Nvidia Quadro 2000 not working after reapplying thermal paste

Dieter.koenig

So, I tried to clean the paste on the gpu Nvidia Quadro 2000 from HP ML110 G6 for the second time cause it was going on 87C when gaming which it started to throttle and the fps were dropping. This is the second time I am cleaning the GPU and never had such kind of problems. The PC after starting makes 3 beep sounds and the monitor doesn't show any signal

The thermal paste I used it is electrically non-conductive and I did carefully cleaned the old thermal paste with wet alcoholic towels as I did on the first time but now it's not showing any signal. Thanks for any will of help

Check if you have plugged in the fans and mounted the heatsink properly.  Check the PCIe power cables as well. It is unlikely that you have damaged an SMD on the GPU PCB.

As a wise master once said, 

Put as much effort into your question as you would expect a stranger to add to their answer!

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 5 3800XT | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 4000Mhz CL18 | MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X | Two WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe SSD | Corsair AX850 Titanium | Fractal Design Define 7 White, Solid

Laptop: Apple Macbook Pro 16 | i9 9980H | 16 GB RAM |  1TB SSD | AppleCare+ | Space Grey

Peripherals: RAMA U-80 Lake | Logitech MX Master 3 | Kanto YU2 White + Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO 

Displays: LG GX 55"| Acer XB273K | Dell Ultrasharp U2720Q | LG 32UN650-W 

11 minutes ago, TeeKayTK said:

Check if you have plugged in the fans and mounted the heatsink properly.  Check the PCIe power cables as well. It is unlikely that you have damaged an SMD on the GPU PCB.

I actually tried like dozens of time inserting and taking it off from the PCI-e slot, as well as trying to clean the leftovers of the thermal paste on the gpu chip corners but it still doesn't show any signal. It just beeps 3 times , 1 long beep then 2 short beeps after and it doesn't show any signal. The only way I can access the PC is buy using it's on-board graphics and motherboard VGA Output, even this way I have only an old CRT monitor which I can't even use the pc with it. Not sure why it does that way , I have cleaned even before, not just the GPU thermal paste but also the CPU and Chipset one as well as the whole pc tower from the dust with wet alcohol towels and everything was working just fine with better temps, after doing it once again now it doesn't show any kind of signal.. 

P.s: The Gpu is low-end profile and it doesn't really need any extended powers to work, the fan is also working just fine without any problem.

6 minutes ago, Dieter.koenig said:

I actually tried like dozens of time inserting and taking it off from the PCI-e slot, as well as trying to clean the leftovers of the thermal paste on the gpu chip corners but it still doesn't show any signal. It just beeps 3 times , 1 long beep then 2 short beeps after and it doesn't show any signal. The only way I can access the PC is buy using it's on-board graphics and motherboard VGA Output, even this way I have only an old CRT monitor which I can't even use the pc with it. Not sure why it does that way , I have cleaned even before, not just the GPU thermal paste but also the CPU and Chipset one as well as the whole pc tower from the dust with wet alcohol towels and everything was working just fine with better temps, after doing it once again now it doesn't show any kind of signal.. 

P.s: The Gpu is low-end profile and it doesn't really need any extended powers to work, the fan is also working just fine without any problem.

The beeps is an error code. It indicates a problem in your manual.

As a wise master once said, 

Put as much effort into your question as you would expect a stranger to add to their answer!

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 5 3800XT | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 4000Mhz CL18 | MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X | Two WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe SSD | Corsair AX850 Titanium | Fractal Design Define 7 White, Solid

Laptop: Apple Macbook Pro 16 | i9 9980H | 16 GB RAM |  1TB SSD | AppleCare+ | Space Grey

Peripherals: RAMA U-80 Lake | Logitech MX Master 3 | Kanto YU2 White + Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO 

