Running Your Radiator Outside For Subzero Temps

I live in North Dakota where subzero temperatures are a regular thing in the winter. Am i the only one who routed their radiator outside my window for -10F ambient temps? It works incredibly well.

Thought this would be a fun discussion. Thanks guys.

The idea is not old.

Linus did a whole room cooling this way.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 minutes ago, NachoGenocide said:

I live in North Dakota where subzero temperatures are a regular thing in the winter. Am i the only one who routed their radiator outside my window for -10F ambient temps? It works incredibly well.

Whole Room watercooling!

It works but you risk condensation if the fluid gets too cold or the actually frosting up due to the fins/rad building up frost if it's let to heat cycle. The reason why the whole room watercooling setup at Linus's didn't have issues was due to a constant heat load and temps not going below around -20C on the coldest of days.

This idea started when my q9650 started to become a major bottleneck. When I was ordering A new CPU and motherboard i decided to try and push it to stupid limits because why not. I used a specialty automotive anti-freeze, and silica gel paired with tons of dehumidified airflow. I believe I achieved 5.2ghz. Fun times

7 hours ago, NachoGenocide said:

Just for clarity, ambient temp isbroom temp so its probably not -10.

12 hours ago, NachoGenocide said:

Old idea, it obviously works, but it also obviously causes condensation issues, which in turn requires the system to be adequately protected. Subzero temps also require a coolant capable of staying liquid at those temps.

So yes it works but realistically it requires a bit more preparation that just hanging a rad out the window during cold weather :P

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Hi NachoGenocide,

(chuckle) I recently had a problem with my temps getting to cold. My apartment building has the heat way too high, so I have to leave the door next to my computer open to cool the place down. Last week I woke up and kinda freak out about the temps on my system. -5c on a water cooled system? 

Since your from a region that has similar shitty weather to mine, then the thing that you have to worry about is freezing your cooling liquid. This can cause your radiator to crack, (just like a car), or burning out your pump as it tries to push the pre-freeze slush through the system.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:43 PM, SansVarnic said:

The idea is not old.

Linus did a whole room cooling this way.

Linus lives in Vancouver, where if the temperature drops to 15c/60f people break out their winter parkas! 

water_chilled!.png

Too much effort for zero gains. I could just turn down the heat. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

My problem is that I can't turn down the heat. I actually have it turned completely off and it's still to warm for me. BTW, I'm originally from the LA California region, so I'm not a huge fan of the cold!

I don’t like the cold either as I can’t play like that. But the pcs produce too much heat. Nothing opening a window won’t fix. 
I’d need some very long runs and strong pumps to do that with a lot radiators or large ones. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 3/28/2020 at 7:55 PM, W-L said:

Whole Room watercooling!

It works but you risk condensation if the fluid gets too cold or the actually frosting up due to the fins/rad building up frost if it's let to heat cycle. The reason why the whole room watercooling setup at Linus's didn't have issues was due to a constant heat load and temps not going below around -20C on the coldest of days.

Also... the reason whole room watercooling was doomed to not be great was because they didn't insulate the lines. Instead they had like 20 meters worth of copper line directly throwing heat back into the room heh.

Doing it right, things have so much more potential than LTT showed haha.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS