RTX will become a meme

ConnieAmore

RTX: Meme or No  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will RTX become a forgotten meme like PhysX or will it get bigger and become widely used?

• RTX will be a meme
    • Will get bigger and better

I've come to the conclusion that RTX will become a meme(not that it already is one). Essentially, Nvidia wont make RTX open source. Because of this, it will not be implemented widely by the gaming industry. The lack of implementation will make RTX just a meme, a sticker slapped on GPUs in order to just sell cards.  

What do you guys think? Will it become a meme or will it actually become mainstream?

Isn't it already a meme?

Linus + RTX equals .... - Off Topic - Linus Tech Tips

/s

But in a more greater sense, I don't think RTX is something most people will remember in a good way.

The RTX cards are pretty good cards otherwise though :s Like in normal gaming and compute they do really well! But I don't think I can be classified as unbiased as I have an RTX card..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

At the risk of sounding ... patronizing. That what advertising does, its a hit or miss industry. 

PhysX was very promising when it came out but it found to be better used by adding it to existing cards then to make it a separate card. PhysX still exists it is just implemented in the current generations of cards.

RTX is just a naming scheme just like GeForce, GT, GTX, RTX so on and so forth.

Raytracing will become a part of the gaming/graphics industry just like what PhysX did and will continue on with out a second thought as it becomes more integrated.

Progress.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

RTX is weird because the marketing makes it seem like it's the only way you can get ray tracing, even though that's just a graphics technique. Anybody who's used Cycles in Blender has used ray tracing.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

Ray Tracing is basically mainstream now because both next gen consoles and next gen AMD GPUs will have it. It will just become another feature set like other technologies.

It was a meme when it came out. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz