12TB External HDD Transfer Speed Issue

I purchased a 12TB WD Easystore usb 3.0 external hard drive to backup my media files to. When i am transferring files it start out at 70mb/s and will periodically drop to 20mb/s or even stall out to 0mb/s for a few seconds then go back up to 70mb/s then back down again. I have tried changing to removable device policy from quick disconnect to better performance and the only change is instead of capping at 70mb/s it caps at 30mb/s but the fluctuation to 20mb/s or even 0mb/s is still there. I purchased the drive yesterday and i was getting steady 100mb/s+ transfers yesterday but today this is happening. any idea what is going on?

5 minutes ago, Patrick82439 said:

I purchased a 12TB WD Easystore usb 3.0 external hard drive to backup my media files to. When i am transferring files it start out at 70mb/s and will periodically drop to 20mb/s or even stall out to 0mb/s for a few seconds then go back up to 70mb/s then back down again. I have tried changing to removable device policy from quick disconnect to better performance and the only change is instead of capping at 70mb/s it caps at 30mb/s but the fluctuation to 20mb/s or even 0mb/s is still there. I purchased the drive yesterday and i was getting steady 100mb/s+ transfers yesterday but today this is happening. any idea what is going on?

Are you transferring lots of small files today but several large files yesterday?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I am transferring the same kind of files as i was yesterday. It's a media library with different files ranging from 500Mb to 2Gb per file split into different folders which are broken into different sub folders. I'm in the process of backing up my library and i started yesterday and tried to finish today when i ran into this issue.

1. Consider backups with regards to the 3-2-1 rule. https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/3-2-1-backup-strategy-why-your-data-always-survives
You should not use just a single box as a backup as you will lose everything on its failure. Consider have one more external drive or NAS or use a cloud such as Wasabi or Backblaze.

2. IMO Use the right backups that are WORM backups. https://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/WORM-write-once-read-many

3. Consider the switch to a proper backup tool such are Veeam Endpoint, Duplicacy, Rclone. Each one mentioned is free to use backup software. And each zips your data into a file and lock/encrypt it with the password (optionally). Despite manual file copying, they will do sequential write of data to backup storage with the maximum its speed.