 

4 minutes ago, Marvinuk said:

thanks I'll take a look, might try using the bottom fan to push the hot air out first to see if it make a difference 

The airflow in this case is basically. Pull air through psu fan and that's it.

For my Xbox PC build, I used one of those large cutting drill bits (I think they are called hole saws) to create a hole for a 120mm fan on the bottom for intake. You can easily put some mesh or a 120mm filter under the fan. This is especially a good idea if you are putting it on the ground. I imagine you could fit 2 more on the bottom. However, that means you run the risk of messing up the aesthetics of the mod if your not careful. Measure once, cut twice. Also, im not sure what material you';d be cutting through but you should be able to find a bit that will fit.

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

Gmmk Pro  - Gateron ink Black v2 lubed and filmed - GMK Red Samurai - PC plate - Zeal stabs

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 

• 7 months later...

Love the black on yellow. I retired my i5 4690S + RX570 hackintosh in a G4 Quicksilver case literally this week. Was cool enough. 75C on the CPU at full tilt with that useless intel stock cooler. The 4690S is a 65W piece though, did buy the S version on purpose with this case in mind back in the day. So, how hot is the system actually? What hardware are you using?

I think this is probably not really fixable in a satisfying way, but here are some suggestions:

* Cut a hole, add a bottom fan. Needs to be strong enough to push air out through all other holes. - DONE, good fan choice

* Intel CPU on Z series mainboard? Set proper power limits, built a 10700 hackintosh lately and it was cooking itself, because of ridiculous default power limits.

* Remove the mainboard back plate to have a larger hole to exhaust hot air. The bottom fan will help push it out.

* Use a PSU that pulls air from the cable side and pushes towards the backside. Your PSU is figthing against the CPU cooler

Good luck!

Edited by snady