Laptops and mSata support

I have a whole bunch of laptops ranging from 2006 to 2014, and I have no idea how many of them support msata, and none of their online documentation mentions anything on it. 

If I just get an msata drive, how much damage could I cause if I were to just put it in all of the laptops to see if any of them read it as a proper drive?

considering I'm legendarily broke i don't have any plans on buying an mSata drive any time soon.

But for anyone that does have experience, here's a (abridged) list of laptops I have that all have multiple ambiguous "mini pcie" ports

Toshiba Tecra A9 (2007, Intel model, T7250)

Dell Precision M6300 (2008, Quadro FX 3600m, T7700)

Lenovo B575 (2011, AMD E450, genuinely too slow to use anyway)

Toshiba Satellite S50D-a (2013, AMD A10 quad core with a dual crossfire GPU setup)

Dell Latitude E6430 (2012, i5-3360m, Intel HD)

All of these have third party disc drive caddies for another hard drive anyway, but it hink it'd be neat to have 3 hard drives in a laptop

3 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

I have a whole bunch of laptops ranging from 2006 to 2014, and I have no idea how many of them support msata, and none of their online documentation mentions anything on it. 

If I just get an msata drive, how much damage could I cause if I were to just put it in all of the laptops to see if any of them read it as a proper drive?

considering I'm legendarily broke i don't have any plans on buying an mSata drive any time soon.

But for anyone that does have experience, here's a (abridged) list of laptops I have that all have multiple ambiguous "mini pcie" ports

Toshiba Tecra A9 (2007, Intel model, T7250)

Dell Precision M6300 (2008, Quadro FX 3600m, T7700)

Lenovo B575 (2011, AMD E450, genuinely too slow to use anyway)

Toshiba Satellite S50D-a (2013, AMD A10 quad core with a dual crossfire GPU setup)

Dell Latitude E6430 (2012, i5-3360m, Intel HD)

All of these have third party disc drive caddies for another hard drive anyway, but it hink it'd be neat to have 3 hard drives in a laptop

Toshiba Tecra A9 (2007, Intel model, T7250) -> Nope

Dell Precision M6300 (2008, Quadro FX 3600m, T7700) -> Nope

Lenovo B575 (2011, AMD E450, genuinely too slow to use anyway) -> Nope

Toshiba Satellite S50D-a (2013, AMD A10 quad core with a dual crossfire GPU setup) -> Nope

Dell Latitude E6430 (2012, i5-3360m, Intel HD) -> Nope

None have an m.2 sata slot.

Also 3 drives in a laptop is kinda overkill unless you somehow run out of storage.

Just now, jaslion said:

Toshiba Tecra A9 (2007, Intel model, T7250) -> Nope

Dell Precision M6300 (2008, Quadro FX 3600m, T7700) -> Nope

Lenovo B575 (2011, AMD E450, genuinely too slow to use anyway) -> Nope

Toshiba Satellite S50D-a (2013, AMD A10 quad core with a dual crossfire GPU setup) -> Nope

Dell Latitude E6430 (2012, i5-3360m, Intel HD) -> Nope

None have an m.2 sata slot.

Also 3 drives in a laptop is kinda overkill unless you somehow run out of storage.

m.2 =/= msata, i know these are all too old for m.2, msata predates m.2

1 minute ago, DraconicFire98 said:

m.2 =/= msata, i know these are all too old for m.2, msata predates m.2

My bad I meant msata. I'm just so used to saying m.2 😛

6 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

That old laptops actually typically have a mini-PCI - slot. Notice it's a PCI -, not a PCI-E - slot. While a mPCI - slot is pretty much identical in looks with an mSATA - slot, they are not electrically compatible.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That old laptops actually typically have a mini-PCI - slot. Notice it's a PCI -, not a PCI-E - slot. While a mPCI - slot is pretty much identical in looks with an mSATA - slot, they are not electrically compatible.

these definitely aren't mpci, since i have a single mpci card from a laptop from 2003 and it's roughly 3x the width of the wifi cards all of these laptops have, which are mpcie

My 2013 laptop had an msata port, zero documentation but one day I decided to try it out, yep worked perfectly, only problem was that samsung msata was running super hot but it does that when I plug into desktop too so not the laptops fault

Just now, Niber said:

My 2013 laptop had an msata port, zero documentation but one day I decided to try it out, yep worked perfectly, only problem was that samsung msata was running super hot but it does that when I plug into desktop too so not the laptops fault

i have a toshiba satellite p850 that i suspect has an msata port, but since it's my daily driver laptop aside from my desktop i'm leaving it out of this kind of experimentation for now