What should I upgrade?

Hey guys! My build is as follows:

i7 3770 

GTX 1050 Ti (overclocked to the same performance as a 1070)

8 GB of DDR3 

first of, how long should this build last me? It’s starting to chug a bit with some games (mainly CPU bound ones) but I want to see if if I can resolve that with some more RAM as I can’t really upgrade my CPU as it is the best CPU I can get for that socket. And I really don’t feel like a full re-build unless I’m gonna get a massive boost in performance 

my GPU is good enough for me but what would you recommend as a upgrade anyway.

i would really like to keep it under $200, for both upgrades. 

Cheers

You GPU needs an upgrade. Even with LN2 a 1050 To cannot reach even a 1060 3G, let alone a 1070. Get a 5600 XT or 2060 and a second hand 8GB RAM for a total of 16

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

You GPU needs an upgrade. Even with LN2 a 1050 To cannot reach even a 1060 3G, let alone a 1070. Get a 5600 XT or 2060 and a second hand 8GB RAM for a total of 16

i beg to differ, my 1050 ti runs perfect, high settings 1440p at 60 fps (give or take a little depending on the game)

Any suggestions for a new CPU/MOBO bundle for cheap that will perform better than what i have?

10 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

i beg to differ, my 1050 ti runs perfect, high settings 1440p at 60 fps (give or take a little depending on the game)

Any suggestions for a new CPU/MOBO bundle for cheap that will perform better than what i have?

Ryzen 5 1600AF (it's basically a cheaper 2600) and a B450 Pro4 or Steel Legend from ASRock.

And a GPU. A 1050 To needs to be running at 4000MHz core and 16000MHz memory to even match a 1060 man...

10 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

No, because as @5x5 said the GPU is the most bottlenecking thing at the moment.
And that you think the 1050Ti is running as a 1070 doesn't make it true. As without evidence most if not all people will think you talk nonsense.

dont mean to insult, just being honest and direct.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

14 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

Any current gen CPU/Mobo will need DDR4 RAM, so keep that in mind. What's your budget?

Just now, ErA.l said:

Any current gen CPU/Mono will need DDR4 RAM, so keep that in mind. What's your budget?

$200 AUD.

Would a 4790K do better? I'm happy to overclock quite a bit

14 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

$200 AUD.

That's not an upgrade at all. It's almost the same performance as your current CPU.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

That's not an upgrade at all. It's almost the same performance as your current CPU.

its a 20% boost stock, and ill overclock it another 15% even. 

plus the Devil's Canyon is a bit sentimental to me, since it was my first ever PC part i saw when i was getting into PC modding when i was only a kid (i know it's silly, dont mind me lol)

what would you reccomend?

16 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

$200 AUD.

Get a new gpu. Your 1050 is holding your cpu back. A 3770 can easily run a gtx 1660 or rx 5600xt. What you are claiming that your 1050 is running as good as a 1070 is nonsense. The 1070 is like 3x as powerfull as that card.

44 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

It’s starting to chug a bit with some games (mainly CPU bound ones)

just to clarify, what are these "cpu bound" games that you are playing?

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

1 minute ago, Oswin said:

just to clarify, what are these "cpu bound" games that you are playing?

I play alot of strategy games and very technical games.

like I play Planetary Annihilation, 0AD, Total Warfare (AKA games with either alot of troops running around or a lot of physics)

Also Tekkit (heavily modded minecraft) Citie's skylines, and the sort

5 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

its a 20% boost stock, and ill overclock it another 15% even. 

plus the Devil's Canyon is a bit sentimental to me, since it was my first ever PC part i saw when i was getting into PC modding when i was only a kid (i know it's silly, dont mind me lol)

what would you reccomend?

That's still won't cover the 300% difference between a 1050 Ti and 1070, my friend.

I told ya - Ryzen 5 1600AF (basically a cheap 2600) and a B450 board.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

That's still won't cover the 300% difference between a 1050 Ti and 1070, my friend.

I told ya - Ryzen 5 1600AF (basically a cheap 2600) and a B450 board.

we can look at specs all we want, but the 1070 can play the same games, at the same settings, at the same framerates my card can. I dont know how to explain it, it just does.

And for the games i play, which only use my CPU predominately, i think the 4790K will be a better choice for me 

2 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

we can look at specs all we want, but the 1070 can play the same games, at the same settings, at the same framerates my card can. I dont know how to explain it, it just does.

And for the games i play, which only use my CPU predominately, i think the 4790K will be a better choice for me 

The 4790K is a minimal difference. It's almost the same core design as the 3770K - the primary difference between Ivy Bridge and Haswell is the iGPU and decoder. The CPU is virtually the same. Buying a 4790K is a waste of money.

3 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

Do not get a 4790k. That cpu is basically the same performance and the money you'd invest in it + a board would be as much as getting a far better ryzen setup.

3 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

And it's not comparing specs - it's comparing reality to fiction. A 1050 Ti is INcapable of reaching even an RX 470. Matching a 1070 is NOT possible.
RX 470 vs. GTX 1050 Ti: Which Graphics Card is a Better Deal ...

Just now, 5x5 said:

The 4790K is a minimal difference. It's almost the same core design as the 3770K - the primary difference between Ivy Bridge and Haswell is the iGPU and decoder. The CPU is virtually the same. Buying a 4790K is a waste of money.

the much higher clocks and cache will make all the difference in the games i play. It's virtually a 35% performance boost

Just now, Burnedice25 said:

the much higher clocks and cache will make all the difference in the games i play. It's virtually a 35% performance boost

It will help but it's old and not worth investing into. You can get for the same price something new that beats a oc'd 4790k.

What kind of math are you doing here? The cache is the same, the maximum theoretical clockspeed that can be achieved with both is 4.6-4.7 on the 3770K and 4.7 on the 4790K. It's the SAME.

Just now, 5x5 said:

And it's not comparing specs - it's comparing reality to fiction. A 1050 Ti is INcapable of reaching even an RX 470. Matching a 1070 is NOT possible.
RX 470 vs. GTX 1050 Ti: Which Graphics Card is a Better Deal ...

as much as i would agree with you, i've seen my card perform things it really shouldnt. again, i cant explain it, im happy to provide proof.

as much as i would agree with you, i've seen my card perform things it really shouldnt. again, i cant explain it, im happy to provide proof.

Please do so - provide a video of you running Doom Eternal at 1440p or a similar demanding game. Or maybe running 8x MSAA in Withcer 3. Or Hairworks. Or whatever. It's not possible.

Just now, 5x5 said:

What kind of math are you doing here? The cache is the same, the maximum theoretical clockspeed that can be achieved with both is 4.6-4.7 on the 3770K and 4.7 on the 4790K. It's the SAME.

i dont have a 3770k, i have a stock 3770, and i only want to do a cheap upgrade, so this will be an in between. It'll provide way better performance for me and the games i play  

1 minute ago, Burnedice25 said:

i dont have a 3770k, i have a stock 3770, and i only want to do a cheap upgrade, so this will be an in between. It'll provide way better performance for me and the games i play  

The difference is still less than 20% - you have to clock the 4790K over 5GHz in order to see a "35% increase" - that's not in the realm of possibility. Get a Ryzen 5 if you want a new CPU. Or do the smart thing and upgrade the GPU

It's not an inbetween when you need to get a new motherboard that allows overclocking (and those are stupid expensive because they are rare) and a 4790k which is also easily over 100$ and not worth the price.

Again get a ryzen 2600, 1600af or the best choice a 3600 and a b450 board + some ram. It will be better than anything a 4790k could ever dream of doing.