What to upgrade first

JustChroma

Hello, so I built a PC a while back when I didn't really know what I was doing. Now I have a computer that needs upgrading and thought I'd ask for some help.

I have a i3 7100 and a GeForce GT 1030 - 2gb vram.

I am trying the new Warzone in Call of Duty and I have severe FPS issues, on low settings and nothing else on.

What would you upgrade first, and what would you recommend? 

Also I have 8gb ram, which I have just ordered 16, but started reading that ram doesn't affect your FPS much. 

Any help appreciated, thanks.

29 minutes ago, JustChroma said:

Hello, so I built a PC a while back when I didn't really know what I was doing. Now I have a computer that needs upgrading and thought I'd ask for some help.

I have a i3 7100 and a GeForce GT 1030 - 2gb vram.

I am trying the new Warzone in Call of Duty and I have severe FPS issues, on low settings and nothing else on.

What would you upgrade first, and what would you recommend? 

Also I have 8gb ram, which I have just ordered 16, but started reading that ram doesn't affect your FPS much. 

Any help appreciated, thanks.

If i were you i would sell your current pc and build a budget rig as on that platform your looking at more money than what its worth.

I'd definitely upgrade your GPU first, as that's what games use more. It's important to have lots of RAM so that your system can do it's job while running your game. As for your CPU, it's more current current-gen, so it should hold up. I have an i5-4460, and UserBenchmark says they're about the same performance, and my rig runs 1080p at Ultra Quality in almost all games. I'd recommend a GTX 1060 6GB, but AMD's offerings aren't a bad idea either. You can go to a computer supply store in your area and get some trade-value on your 1030 towards a 1060, my GT 720 got me $50.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

2 hours ago, ImAlsoRan said:

I'd definitely upgrade your GPU first, as that's what games use more. It's important to have lots of RAM so that your system can do it's job while running your game. As for your CPU, it's more current current-gen, so it should hold up. I have an i5-4460, and UserBenchmark says they're about the same performance, and my rig runs 1080p at Ultra Quality in almost all games. I'd recommend a GTX 1060 6GB, but AMD's offerings aren't a bad idea either. You can go to a computer supply store in your area and get some trade-value on your 1030 towards a 1060, my GT 720 got me $50.

Okay thank you, I will have a look at the 1060, that and some RAM should hold up for now.

2 hours ago, vampirenight721 said:

If i were you i would sell your current pc and build a budget rig as on that platform your looking at more money than what its worth.

Might be a silly question but why would I sell it? Wouldn't it be better to just buy upgrades as things get older? 

2 hours ago, JustChroma said:

Might be a silly question but why would I sell it? Wouldn't it be better to just buy upgrades as things get older? 

I think what they were saying is that your stuck in what I call a platform-lock. You can’t make any CPU upgrades because you’ve gotten the best that’ll work with your generation and socket, and you have to use DDR3 RAM. Basically, to upgrade the CPU, you’d have to buy a new motherboard and RAM, and maybe even a new PSU if the TDP is higher.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

3 hours ago, JustChroma said:

The only upgrades you can go for is the i5 or i7 but for the price of the cpu you could get a ryzen cpu and motherboard. Then you have other limitations like power draw and stuff like that. By the time you get everything upgraded you will only have a shell of your original pc. If i were in your shoes id sell it and find a cheap used ryzen system someone needs to get rid of and use that as a base to get started. My rig originally started out with a b450 and a 2700x but i eventually updated the bios and i am now running a 3900x. Regardless if you try to upgrade to a modern cpu a new motherboard will be needed as intel decided to lock down chipsets. Upgrades are very limited on your platform and getting off the current platform your on will be the best bet.