ITX Case Questions

Nightguest

Hey there folks,

I'm currently putting a new PC together and as space is a bit of an issue on my end, I'm going for an ITX build (the fact that I really like ITX as well is a big plus).

Originally, I was going to get everything in 1 go, however as my old Haswell system started to die, my hand was forced and I got part of the build now, and am getting the rest later.

What I have 'right now'

ROG Strix x570-I

Ryzen 7 3700X

Corsair Vengency LPX 3200CL16 16Gb

From my older build I'm using:

Corsair Hydro H100i Pro

RX 470 (This will be eventually upgraded as it is the weakest part of my system, but it's not something that I need right now as it still 'just about' serves my needs.)

Some sort of 550W PSU

#random ATX case that was being used in my previous build.

So, what I am going to be getting next is:

ITX Case

PSU (looking for a 600W or higher and fully modular as well)

This is where I'm a bit lost and in need of advice as my AIO size does restrict me in my options..

I'm currently looking at:

Streacom DA2 (using my current AIO - but would have to buy a new PSU).

NZXT H1 (I'd have to use the bundled 140mm AIO - but I won't have to buy a new PSU).

So, I have 2 questions.

Firstly, are there any Streacom DA2 users and/or NZXT H1 users that can let me know how the case is (airflow wise etc)? I have seen quite a few reviews and they both seem good and can't find much to split them apart.

Secondly, as I'm not OC'ing my 3700X, would the bundled 140mm AIO from the NZXT H1 be fine, or will I be loosing out in a bit 'too much' cooling?

Any info from the ITX crowed out there would be hugely appreciated.

You could opt for even smaller volume and sacrifice a little radiator real estate.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
CPU Cooler Corsair H80i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $114.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Case Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case $57.99 @ B&H
Power Supply Silverstone 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply $129.73 @ B&H
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $302.71
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-29 14:30 EDT-0400  

You would have to remove one fan unfortunately, but this case can support a full founders edition nvidia GPU. 

13 minutes ago, Nightguest said:

NZXT H1 (I'd have to use the bundled 140mm AIO - but I won't have to buy a new PSU).

not sure if "some sort of" PSU should carry over into a build with a Ryzen 7, do you know the specific model?

The streacom is so nice and compact, I'd recommend that over the H1.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

You would have to remove one fan unfortunately, but this case can support a full founders edition nvidia GPU. 

2 hours ago, Nightguest said:

not sure if "some sort of" PSU should carry over into a build with a Ryzen 7, do you know the specific model?

The streacom is so nice and compact, I'd recommend that over the H1.

That is an interesting idea (going even smaller) - gonna look into that so thank you!

Though, dropping to a 120mm AIO is a bit more alarming than the 140mm that comes with the NZXT H1.

Realistically speaking (and with no OC, but PBO enabled) how much of a difference do you think I'll notice between:

• 240mm AIO - this is is what I have now, but limits me to Streacom DA2
  • 140mm AIO - comes with the NZXT H1
  • 120mm AIO - your suggestion for the ultra small build
  • Using the AMD Wraith Prism cooler that came with my 3700X but is currently just sitting around gathering dust in a box.

When I got my AIO, I avoided the 120/140mm's as I was told that their performance (compared to a good air cooler) was a bit 'meh', but I didn't really plan for an ITX build back then. I really don't mind swapping parts around (worst case I'll sell the H100i Pro) but I want to make sure that I get the cooling balance right, especially in an ITX build.

- About the PSU, yeah I'm going to jump on a new one ASAP.

I can't remember precisely what it was, but it was a very entry level one (though reviews were 'ok' no one flagged any issues with it so I'm not really worried just yet). Though I will go for a SFX PSU when I grab one.

4 minutes ago, Nightguest said:

Realistically speaking (and with no OC, but PBO enabled) how much of a difference do you think I'll notice between:

• 240mm AIO - this is is what I have now, but limits me to Streacom DA2
  • 140mm AIO - comes with the NZXT H1
  • 120mm AIO - your suggestion for the ultra small build
  • Using the AMD Wraith Prism cooler that came with my 3700X but is currently just sitting around gathering dust in a box.

The 240MM is nice and large, but the 140mm AIO included in the H1 is a little thin, especially compared to the H80i V2. I did a build with Ryzen 9 3900X using that exact cooler and case, so if that's kept comfortable, I doubt you'd have issues.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad