RTX2080 died?

DonGuano

It boots but there are short pink lines all over the screen at boot. In windows screen is ok, but can't install driver. There is an errorcode 43 in devicemanager.

Has anyone heard about this errorcode 43 fix?

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/script-nvidia-error43-fixer/

Is it safe to try without loosing warranty?

-Don 

I don't beleive software voids warranty, but wait for someone else to confirm. It's usually hardware damage. If you can though, it might be better to send it back for warranty if u have it.

Current Gaming build:

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000mhz 15-17-17-35

Graphics Card: Geforce RTX 2080

Graphics Card Cooler: EVGA XC Ultra Gaming
Storage: 500GB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Blue
PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750W
Case: Corsair 460x Black
Case Cooling: A mix and match of fans ?
Peripherals:

Monitor: HP 27ea
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE
Mouse: Corsair Glaive Black
Headphones: Corsair HS60
Microphone: Blue Snowball Black Edition

"Gaming" Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Mid-2012 with Nvidia Geforce Now

Use DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller) from GURU3D and uninstall all drivers and or files AMD if if you have had an AMD GPU in the system before and/or Nvidia if you have had a Nvidia, it removes all drivers and files. Then use Geforce Experience to reinstall the graphics drivers, don't use device manager or Windows Update to get them, I prefer Geforce Experience over manually getting them from the Nvidia website too. If it it still has the issue after that then it's a bad card, and you will need to either return it if you're still in the return window or RMA it. However if you do have to RMA it, just remember that most RMA departments are closed due to the global pandemic, and we don't know when they will open back up.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Use DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller) from GURU3D and uninstall all drivers and or files AMD if if you have had an AMD GPU in the system before and/or Nvidia if you have had a Nvidia, it removes all drivers and files. Then use Geforce Experience to reinstall the graphics drivers, don't use device manager or Windows Update to get them, I prefer Geforce Experience over manually getting them from the Nvidia website too. If it it still has the issue after that then it's a bad card, and you will need to either return it if you're still in the return window or RMA it. However if you do have to RMA it, just remember that most RMA departments are closed due to the global pandemic, and we don't know when they will open back up.

Thanks for the replies.

I tried this method earlier and no luck...

-Don

39 minutes ago, DonGuano said:

there are short pink lines all over the screen at boot

gpu's aren't running any software in the bios so if it has artifacts on the post screen and bios then it's a hardware fault not software

error code 43 is temps too high. if you take the card apart I bet you will see the thermal paste dried out and cracking. clean it off, put some new paste on and you should be good to go.

or you can look at this. https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-nvidia-code-43-windows-has-stopped-this-device-because-it-has-reported-problems/

4 minutes ago, tdkid said:

error code 43 is temps too high. if you take the card apart I bet you will see the thermal paste dried out and cracking. clean it off, put some new paste on and you should be good to go.

Tempting. It has one year warranty left so I think I will go for RMA...

well that is fine. its up to you either way but 9/10 times now you will not void the warranty if you were to do this because companies have been coming out now with more and more water coolers which require you to take the card apart to attach the cooler. the EVGA water block for instance. if you are going to RMA it then, I hope you have another GPU ready as its going to be at least 3 weeks (unless overnight it) until you get it back.

Hmmm. Do you think it is a paste problem if the card is cold and I still get this as shown in the picture right after power on before boot? 

IMAGE01.jpg

Max temps I had according to HWinfo 72 degrees celsius

Actually not sure. I had case open then but later closed and didn't check the temp before this happened...

1 minute ago, DonGuano said:

Max temps I had according to HWinfo 72 degrees celsius.

is that stock settings or is that with a lot of OC?

what I mean is, is that at idle or are you hardcore gaming etc. etc..

Little overclock or stock. Same temps. cooler seems to target 71.

ok, then you probably don't have a temp issues as I was thinking it was. it could be a simple thing that your cable is about to go out or your monitor is. I say this because a person on here or another forum I am on had an issue with their monitor only showing half a blue screen and half something like what you are seeing. 

the best way to test this is if you have another cable or monitor, hook it up then if it still continues then you might have to watch some youtube videos on error code 43.

I asked if I'm allowed to change the paste and I got permission. Will not affect warranty here in Finland in my case. Knowing it most likely won't do any good, I'm reluctant to waste some Kryonaut. When I RMA card, i'll get refund. So no replasement, doh...

1 hour ago, DonGuano said:

I asked if I'm allowed to change the paste and I got permission. Will not affect warranty here in Finland in my case. Knowing it most likely won't do any good, I'm reluctant to waste some Kryonaut. When I RMA card, i'll get refund. So no replasement, doh...

Temp/thermal paste issues will not cause artifacting unless it's literally melting the chip. And error 43 isn't related to temps, it's a windows generated error that means the hardware component is having an unspecified error, in most cases when you get it, you probably have a dead card on your hands, however it could be caused by a simpler easy to fix issue like overheating. But it is not specifically for an overheating card.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

22 hours ago, tdkid said:

error code 43 is temps too high.

No, it's not. Error code 43 is a generic windows error message that means there is an unspecified error with the hardware component. It could be something as simple as overheating and needing to be repasted but in most cases it's a software or firmware issue with the card. In a majority of my repairs where I have found dead cards my first clue was error 43 and in most cases it was not fixable and all had to do with something entirely different being wrong.

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

No, it's not. Error code 43 is a generic windows error message that means there is an unspecified error with the hardware component. It could be something as simple as overheating and needing to be repasted but in most cases it's a software or firmware issue with the card. In a majority of my repairs where I have found dead cards my first clue was error 43 and in most cases it was not fixable and all had to do with something entirely different being wrong.

well go thru the rest of the messages because that is what we have been trying to figure out.

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

well go thru the rest of the messages because that is what we have been trying to figure out.

We had already figured out the majority of the problem and gone through trouble shooting with OP and determined the card to likely be dead or dying. OP already stated they will be RMAing it when you posted about the thermal issues. The card has the same issue in bios, after a DDU and Reinstall of fresh drivers, and with a different cable and or monitor. OP can test it in another computer but that's about it. In my opinion it should be RMA'd.

22 hours ago, DonGuano said:

Hmmm. Do you think it is a paste problem if the card is cold and I still get this as shown in the picture right after power on before boot? 

IMAGE01.jpg

Your card transcended into an other existence, it is one with the khala now... rejoice! 

source.gif

I'd RMA the hell out of that GPU.

But first try DDU-ing in safe mode and try installing newest driver (with windows updates paused).

Also, try it on another system just to make sure it isn't system related.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz