Hard drive issues

I have a WD Blue 1TB hard drive, ive had it for around 6 years. Its had some issues but now its really bad. The active time is always at 100% idle when there is 0mb/s read & write. and PassMark DiskCheckup says the average latency is 30003ms. I cant open any folders without explorer freezing up and i have around 900GB of stuff on there that i cannot use. And of course this happens when im in lockdown. Does anyone know how to fix this please?

{436774F7-2E0D-4BE5-ACB9-5B52B0C9AAD5}.png.jpg

run chkdsk from the command prompt or go into the properties of the drive, click the tools tab and click Check under error checking.  Start with that if it will let you

15 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

run chkdsk from the command prompt or go into the properties of the drive, click the tools tab and click Check under error checking.  Start with that if it will let you

To be fair, that could do as much harm as good.  Really once a HDD is this bad you need to clone it to another drive before attempting to recover data.

Odds are its toast though.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

24 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

chkdsk doesnt do anything (it doesnt print anything to the console), and the error checking says "We havent found any errors on this drive"

I sort of figured it would not do anything.  Do you have a spare sata cable to switch out or dock you could put the drive in? 

15 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

To be fair, that could do as much harm as good.  Really once a HDD is this bad you need to clone it to another drive before attempting to recover data.

Odds are its toast though.

just wanting to see if the drive would respond.

6 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

I sort of figured it would not do anything.  Do you have a spare sata cable to switch out or dock you could put the drive in? 

I have tried another sata cable but that didn't do anything.

If you go into disk management do you get a window popping up telling you to initialize the disk?  You might have to initialize the disk to access it, but then you need to be ready to get what you need off of the disk.  You might be able to grab the files from explorer or you may need to run a recovery program to get the files.

Just now, TylerDurden! said:

If you go into disk management do you get a window popping up telling you to initialize the disk?  You might have to initialize the disk to access it, but then you need to be ready to get what you need off of the disk.  You might be able to grab the files from explorer or you may need to run a recovery program to get the files.

Yeah disk management was the first thing I tried but it wont open, it says at the bottom "loading disk configuration information"

awesome!

1 minute ago, JaayOCE said:

Yeah disk management was the first thing I tried but it wont open, it says at the bottom "loading disk configuration information"

awesome!  shut down, disconnect crazy drive, turn back on, can you get into disk management now?

run "cmd" as admin, run sfc /scannow

6 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

awesome!

awesome!  shut down, disconnect crazy drive, turn back on, can you get into disk management now?

run "cmd" as admin, run sfc /scannow

yep disk management opens when the bad hard drive is off.

do i run sfc /scannow while the bad drive is on?

41 minutes ago, JaayOCE said:

yep disk management opens when the bad hard drive is off.

do i run sfc /scannow while the bad drive is on?

with it off/disconnected

21 hours ago, TylerDurden! said:

with it off/disconnected

I left my pc off overnight and I just booted it up now and the hard drive works fine? What couldve been the problem??

32 minutes ago, JaayOCE said:

I left my pc off overnight and I just booted it up now and the hard drive works fine? What couldve been the problem??

probably had time to cool off.  I would still get that stuff off of the drive right away though, it could start acting up on you again.  You can still use the drive for stuff, just do not put anything you cannot replace on it.  Before using again though, I would low-level format the drive first, then you can do a regular format and put the file system back to NTFS