Having problems booting my laptop

sudaris

Hello guys, i have HP Omen laptop, i5 7th gen, it has two fans inside. Started to get B90 error, so i decided to clean the laptop to se if it helps, it did not help still got b90 even though i tried swapping the fans, to see if the fan is broken. It did not help either. Read online that maybe a hard reset or updating Bios would help, but it made it worse. Now my laptop turns on, i can hear the fan working but it doesn't boot up, even from an usb. Black screen and that's it. Is the cpu dead or i dont know something. Could anybody help me out. Thanks for any kind of support or help

try connecting to an external display maybe? to check if theres any issues with the gpu and if theres an issue with the laptops display.

1 hour ago, Alienware 15 R2 said:

try connecting to an external display maybe? to check if theres any issues with the gpu and if theres an issue with the laptops display.

Tried it, still nothing, you think the gpu is dead?

The GPU might be Dead inside.

Because if everything else turns on then no display It should be the GPU.

4 hours ago, sudaris said:

Hello guys, i have HP Omen laptop, i5 7th gen, it has two fans inside. Started to get B90 error, so i decided to clean the laptop to se if it helps, it did not help still got b90 even though i tried swapping the fans, to see if the fan is broken. It did not help either. Read online that maybe a hard reset or updating Bios would help, but it made it worse. Now my laptop turns on, i can hear the fan working but it doesn't boot up, even from an usb. Black screen and that's it. Is the cpu dead or i dont know something. Could anybody help me out. Thanks for any kind of support or help

With HP and Dell systems, you have to clear the error from the error log before it will let you continue.

If you updated the firmware you might have restarted it before it completed. It's V E R Y important that firmware updates not be interrupted, which is why it warns you to plug it into the wall, and have a fully charged battery first.

Now you might still be able to recover it, but you're kinda on your own here. Obviously there's a way to flash the firmware to recover from things like this.

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c02693833

16 hours ago, Kisai said:

With HP and Dell systems, you have to clear the error from the error log before it will let you continue.

If you updated the firmware you might have restarted it before it completed. It's V E R Y important that firmware updates not be interrupted, which is why it warns you to plug it into the wall, and have a fully charged battery first.

Now you might still be able to recover it, but you're kinda on your own here. Obviously there's a way to flash the firmware to recover from things like this.

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c02693833

Thank you, very helpful. So i rebooted the bios, reinstalled windows. Finally it booted up, but the fan error is still ongoing. No clue what could be wrong. cleaned it, swapped to check the fans, but still one side is not working. One of the connections from the board doesn't work? or the board doesn't work?

2 minutes ago, sudaris said:

Thank you, very helpful. So i rebooted the bios, reinstalled windows. Finally it booted up, but the fan error is still ongoing. No clue what could be wrong. cleaned it, swapped to check the fans, but still one side is not working. One of the connections from the board doesn't work? or the board doesn't work?

Install the diagnostics from HP and let it run, if it gets a clear, it will clear the error message in theory. 

In practice, at least on Dell systems, you have to clear the log in the bios, as the Dell diagnostics are in the BIOS, which can test everything but the GPU actually working (Literately, been given an "all clear" on a system where the GPU wasn't working at all.) On HP systems, the diagnostics are on a partition on the hard drive, so you have to actually install that first otherwise you only get like a memory test option when you run the bios diagnostics. 

In general, this is usually a by-design feature to prevent people from booting the OS when the system will overheat, but in practice, the system will throttle down and operate in a very degraded mode on laptops since they are designed to have a full-silent mode other than "desktop replacement" laptops like gaming/workstation laptops, which have to run their fans minimally.  

If you replaced the fans and the diagnostic still reports the fans not working after, then either the connector has been damaged, or the fan does not work at all. It's incredibly rare for a laptop PCB to go bad unless the laptop has been physically abused. Most of the failures I can recount on laptops tend to be directly a result of the user's impatience or carelessness, or the system image having settings tuned incorrectly (eg full power mode on a laptop, which destroys batteries.)

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

Install the diagnostics from HP and let it run, if it gets a clear, it will clear the error message in theory. 

In practice, at least on Dell systems, you have to clear the log in the bios, as the Dell diagnostics are in the BIOS, which can test everything but the GPU actually working (Literately, been given an "all clear" on a system where the GPU wasn't working at all.) On HP systems, the diagnostics are on a partition on the hard drive, so you have to actually install that first otherwise you only get like a memory test option when you run the bios diagnostics. 

In general, this is usually a by-design feature to prevent people from booting the OS when the system will overheat, but in practice, the system will throttle down and operate in a very degraded mode on laptops since they are designed to have a full-silent mode other than "desktop replacement" laptops like gaming/workstation laptops, which have to run their fans minimally.  

If you replaced the fans and the diagnostic still reports the fans not working after, then either the connector has been damaged, or the fan does not work at all. It's incredibly rare for a laptop PCB to go bad unless the laptop has been physically abused. Most of the failures I can recount on laptops tend to be directly a result of the user's impatience or carelessness, or the system image having settings tuned incorrectly (eg full power mode on a laptop, which destroys batteries.)

Sorry my english is not my mother tongue, do understand that maybe one fan shuts down when there is no need for it? When i run a benchmark, both fans turn on. 

Smart Fan management then to conserve power?

Maybe only one turns on when basic tasks are being done but two turn on when there is a demanding task?

10 hours ago, sudaris said:

Sorry my english is not my mother tongue, do understand that maybe one fan shuts down when there is no need for it? When i run a benchmark, both fans turn on. 

Yeah, unless it's a 17" laptop, most 15" and smaller laptops will operate in a "silent" mode until needed.