Help me ditch my iMac.

IA64
19 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The CPUs in the MAC Pro all run in low clock speeds so they have significantly lower performance than ThreadRipper and Ryzen CPUs.

Can you list your source please? According to this video, the test was run @ 3.3 Ghz. 

Other videos are showing a maxed out , 28 cores dual GPU system completely silent under intensive tasks. I don't think it's really underclocked CPU.

30 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The layout of the connector is propitiatory like everything Apple do.

This is quite funny. So they are selling a rackmout Mac pro. Cool but how is anyone supposed to connect the display to this unit if there's no cable capable of carrying the signal? 

I mean unless you want your monitor on top of the rack, this doesn't make sense at all. 

38 minutes ago, IA64 said:

Can you list your source please? According to this video, the test was run @ 3.3 Ghz. 

Other videos are showing a maxed out , 28 cores dual GPU system completely silent under intensive tasks. I don't think it's really underclocked CPU.

The 3970X runs at 3.7GHz base clock speed with up to 4.5 GHz boost clock...

The 3900X runs at 3.8GHz base clock speed with up to 4.6GHz boost clock...

Apple's 28 core Mac Pro 2.5GHz base clock with up to 4.4GHz boost clock.

The source is AMD's and Intel's web sites:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-3900x

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3970x

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/193752/intel-xeon-w-3275-processor-38-5m-cache-2-50-ghz.html

Base clock is a guaranteed all core clock speed while boost clock is a potential clock speed for a single core.

Edit:

A clarification about my description of boost clock:

The definition for boost clock i wrote is for the "Max Turbo/boost Frequency/Clock" CPU manufacturers list in specifications.

You will get an all core boost clock but it will be slightly higher than base clock and nowhere near the max boost clock (Unless you use extreme cooling such as LN2,DICE,etc).

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

9 minutes ago, IA64 said:

This is quite funny. So they are selling a rackmout Mac pro. Cool but how is anyone supposed to connect the display to this unit if there's no cable capable of carrying the signal? 

I mean unless you want your monitor on top of the rack, this doesn't make sense at all. 

There are two standard HDMI connectors on the machine,Only the Thunderbolt connectors for the display are propitiatory.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

There are two standard HDMI connectors on the machine,Only the Thunderbolt connectors for the display are propitiatory.

Ok but that means you are free to use any non Apple display unless you want the XDR, then you have to put it in the testbed? 

8 minutes ago, IA64 said:

Ok but that means you are free to use any non Apple display unless you want the XDR, then you have to put it in the testbed? 

The XDR has propitiatory thunderbolt connector that the MAC Pro also has,the only machine you can connect the XDR display to is the MAC Pro.

A clarification about my description of boost clock:

The definition for boost clock i wrote is for the "Max Turbo/boost Frequency/Clock" CPU manufacturers list in specifications.

You will get an all core boost clock but it will be slightly higher than base clock and nowhere near the max boost clock (Unless you use extreme cooling such as LN2,DICE,etc).

There is a huge difference in cooling methodology between an iMac and a Mac Pro. The iMac runs a consumer CPU that is soldered to the board, and  the higher grade cpu's often has the boost clock artificially limited to prevent throttling due to insufficient cooling.

The Mac Pro runs a user upgradeable server grade cpu. The Mac pro has a pretty ingenious cooling system that runs 3 giant 20cm fans that are acoustically optimized and ducted though a proprietary stacked fin heatsink. The Mac pro's cpu is in no way limited, running at the standard Xeon specs as indicated by the CPU. And while it has great acoustic properties, a high spec CPU running under sustained load will produce an audible fan noise.

The longest standard thunderbolt 3 cables are currently 6.6ft (2m).

A long length optical version has been "in the works" by  Corning for over 2 years now, and is ”coming soon"

Areca has 10m, 20m and 30m optical TB3 cables, you can find them at B&H at suitably ridiculous prices.

3 minutes ago, ErA.l said:

The longest standard thunderbolt 3 cables are currently 6.6ft (2m).

A long length optical version has been "in the works" by  Corning for over 2 years now, and is ”coming soon"

Areca has 10m, 20m and 30m optical TB3 cables, you can find them at B&H at suitably ridiculous prices.

Thanks. So this cable is able to carry 10bit HDR display @ 6K  60hz? 

http://tekram.com/thunderbolt-3-industrial-optical-cable-30-meter/