When gaming, my PC randomly crashes. Any suggestions?

Luke123
Hi,

I have had my PC now for just over half a year that I built myself. Whenever I play games (such as Rainbow Six Siege, GTA, and a few more), I sometimes find that my PC crashes. This usually happens every few days but its hard to know when it'll happen next as it is completely random. When the crash occurs, my monitors go blank, my fans go really fast and loud (not too sure which fan(s) it is though), my graphics card load light disappears and my keyboard and mouse RGB lighting disappears. It actually sounds as if the PC will explode when this occurs as the fans can get ridiculously loud (loudness changes between crashes for some reason too). Occasionally, a blue screen will appear when the crash occurs and gives the Stop code : THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER. The screen also says it will restart for me but it never does, so I am always forced to forced shutdown the PC and restart. Here is a list of my components:

-AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
-AMD Rx Vega 56 (MSI Airboost)
-16gb corsair vengeance ddr4 3000
-Gigabyte b450m
-Corsair vs650 80+ psu

As i am still fairly new to PCs, I am not the best at troubleshooting so any help would be really appreciated. So far, I have checked my GPU temperatures and when gaming, it reaches around 74 degrees celcius max which isn't very high as far as i am aware. I have updated the GPU drivers but that hasn't done anything. At the moment, I am suspecting the problem to be the PSU, but again, I am not very experienced with this stuff.

Thanks for any help,

Luke

The first place I would start would be a DDU (in safe mode, following recommendation) of your display drivers and a fresh install. It's possible for driver corruption to cause something like this.

next time you get the blue screen error message, hop in windows event viewer 9Start-> "event viewer", it should pop up, find the System tab, and see if you're able to locate the error file.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

RMA the psu and get atleast corsair cx550w. The psu you have is not ment to power that power hungry vega 56

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

4 hours ago, Semper said:

The first place I would start would be a DDU (in safe mode, following recommendation) of your display drivers and a fresh install. It's possible for driver corruption to cause something like this.

next time you get the blue screen error message, hop in windows event viewer 9Start-> "event viewer", it should pop up, find the System tab, and see if you're able to locate the error file.

Hi Semper, 

Thanks for your reply. Since writing this question this morning, my PC has frozen twice! I had a look in the event viewer once the PC had restarted after the freeze, and couldn't really find anything... uploaded an image below. 

If I go on to do the DDU, will my whole PC be wiped or will it only affect my graphics card drivers?

I had the stop code

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

when the blue screen appeared....could this tell us what the issue is? 

Thanks for your help, 

Luke

IMG_20200329_145925.jpg

4 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

RMA the psu and get atleast corsair cx550w. The psu you have is not ment to power that power hungry vega 56

Hi SavageNeo, 

Thanks for the info. How would I RMA the psu if there isn't actually an issue with it? (as it's just a compatibility issue with my graphics card). Is it likely they would just send me an replacement of the same psu? 

Thanks, 

Luke

On 3/29/2020 at 10:53 AM, Semper said:

Hi Semper,

Just wanted to check if you saw my last msg?

7 hours ago, Luke123 said:

Hi Semper,

Just wanted to check if you saw my last msg?

Heya, Apologies, I'm working a lot of overtime right now, I haven't been home much at all these past two weeks.

DDU will only touch your GPU drivers.

I did gloss over what @SavageNeo caught though. The VS series, while not necessarily a bad psu, isn't really up to the task of feeding a Vega 56. I don't know that an RMA will do anything for you, however, as all that's likely to happen is Corsair will send out another VS650, and you're likely outside the window for returns from your retailer.

Finding something higher up on this list that fits your budget and either selling off your current PSU, or just keeping it tucked away for a less hungry build, is going to be your best bet.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB