Failed GPU Upgrade

canucks27

Hi All,

I recently received an Asus 1070 from a buddy who had recently upgraded his card. I have a 770, so It was very generous of him and a nice upgrade! I didn't build the PC myself, a friend did, but I figured that this is a pretty straightforward upgrade.... So I went to do the upgrade, took the 770 out and put the 1070 in. I then went to boot the PC, and it seemed to go into a "Boot Loop", the fans spin on the coolers and GPU, the leds turn on but then the PC just shuts off and continues to repeat this (see video below).

I then tried to reinstall it again, revert back to the 770 and even tried to boot with no GPU (using the cpu on board graphics) but I was met with this same issue no matter what. My PC was working fine before this, so it almost certainly something to do with my installation.... From what my research tells me it could be a MOBO issue? Please help if you can! I'd like to fix this on my own as I'd love to be gaming during this lockdown without having to go to a repair shop....

Rough Specs here:

MOBO: msi arctic tomahawk b350

CPU: i5 7600k (didnt overclock)

PSU: CX650M — 650 Watt 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Modular ATX PSU

RAM: 16 GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport LT

GPU: PNY 770 / Asus 1070

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus

HDD: WD Blue 1TB

it seems that Motherboard have some led´s that could indicate the problem , is written ez-debug where the led´s are located usually . you can try to install the other GPU again and see if anything changes , if it boots up with the older GPU , then is power related , probably the PSU is not supplying enough power to system or is defective .

Edited by Rui Neves

11 minutes ago, canucks27 said:

Hi All,

I recently received an Asus 1070 from a buddy who had recently upgraded his card. I have a 770, so It was very generous of him and a nice upgrade! I didn't build the PC myself, a friend did, but I figured that this is a pretty straightforward upgrade.... So I went to do the upgrade, took the 770 out and put the 1070 in. I then went to boot the PC, and it seemed to go into a "Boot Loop", the fans spin on the coolers and GPU, the leds turn on but then the PC just shuts off and continues to repeat this (see video below).

I then tried to reinstall it again, revert back to the 770 and even tried to boot with no GPU (using the cpu on board graphics) but I was met with this same issue no matter what. My PC was working fine before this, so it almost certainly something to do with my installation.... From what my research tells me it could be a MOBO issue? Please help if you can! I'd like to fix this on my own as I'd love to be gaming during this lockdown without having to go to a repair shop....

Rough Specs here:

MOBO: msi arctic tomahawk b350

CPU: i5 7600k (didnt overclock)

PSU: CX650M — 650 Watt 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Modular ATX PSU

RAM: 16 GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport LT

GPU: PNY 770 / Asus 1070

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus

HDD: WD Blue 1TB

reseat your motherboard wires.

8 minutes ago, Rui Neves said:

it seems that Motherboard have some led´s that could indicate the problem , is written ez-debug where the led´s are located usually 

Ok so I have looked at the manual for the EZ-debug. I found them, and the attached video is what i see. It flashed CPU then DRAM, then it turns off.

4 minutes ago, canucks27 said:

Ok so I have looked at the manual for the EZ-debug. I found them, and the attached video is what i see. It flashed CPU then DRAM, then it turns off.

make sure all power cables are correctly connected to your motherboard and GPU 

The power supply has enough watts to run this system, but what bothers me is that it's a bronze rated 80+. I would suspect the PSU, but what might help is checking each power connection even the PCIE connection on the graphics card, or performing a bios reset to clear previous settings.

Thank you all 3, I will check all connections right now. If that fails, perhaps i will try to reset the bios.

2 minutes ago, GUVII said:

The power supply has enough watts to run this system, but what bothers me is that it's a bronze rated 80+. I would suspect the PSU, but what might help is checking each power connection even the PCIE connection on the graphics card, or performing a bios reset to clear previous settings.

well if the power supply fails no matter how many watts it have right 

5 minutes ago, Rui Neves said:

well if the power supply fails no matter how many watts it have right 

I Have a MSI mobo myself and it does the steps of CPU, memory, GPU tests, looks like right when it is about to perform a GPU test it cuts off and this might be a safety feature with the power supply to prevent under voltage. Sense a 770 GPU was the previous card, the TDP of the previous GPU would demand less from the power supply.

That is why I've suspected the powersupply

But I also recommended to check other connections and perform bios reset before resorting towards the PSU as a conclusion.

