Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
matt_franks

getting a new power supply please help

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm currently vamping up my pc and i want to upgrade my power supply

Current pc: radeon 5 3600x, gtx 1050ti (upgrading to an rtx 2060(reason for power supply upgrade)) 16gb ram, corsair cx500.

i want to upgrade to a 600w or 650w power supply but i dont want to spend a bunch on the power supply but if there arent any reliably good ones that are cheap then ill go with whatever

(hoping for as close to $100 as possible and lower if possible)

Conventional wisdom is look at the PSU tierlist in the PSU thread.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, Juular said:

You don't need 650W. Get Corsair CX for 70$ or Seasonic Focus for 95$.

Don't cheap out on a cx, unsure about if it is only peak wattage or something

5 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

the CX is a pretty good budget PSU. 

its not peak wattage, its continuous. 

7 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

I have a txm 650w from corsair, really solid gold 80+ and is £90

80+ gold doesnt mean its good. in fact the cx can be considered to be better than many 80+ gold PSUs. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the CX is a pretty good budget PSU. 

its not peak wattage, its continuous. 

80+ gold doesnt mean its good. in fact the cx can be considered to be better than many 80+ gold PSUs. 

Well said but from experience and reviews (i've had both psus) and the txm is a bit quieter and has lasted longer

Just now, GougedKirby522 said:

the txm is a bit quieter and has lasted longer

yeah the TXM is better, im just pointing  out that it being 80+ gold doesnt neccesarly mean its better. 

and you saying its lasted longer means you have done endurance testing on both greylabel PSUs?

1 minute ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Well said but from experience and reviews (i've had both psus)

from reviews the cx is considered a pretty good budget PSU. from actual reviews, not customer reviews. 

18 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

It's not peak wattage, it's continuous and it's peak wattage are about 25% more than it's rated for, as with most modern PSUs. It's fairly good quality PSU, modern topology, not the type you will be 'cheaping out' with. But i agree that getting better PSU wouldn't hurt, hence my recommendation of either cheap mid-end PSU or more expensive high-end one.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

yeah the TXM is better, im just pointing  out that it being 80+ gold doesnt neccesarly mean its better. 

and you saying its lasted longer means you have done endurance testing on both greylabel PSUs?

from reviews the cx is considered a pretty good budget PSU. from actual reviews, not customer reviews. 

I haven't done endurance testing, but my old rig ran a cx and it died after a year and my txm has been going for a year and a half but both are good regardless, just speaking from experiences i've had.

what you're saying is completely right and i'm not arguing that the cx isn't good :)

but my old rig ran a cx and it died

cx greylabel or greenlabel? and was it the PSU that died or something else. 

not that it really matters, but its allways nice to find this sort of stuff out.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

cx greylabel or greenlabel? and was it the PSU that died or something else. 

not that it really matters, but its allways nice to find this sort of stuff out.

Grey, the psu stopped working as i tried it on my server rig to test it after it died

I haven't done endurance testing, but my old rig ran a cx and it died after a year and my txm has been going for a year and a half but both are good regardless, just speaking from experiences i've had

What CX (there's multiple versions), what rig, why\how died, did you RMA it ? PSU shouldn't die in a year if it were used in specified conditions, not heavily overloaded or under high ambient temperature (higher than 40°C in this case), it could also die if the quality of your mains power are low (voltage surges and such).

Grey 

huh, interesting. 

unlucky i suppose. does happen from time to time with dud PSUs. 

Just now, Juular said:

What CX (there's multiple versions), what rig, why\how died, did you RMA it ? PSU shouldn't die in a year if it were used in specified conditions, not heavily overloaded or under high ambient temperature (higher than 40°C in this case), it could also die if the quality of your mains power are low (voltage surges and such).

Newest revision, grey label, normal ambient and mains power isn't low quality. I suspected a capacitor went 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

huh, interesting. 

unlucky i suppose. does happen from time to time with dud PSUs. 

Probably a bad batch or something

I suspected a capacitor went 

That's highly unlikely but if you don't have definitive reason why it died this is pointless discussion, PSU die randomly, there's always some chance, that's what warranty are for.

Probably a bad batch or something

yeah, its nice to keep an eye on hardware like this as sometimes you find otherwise good products that have tons of QC issues. easiest to point to then is Razer blade 2017-2019

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

yeah, its nice to keep an eye on hardware like this as sometimes you find otherwise good products that have tons of QC issues. easiest to point to then is Razer blade 2017-2019

Yup, remember when blades randomly woke up 🤣

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

That's highly unlikely but if you don't have definitive reason why it died this is pointless discussion, PSU die randomly, there's always some chance, that's what warranty are for.

Well all i know is that it died, thats just something I thought as i've seen capacitors pop before and i heard a pop sound from the psu before it stopped working.