Did I make the right decision? GPU Bought

StareX

Hey,

So I ordered the ASUS Strix 2080 Super Advanced OC (mouthful), debated whether to get this or the MSI Trio X one but went with the ASUS cuz I heard they got better VRMs and cooling but did I make the right decision going with it?

hopefully it's coming in in few days, so I'm just wondering around for now.

Replacing my 980 Ti.

I got a 2K 165Hz monitor GSYNC (the ASUS one) with an i9 9900k 5.0GHz.

Did not go with the 2080 Ti cuz well, it's hella more money to spend lol

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I don't know what quality of cooling Asus use these days, but my old two GPUs from Asus have problem with fans after some time (old 8800 and 560Ti), so I switched to MSI and from that time I have no problems.

Asus made good bioses. And sometimes motherboards if you want to spend more money. That's all. But I assume in top GPU they put something good.

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

I don't know what quality of cooling Asus use these days, but my old two GPUs from Asus have problem with fans after some time (old 8800 and 560Ti), so I switched to MSI and from that time I have no problems.

Hardware related stuff is no issues, the warranty covers that entirely so it's all good on that part..

Ask me anything.

there is no real difference between the rtx 20XX series cards. other than price as far as I can tell. yes memory clock etc. etc.  according to the list linked below, both GPUs are midrange with a great PCB and high end coolers so either way would be fine according to that list. but the biggest factors is can it fit in your case, do you have enough PSU to power it and most important, do you like it. these three questions are the ones you need to ask and have answers for before deciding on to get it or not.

me personally. I just got the EVGA RTX 2070 super FTW3 ultra+ as my new GPU and so far I love it.

Edited by tdkid
forgot to add something

The Strix has pretty good cooling, and the Gaming X Trio are about the same in cooling performance so either one would've been a good choice, which ever is cheaper.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

there is no real difference between the rtx 20XX series cards. other than price as far as I can tell. yes memory clock etc. etc.  according to the list linked below, both GPUs are midrange with a great PCB and high end coolers so either way would be fine according to that list. but the biggest factors is can it fit in your case, do you have enough PSU to power it and most important, do you like it. these three questions are the ones you need to ask and have answers for before deciding on to get it or not.

me personally. I just got the EVGA RTX 2070 super FTW3 ultra+ as my new GPU and so far I love it.

Yeah I got a 750w Titanium PSU, and the Fractal Design R6 so I got clearance..

And the RTX 2080 Super is a midrange GPU? :o  isn't it high end? haha

Ask me anything.

1 minute ago, StareX said:

Yeah I got a 750w Titanium PSU, and the Fractal Design R6 so I got clearance..

And the RTX 2080 Super is a midrange GPU? :o  isn't it high end? haha

I edited my comment to include the link to the list that I forgot to add. the list is complete personal opinion just like every other "what is the best X" list out there so it basically is going to come down to what design of GPU do you like.

The Asus is the best of all brands.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

while you are looking around. also loo to the deals the companies are giving with the cards. when I got mine I was offered a shield and trim kit with it.