Displays: LG GX 55"| Acer XB273K | Dell Ultrasharp U2720Q | LG 32UN650-W 

according to the site lined below this is what 1 long 2 short is. 1 long and 2 short beeps: Video card error and that is a "no duh" moment. but looking at the second linked site, it could give you a little more info.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/one-short-beep-then-two-long-beeps.628751/

https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#05

12 minutes ago, tdkid said:

according to the site lined below this is what 1 long 2 short is. 1 long and 2 short beeps: Video card error and that is a "no duh" moment. but looking at the second linked site, it could give you a little more info.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/one-short-beep-then-two-long-beeps.628751/

https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#05

Does it mean the GPU is basically dead? Like how is it possible to fail like that, I did the same thing as before cleaning it carefully with wet alcohol towels and also the dusts on the fan and that's all about it? Is there any way i can fix that GPU? I am quarantined and this PC (GPU) is the only PC I have here, I can't even go outside

well I want to say yes it is but I can not say for sure as I don't know. both say its a software issue. I don't know when you bought it but being released in 2010 it has basically lasted as long as its going to and a new one needs to be used. but this is an answer you do not want to hear. so I know that you probably don't have that much thermal paste left if any at all so I don't know if you want to do it or not but if you are willing then open it back up and look at the PCB closely. is there anything that seems to be missing or out of place?

tech guy: 1 long and 2 short beeps: Video card error

computerhope: 1 long, 2 short
Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information.

27 minutes ago, tdkid said:

well I want to say yes it is but I can not say for sure as I don't know. both say its a software issue. I don't know when you bought it but being released in 2010 it has basically lasted as long as its going to and a new one needs to be used. but this is an answer you do not want to hear. so I know that you probably don't have that much thermal paste left if any at all so I don't know if you want to do it or not but if you are willing then open it back up and look at the PCB closely. is there anything that seems to be missing or out of place?

tech guy: 1 long and 2 short beeps: Video card error

computerhope: 1 long, 2 short
Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information.

I actually bought it a year ago it was in the 19.01.2019 in the warranty sheet, it is an refurbished sever HP ProLiant Ml110 G6 Server which was working pretty good and it the first time I opened the server case to clean the dust out the components there were all looking as new ones, didn't really had any problem until now. Also, you are damn right, I have no thermal paste left as I used it like 5 times unfortunately. I can see it does look the same as before and I don't really see anything wrong there, there's some photo of it unscrewed: 

20200330_031401.jpg

20200330_031135.jpg

20200330_031419.jpg

20200330_031149.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dieter.koenig said:

I actually bought it a year ago it was in the 19.01.2019 in the warranty sheet, it is an refurbished sever HP ProLiant Ml110 G6 Server which was working pretty good and it the first time I opened the server case to clean the dust out the components there were all looking as new ones, didn't really had any problem until now. Also, you are damn right, I have no thermal paste left as I used it like 5 times unfortunately. I can see it does look the same as before and I don't really see anything wrong there, there's some photo of it unscrewed: 

20200330_031401.jpg

20200330_031135.jpg

20200330_031419.jpg

20200330_031149.jpg

I see you have the perfect carpet/mat for creating static electricity. Have you grounded yourself before touching, taking apart your GPU?

Also resting your GPU like this on your carpet/mat is a BIG NO GO! My suspicion is you killed it with your static electricity.

To be an expert is to know more about less.

• 2014 Build --> FX 8350 4.7GHz {} ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer {} Reference GTX 980 4GB {} 2x4GB 1866MHz HyperX {} Seagate 2TB 7200rpm {} 840 EVO 120GB {} XFX PRO850W {} Noctua NH D14 {} Fractal Define R4 White Windowed
  • 2018 Build --> Ryzen 7 2700X {} ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 {} Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB {} 2x8GB HX Fury 3200MHz {} Toshiba P300 2TB {} Kingston 480GB A1000 {} Corsair RM750W {} Enermax LIQMAX II 240 {} Fractal Focus G
  • 2021 Build --> Ryzen 9 5900X {} ASUS ROG Strix X570-F GAMING {} ASUS GeForce RTX 3080Ti ROG STRIX OC {} Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB {} Kingston KC2500 M.2 2280 NVMe 2TB {} Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 {} ASUS ROG Ryujin 240 AIO {} NYXT H710i
  • Laptop --> ASUS ROG STRIX G713RS {} Ryzen 9 6900HX {} 32GB DDR5 {} RTX 3080 {} 1TB NVMe {} Win 11 Home

yeah I figured you didn't because even the big ones packages of it usually can only be used two or three times before you are out. I have no idea what this card looks like new so I can not say if it is all there or not. where did you buy it from? one thing I can tell you is to avoid "used" or "refurbished" as most of the time with those people sell them to make some money back after having to buy a new GPU because the one that they sold failed.

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

yeah I figured you didn't because even the big ones packages of it usually can only be used two or three times before you are out. I have no idea what this card looks like new so I can not say if it is all there or not. where did you buy it from? one thing I can tell you is to avoid "used" or "refurbished" as most of the time with those people sell them to make some money back after having to buy a new GPU because the one that they sold failed.