5 minutes ago, GUVII said:

I Have a MSI mobo myself and it does the steps of CPU, memory, GPU tests, looks like right when it is about to perform a GPU test it cuts off and this might be a safety feature with the power supply to prevent under voltage. Sense a 770 GPU was the previous card, the TDP of the previous GPU would demand less from the power supply.

That is why I've suspected the powersupply

But I also recommended to check other connections and perform bios reset before resorting towards the PSU as a conclusion.

yes the steps of the boot seems to stop on GPU , so to me or it is a bad connection or could be a faulty PSU, if the is faulty it could give enough power to the older GPU and not give to this one even having enough wattage in theory to power up even being bronze rated PSU  . To clear all doubts after checking connections he should check the another GPU again anyway .

Just now, Rui Neves said:

yes the steps of the boot seems to stop on GPU , so to me or it is a bad connection or could be a faulty PSU, if the is faulty it could give enough power to the older GPU and not give to this one even having enough wattage in theory to power up even bronze rated.  

But according to what I look up the 1070 actually has a lower TDP than the 770. But my confusion is how can it work before doing this? I go then try to use the 770 again, and it doesnt work. Did i kill the PSU somehow?

1 minute ago, canucks27 said:

But according to what I look up the 1070 actually has a lower TDP than the 770. But my confusion is how can it work before doing this? I go then try to use the 770 again, and it doesnt work. Did i kill the PSU somehow?

19 minutes ago, Rui Neves said:

yes you´re right , just assumed the oposite , anyway could be the GPU fault as it is the only thing that you´ve changed . anyway just check all the cables first then try to change the GPU again to see if it boots up . 

5 minutes ago, Rui Neves said:

yes you´re right , just assumed the oposite , anyway could be the GPU fault as it is the only thing that you´ve changed . anyway just check all the cables first then try to change the GPU again to see if it boots up . 

I am in the process of resetting the Bios. Ive checked connections, so we shall see if this does the trick. Appreciate the continued help. Ill keep you posted!!

1 hour ago, Rui Neves said:

Okay! So I took the CMOS battery out, let it sit. It now doest not auto shut off, but it the ez debug is going back and forth between cpu and dram.

2 minutes ago, canucks27 said:

Okay! So I took the CMOS battery out, let it sit. It now doest not auto shut off, but it the ez debug is going back and forth between cpu and dram.

the light on ez debug doesn´t stay on either of cpu or DRAM ? 

the light on ez debug doesn´t stay on either of cpu or DRAM ? 

No it is flashing back and forth. I attached a video.

No it is flashing back and forth. I attached a video.

btw you listed the CPU correctly for sure ? because the MB have an AMD socket 

2 minutes ago, Rui Neves said:

btw you listed the CPU correctly for sure ? because the MB have an AMD socket 

sorry it is the H270. I got the numbers mixed up. I kinda just guessed based on google.

sorry it is the H270. I got the numbers mixed up. I kinda just guessed based on google.

I would try to reseat the CPU  if you Know how to do that ...

1 minute ago, Rui Neves said:

I would try to reseat the CPU  if you Know how to do that ...

Huzzah! I took out a stick of ram, and we have posted! Im now on a bois screen i believe... Stay tuned.

2 minutes ago, canucks27 said:

Huzzah! I took out a stick of ram, and we have posted! Im now on a bois screen i believe... Stay tuned.

Nice , well was one thing or another , the EZ-debug nowadays already says you pretty much what it could be the issue :) 

2 minutes ago, Rui Neves said:

Nice , well was one thing or another , the EZ-debug nowadays already says you pretty much what it could be the issue :) 

Dont wanna Jynx, but we are on the desktop! 1070 is recognized! I'm a happy guy! The grind was definitely worth the outcome... Appreciate the help from both of you! Cheers from Toronto, Canada. Stay safe and healthy.

4 minutes ago, canucks27 said:

your bios is updated btw ? if you reseat the RAm again and not boot again then it could be an outdated bios or a faulty RAM . or if you reseat it again and it boots again just was some loose connection there probably 

your bios is updated btw ? if you reseat the RAm again and not boot again then it could be an outdated bios or a faulty RAM . or if you reseat it again and it boots again just was some loose connection there probably 

Interesting, well I dont know if the Bios is updated. But im going without the second stick of ram for now.... Just wanna game haha. I'll fiddle with that later.