Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Budget gamerXD

PC randomly freezing

Recommended Posts

While this is very vague, I will try to help anyway. I think your hard drive might be dying. 

 

Turn on your PC and open "activity monitor" (it's a part of Windows). Then open the disk tab. On the right, if should show some graphs. Can you send a screenshot of the hard disk queue when it is working fine and then another as close to when it crashes as possible.

 

This has helped me figure out crashes before in the past as a high disk queue next to crash shows the HDD was overwhelmed somehow.


Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Budget gamerXD said:

My PC randomly freezes while somebody is using it.

I have windows 10 on hdd 

Could it be the hdd or maybe graphics card

Open task manager and observe the usage of your components. Share your computer specifications so that we can locate the potential performance issues.

Mostly, the hard drive usage must be 100%, i.e, some processes must be accessing your hard drive all the time and because of that, other essential windows process could not access it, leading to a system freeze.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

While this is very vague, I will try to help anyway. I think your hard drive might be dying. 

 

Turn on your PC and open "activity monitor" (it's a part of Windows). Then open the disk tab. On the right, if should show some graphs. Can you send a screenshot of the hard disk queue when it is working fine and then another as close to when it crashes as possible.

 

This has helped me figure out crashes before in the past as a high disk queue next to crash shows the HDD was overwhelmed somehow.

If the hard drive was "dying" or "failing", the system would crash to a blue screen. Since that is not happening, I think it is more of a background process issue. What you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

If the hard drive was "dying" or "failing", the system would crash to a blue screen. Since that is not happening, I think it is more of a background process issue. What you think?

No, it wouldn't.

1 hour ago, Mad153 said:

I think your hard drive might be dying. 

I personally think both of you are wrong. If his drive was dying, his PC would be unusably slow, not freezing or crashing. It would take twenty minutes to open Chrome but he could at least move the mouse or use already opened programs while he's waiting.


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

 

 

 

 

i use arch btw

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
49 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No, it wouldn't.

I personally think both of you are wrong. If his drive was dying, his PC would be unusably slow, not freezing or crashing. It would take twenty minutes to open Chrome but he could at least move the mouse or use already opened programs while he's waiting.

My HDD makes like buzzing/scratching noice on 100% usage 

If this helps please help XD

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Budget gamerXD said:

My HDD makes like buzzing/scratching noice on 100% usage 

If this helps please help XD

We could help you if you would kindly tell us your specs and approximate age of your system ^.^

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No, it wouldn't.

I personally think both of you are wrong. If his drive was dying, his PC would be unusably slow, not freezing or crashing. It would take twenty minutes to open Chrome but he could at least move the mouse or use already opened programs while he's waiting.

I've myself experienced a failing hard drive. The common outcomes were freezes and system crashes. But since this guy's system does not crash, doesn't it seriously looks like a "always 100% disk usage" or  "always 100% CPU usage" scenario?

Pls give us some more info like screen shot of task manager??

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

I've myself experienced a failing hard drive. The common outcomes were freezes and system crashes. But since this guy's system does not crash, doesn't it seriously looks like a "always 100% disk usage" or  "always 100% CPU usage" scenario?

Pls give us some more info like screen shot of task manager??

100% on boot and first time loads

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

We could help you if you would kindly tell us your specs and approximate age of your system ^.^

My system is 10yr old but that is what you get as a 13yr old.

Specs are i5 660

hd 7730 2gb gddr5

I think HDD is wd blue

Mobo hp 304bh

6gb ram, 3 sticks, one stick died, it was 8gb

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 1:37 AM, Budget gamerXD said:

100% on boot and first time loads

That is expected as windows starts all necessary services.

 

On 3/30/2020 at 1:41 AM, Budget gamerXD said:

My system is 10yr old but that is what you get as a 13yr old.

Specs are i5 660

hd 7730 2gb gddr5

I think HDD is wd blue

Mobo hp 304bh

6gb ram, 3 sticks, one stick died, it was 8gb

Your spec are pretty decent and this should not be causing any freezes I suppose. But since your system is 10yr old, is it cleaned?

I mean if your PSU or CPU fans are clogged, you might suffer from such situations. It may also be your HDD since its 10 year old, but HDD last quite long (As per my experience). Have you cleaned your system thoroughly?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×