Actually I bought the whole setup, Desktop, Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse for 200 Euro as that was the budget I had before. I am regreting now so bad that I should have gotten like GTX 1050 TI and a better CPU as I have an 240Hz monitor which I bought for the upcoming high end build and can't really use the full potential of 240Hz because of the DisplayPort 1.1a Limited Version. Buttt I don't know what I'm gonna be doing the next days. Anyways thanks a lot for your time bud, I really appreciate your help.

19 minutes ago, greeatzy said:

I see you have the perfect carpet for creating static electricity. Have you grounded yourself before touching, taking apart your GPU?

Also resting your GPU like this on your carpet is a BIG NO GO! My suspicion is you killed it with your static electricity.

Lmao, I'm feeling roasted right now :V The carpet is not that "fluffy" as it looks in the photo to be creating static electricity. I wasn't really grounded as I have no anti static wrist strap right here, as I remember I wasn't grounded the first time as well , and I reapplied the thermal paste in that carpet as well but I hope I didn't killed it with static electricity damnn because I would be screwed this time.. Also I didn't feel any kind of discharge after reapplying the thermal paste

P.s: I did reapplied the thermal paste on the table as well, it started to that since I first put the gpu on the slot, so I doubt it's killed from static electricity

1 minute ago, Dieter.koenig said:

Lmao, I'm feeling roasted right now :V The carpet is not that "fluffy" as it looks in the photo to be creating static electricity. I wasn't really grounded as I have no anti static wrist strap right here, as I remember I wasn't grounded the first time as well , and I reapplied the thermal paste in that carpet as well but I hope I didn't killed it with static electricity damnn because I would be screwed this time..

It doesn't matter if the carpet is not that "fluffy" it still can create small amount of charge to you. You can have static electricity in your body because of clothes also. Every time when doing operations like this changing the thermal paste etc. when your basically touching the PCB you need to ground yourself. A good alternative would have been a PSU - plug it in to the wall but keep the switch off and then once in a while touch with your hand part of metal housing which doesn't have paint on it. This means when you touch the metal housing with your hand you are directly connected to the ground because the whole metal housing of the PSU is grounded.

To be an expert is to know more about less.

• 2014 Build --> FX 8350 4.7GHz {} ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer {} Reference GTX 980 4GB {} 2x4GB 1866MHz HyperX {} Seagate 2TB 7200rpm {} 840 EVO 120GB {} XFX PRO850W {} Noctua NH D14 {} Fractal Define R4 White Windowed
  • 2018 Build --> Ryzen 7 2700X {} ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 {} Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB {} 2x8GB HX Fury 3200MHz {} Toshiba P300 2TB {} Kingston 480GB A1000 {} Corsair RM750W {} Enermax LIQMAX II 240 {} Fractal Focus G
  • 2021 Build --> Ryzen 9 5900X {} ASUS ROG Strix X570-F GAMING {} ASUS GeForce RTX 3080Ti ROG STRIX OC {} Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB {} Kingston KC2500 M.2 2280 NVMe 2TB {} Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 {} ASUS ROG Ryujin 240 AIO {} NYXT H710i
  • Laptop --> ASUS ROG STRIX G713RS {} Ryzen 9 6900HX {} 32GB DDR5 {} RTX 3080 {} 1TB NVMe {} Win 11 Home

you are right and wrong. with modern cards you don't really need to worry about static that much as most computer components are built with that in mind so they have a way to discharge that static without effecting the card. however you are right because this card was first released in 2010 so it may not have those precautions. and its still a good idea either way.

Dieter.koenig

let me ask you this, do you still get mail? I am wondering because UPS, FedEx and other delivery services are still operational so you can still order a GPU and have it delivered to your house. I know because I ordered mine from EVGA and it came out of Anaheim CA from the EVGA main shipping location after the lockdown,

1 hour ago, greeatzy said:

It doesn't matter if the carpet is not that "fluffy" it still can create small amount of charge to you. You can have static electricity in your body because of clothes also. Every time when doing operations like this changing the thermal paste etc. when your basically touching the PCB you need to ground yourself. A good alternative would have been a PSU - plug it in to the wall but keep the switch off and then once in a while touch with your hand part of metal housing which doesn't have paint on it. This means when you touch the metal housing with your hand you are directly connected to the ground because the whole metal housing of the PSU is grounded.

If I killed the GPU with the static electricity discharge shouldn't it totally fry it without the fan working as usual? As well as I've heard you have to feel the discharge if it really damaged it but im this case I didn't really noticed or felt anything throughout the process.

I'm not still really sure about it, the fan is still working also I did changed the thermal paste even before and pretty much touched a lot that carpet as I know lol and never faced any kinds of glitch or errors.

P.s: Forgot to mention that I had the PSU plugged in while changing the thermals and touched the HP ProLiant ML110 G6 tower metals often 

48 minutes ago, tdkid said:

you are right and wrong. with modern cards you don't really need to worry about static that much as most computer components are built with that in mind so they have a way to discharge that static without effecting the card. however you are right because this card was first released in 2010 so it may not have those precautions. and its still a good idea either way.

Dieter.koenig

let me ask you this, do you still get mail? I am wondering because UPS, FedEx and other delivery services are still operational so you can still order a GPU and have it delivered to your house. I know because I ordered mine from EVGA and it came out of Anaheim CA from the EVGA main shipping location after the lockdown,

I'm not really sure about that, I didn't ordered anything last months but I don't think I can order or buy something at this time unfortunately.. I just want to fix that GPU that stopped working weirdly

The Refurbished PC Build I bought it on a store which sells such refurbished pcs, I didn't really occured any kind of problems for a whole year except it being limited to it's own capacity other than that nothing really

I am sure. the link below is the exact GPU I ordered from EVGA. I ordered it on the 18th of March and got it on the 25th. I was a little worried about it because I saw it coming from southern CA but came by UPS which is a "essential" service as you name it they deliver it, including medical supplies so they can not be shut down because the truck may be carrying those supplies.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3377-KR

15 minutes ago, tdkid said:

I am sure. the link below is the exact GPU I ordered from EVGA. I ordered it on the 18th of March and got it on the 25th. I was a little worried about it because I saw it coming from southern CA but came by UPS which is a "essential" service as you name it they deliver it, including medical supplies so they can not be shut down because the truck may be carrying those supplies.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3377-KR

Do you think it would be worth it buying the same GPU again or a new one? But things should be noted that I have to wait for months to get the ordered items as i'm not that lucky anymore when it comes to orders.. Last order took me 2 months to arrive and judging the time it would be still the same as I am quarantined yet and not sure how long the epidemy gonna last. I found the same GPU used on eBay for 36$ and if i'm going to buy a new GPU , i'm gonna need to spend extra money for a new PSU as well, as my current one is only 300W

19 minutes ago, Dieter.koenig said:

Do you think it would be worth it buying the same GPU again or a new one? But things should be noted that I have to wait for months to get the ordered items as i'm not that lucky anymore when it comes to orders.. Last order took me 2 months to arrive and judging the time it would be still the same as I am quarantined yet and not sure how long the epidemy gonna last. I found the same GPU used on eBay for 36$ and if i'm going to buy a new GPU , i'm gonna need to spend extra money for a new PSU as well, as my current one is only 300W

well let me guess. you ordered used parts from Ebay, amazon and etc. from people who were not gigabyte, EVGA, msi etc. etc. right? those people are required to send it out but no time limit as to when they have to so best to avoid them. if you don't want to wait too long then order from one of the manufacturers like I listed above as they will usually send it out the next business day. 

take a look at these two links as they should help you pic a GPU that fits into what you are looking for.

sorry. I forgot to add that this first list only gives what the manufacturer of the card and what line it is like the Powercolor: Red Devil it doesn't mention that is a 5700XT card which is in the $500 range. so you will have to look up which one sounds good to you and then make sure it is the one you are looking at and want.

Edited by tdkid
new info

4 minutes ago, tdkid said:

well let me guess. you ordered used parts from Ebay, amazon and etc. from people who were not gigabyte, EVGA, msi etc. etc. right? those people are required to send it out but no time limit as to when they have to so best to avoid them. if you don't want to wait too long then order from one of the manufacturers like I listed above as they will usually send it out the next business day. 

take a look at these two links as they should help you pic a GPU that fits into what you are looking for.

Thanks again for providing those informations man. I really appreciate that. But I'm feeling so ripped off and wasting moneys on upgrading my current PC. I just can't even think about it as i'm planning to buy an high end PC with i9 and RTX 2080 if I get lucky on founds lol or at least the last cpu generations like i5-8400 or i5-9600K paired with a GTX 1050 TI/ GTX 1650 or GTX 1060 depending on my budget as I even have an 240Hz monitor waiting for an decent high end pc.. As for my actual PC not really sure what I'll be doing on the next quarantined days... gonna find any way to fix that mess. Anyways thanks again man, and have a great night/day since here in Europe is 05:45 AM and I should have been already sleeping lol

2 minutes ago, Dieter.koenig said:

Thanks again for providing those informations man. I really appreciate that. But I'm feeling so ripped off and wasting moneys on upgrading my current PC. I just can't even think about it as i'm planning to buy an high end PC with i9 and RTX 2080 if I get lucky on founds lol or at least the last cpu generations like i5-8400 or i5-9600K paired with a GTX 1050 TI/ GTX 1650 or GTX 1060 depending on my budget as I even have an 240Hz monitor waiting for an decent high end pc.. As for my actual PC not really sure what I'll be doing on the next quarantined days... gonna find any way to fix that mess. Anyways thanks again man, and have a great night/day since here in Europe is 05:45 AM and I should have been already sleeping lol

well don't feel ripped off. what did you buy that computer for in the first place? for gaming or what. it seems like it lasted for you for more than a year which is actually quiet good in my opinion with used parts. and going back thru the messages it sounds like the fan is still working so are you using any kind of adapter to the monitor or just a straight cable? I ask because I am not sure if I mentioned it or not but I am thinking not. two people on here have said they have had monitor issues with one being seeing their monitor showing half a blue screen and the other half some weird colors. the other person had pick lines or spots all over the monitor. the first issue was solve by replacing the cable as it went bad. the other one I am not sure of yet because I haven't gotten a message yet that they replied. but I am betting same thing. your might be just like that too. 

with what I said earlier, the pc lasted for over a year so they might be worth looking into again just for a very cheap replacement GPU until your lockdown gets lifted. but as I have said, I will not buy used parts but that is what I would do, I can not speak for you and what works best for you. I have slight knowledge on how to repair my computer as I have people in my family who work with computers but I can not call them up for every little thing as I am sure they don't want to talk about work when off the clock.

3 minutes ago, tdkid said:

well don't feel ripped off. what did you buy that computer for in the first place? for gaming or what. it seems like it lasted for you for more than a year which is actually quiet good in my opinion with used parts. and going back thru the messages it sounds like the fan is still working so are you using any kind of adapter to the monitor or just a straight cable? I ask because I am not sure if I mentioned it or not but I am thinking not. two people on here have said they have had monitor issues with one being seeing their monitor showing half a blue screen and the other half some weird colors. the other person had pick lines or spots all over the monitor. the first issue was solve by replacing the cable as it went bad. the other one I am not sure of yet because I haven't gotten a message yet that they replied. but I am betting same thing. your might be just like that too. 

with what I said earlier, the pc lasted for over a year so they might be worth looking into again just for a very cheap replacement GPU until your lockdown gets lifted. but as I have said, I will not buy used parts but that is what I would do, I can not speak for you and what works best for you. I have slight knowledge on how to repair my computer as I have people in my family who work with computers but I can not call them up for every little thing as I am sure they don't want to talk about work when off the clock.

When I first bought that PC Setup, at that moment I needed it for the college as I'm studying Computer Sience since my laptops GPU got broken (not that lucky with the GPU even there..) after overclocking the Laptops Display as I was fascinated of high refresh rates and tried to mess with it lol. Then I bought the monitor BenQ Zowie 2546 240 Hz monitor as I planned to get an high end pc setup then after three years of pause on pro gaming I started to feel it again and focused more into gaming but I then noticed I was slightly limited on my hardwares and started thinking about an high end pc build which would fit my needs on both aspects. But the circumstances changed and here I am where I am. The monitor is directly connected on the GPU through DisplayPort cable without any kind of adapters. I think the PC just disables the whole GPU after turning it on showing the beeps only and doesn't let it show any kind of signal on the monitor. As fir the replacing the GPU with something cheap, that's the only right thing to do as I don't want to spend more than it is worth it and in the same time I need that pc. Neither I do want to buy used parts but in the same time I don't want to pay more for something that doesn't please me and fit my needs, as I said it before this pc setup was just temporary use, didn-t really thought gonna use it in long term.

since you are in computer science, you will probably know more than be but if your motherboard has a monitor port on it, then you should be able to connect it that way on a very low settings and see if it will allow a system boot up so you can see what the issue code is, or start is safe mode. DDU the old drivers and reinstall them.

that is just my guess though.