Desk PC v2 *complete for now*

derr12

After some shortcomings in my Linus style build have worn a little on me. I decided to have another crack at this. Still using the 32x64 glass panel from the last build. 

Some sketches. Still working out the measurements. I am limited to 33.5 inches total depth. 

image.jpg

Parts list. 

X570 elite, r9 3900x, 32g 3600 cl16 ram. 2tb nvme, 2x 8tb storage drives. 5700xt. 

Corsair 850 psu.

Optimus cpu block, ek gpu  block, phanteks 1260 rad, 8x 200mm fans. 3x 140mm fans. D5 pump. Big ass res. No name fan controller for the 200mm fans.

Probably go hard tube tube in the visible part of the cabinet and soft tube below. Likely use bulkhead connectors. Psu in the cabinet. Run cables to the rear to simplify IO placement. Find a doner case for motherboard tray and rear mounts.

I may get after the main box construction as soon as this weekend. Probably use half inch mdf as my base material.

I'm sorry... I don't understand what I'm looking at in these drawings.  Seems like a fun idea to build a computer into your desk, and I'd like more information on how it's going, but you aren't giving us much background information here.

The lower left seems to be a front view, and I THINK the lower right is the top-down with the topof the table removed? or is it a bottom up?  The upper left and upper right, they are side views, but what details are they showing?  And what is the upper central image?

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

All will be made clear in good time. But you are correct, left is front view, right is top down. I got the cabinet all cut out and the back panel getting glue today. Would have cut some more boards but it started to rain.

0CBA5FCE-0800-443D-8B8A-D65479AA759A.jpeg

And another view of the top and front of the cabinet. Here is where the rad intake fans and mobo will reside. Just gluing/screwing the top/front panel on. 

1A8E8E00-861D-4EAE-8A00-4BA14CFA3C3A.jpeg

Trying out something a little tougher than drywall mud. Bondo glazing putty. Pro-tip. It won’t dry unless it’s a thin coat. Gonna take a few applications to cover screw holes but it seems to sand good and much harder than drywall mud.

image.jpg

Abandoned the glazing putty. It will be good for edges, that’s about it. See if I can find a 2 part epoxy wood filler to deal with these. 

In the mean time, I started the rear support, going to have a cable run in the hollow. Having the mdf strips turned perpendicular is helping pull some of the bow out of the mdf panel too.

D6333178-39F4-48D3-AB1A-EA31B3F18627.jpeg

Table legs and top runners getting made. 

0D33866C-0278-4BAC-AE92-2B880E1BA961.jpeg

Very cool project, I will be following along!

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I can't wait to see it done!

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600x 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • GPU
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING OC Video Card
  • Case
    Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
  • Storage
    Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • PSU
    Corsair VS 550 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
  • Cooling
    Deepcool Gamerstorm Captain 240 PRO
  • Operating System
    WIndows 10 home

Mocked it up today. I glued the last two pieces together. And will be doing final fitting tomorrow before I start finishing work on the exterior. In a perfect world I would just glue everything, I just don’t have access to clamps big enough. I’ll be re-inforcing with corner brackets, t’s, and such so that it doesn’t crumble like a house of cards. I had good luck with glazing putty that wasn’t 10 years old for the mdf edges. 

2ACB0439-1605-4AA4-A60D-8F3B2FEA190C.jpeg

Starting to get the legs and steel brackets on, likely hide the corner brackets with a wood brace. Give it a bit more rigidity that way anyways.

B6BEE65B-1ADE-4AAB-9A46-6D17E55F5B64.jpeg

Found my first error. My cabinet is a full inch too long. Not sure if I was drinking or not (probably). So I’ve knocked the front panels out and mounted them inside the Cabinet vs on the front and decided to add another panel to the rear support which will make more space for running cables anyways. That takes care of the extra inch. 

Only other option was a sloppy chop job with a skill saw.

napkin math has its downsides.

16 hours ago, derr12 said:

Found my first error. My cabinet is a full inch too long. Not sure if I was drinking or not (probably). So I’ve knocked the front panels out and mounted them inside the Cabinet vs on the front and decided to add another panel to the rear support which will make more space for running cables anyways. That takes care of the extra inch. 

Only other option was a sloppy chop job with a skill saw.

napkin math has its downsides.

Extra space for cables is always nice, this is an error you can afford :). Looking forward to the rest!

Ok so all the pieces are here And it fits. Now I work on some rigidity issues and figure out just how I’m going to bolt the two sections together. 

84E4A1E7-6EEF-4CB8-A979-F1471796CED3.jpeg

Decided that the brackets are ugly and offer little help in most cases. Gonna glue n screw all this stuff together.

working on some corner brackets for the front support. 

image.jpg

Alright, so this has resolved my rigidity issues. One more glue n screw for the one brace and I can start filling holes and sanding and making a couple trim pieces. 

2ED81AC6-B6C4-4041-9283-A3EA317CBC18.jpeg

Most of the filling/sanding done. Next thing will be cutting the vent hole in the front cover, cutting and fitting the rad and motherboard mounts, final putty glaze and sand then primer. 

0821E4BF-DF4E-4FC9-A289-7F6C6BA06EDD.jpeg

After messing with the motherboard mounts and catching one as it fell. “Ah good, our first scratch of the day” 

image.jpg