Playing FHD video on FHD monitor vs 4K monitor

giusgius

Hi, as you know playing 4K video on FHD monitor give way better, clear image, more detailed.

I wonder if playing FHD video on 4K monitor can give better image quality, clearness, more details compared to playing FHD on FHD monitor?

Is it possible to get better image playing FHD video on 4K monitor? I think no.

Thanks 

Laptop: Sony Vaio E17 i7-3632QM // HD 7650M 

Monitor: Asus Designo MX239H // TX-58DXR800 4K

Storage: SanDisk Extreme PRO, WD Black 500GB

Sound: Asus Xonar U7 MKII // Logitech Z906 5.1 THX

Mobile: Google Pixel 7

No, it won’t, it’s a fucking myth that 1080p video looks better at 2160p and the people who peddle that damn myth should be shot on the spot.

When anything is played at its non-native resolution, it is scaled to compensate for that. If anything 1080p video at 2160p will just look blurry and blocky if the compression sucks.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

That thing only works one way. Playing a 1080 video on 4k monitor is the same as playing a 480 video on a 1080 monitor. You'll get poor quality which you'll notice more if your screen is bigger.

Actually, the opposite is true in most cases on computer displays. Unless the 1080p video is upscaled using a nearest neighbor algorithm to 2160p before being sent to the display, it will look worse on a 2160p display than it would on an otherwise identical 1080p display, due to interpolation. Many people believe that, since 2160p is a perfect integer multiple of 1080p, there is no interpolation happening when the image is scaled, but that is not how it works under the hood. Displays use a bilinear algorithm to scale non-native resolutions, not a nearest neighbor algorithm, which is what is required for pixel perfect scaling.

Until recently, playing games at 1080p on a 2160p display resulted in worse visual quality than on a native 1080p display. Recent drivers have introduced integer scaling, which creates a perfect 1080p->2160p or 720p->1440p upscale. However, I don't think that this applies to video, unless you use a video decoder that uses Direct3D in full screen exclusive mode.

14 hours ago, giusgius said:

Hi, as you know playing 4K video on FHD monitor give way better, clear image, more detailed.

I wonder if playing FHD video on 4K monitor can give better image quality, clearness, more details compared to playing FHD on FHD monitor?

Is it possible to get better image playing FHD video on 4K monitor? I think no.

Thanks 

Hi

Playing 4K videos on FHD monitor gives you nothing. Of course if 1080p version of video is perfeclty encoded. Try to watch fullHD movie from 4GB file and from 16GB file (or even 20GB). You can find that files. They'll look like downscaling 4K videos or even better. But of course everyone compress videos too much, so if you want to get the same quality as from BluRay Full HD, you need higher resolution and downscale it.

About upscaling lower resolution - if you have film 320x240 for example, every player these days will upscale it with pretty good interpolation and you'll get noticeable better quality than if you'll scale without any interpolation. But that resolution is still very low so it's not a big surprise that interpolation gives you some advantages. In case FullHD to 4K with upscale proper interpolation - it's not that simple. From far distance you may notice that upscaling with interpolation is more blurry, but from small distance you'll see no pixels, but perfectly smooth image. What is better? I think good interpolation with extra image processing like small sharpening may gives you delusion of better quality. And, if we're talking about movies, that delusion is what is more important that facts. You must be satisfied with effect, even if in theory effect will be worse.

In sound business producers can create now really good devices that can increase quality of bad encoded mp3 using strong and complex processing. So picture can be processed the same way and everything depends on alghoritms. It never will be the same as original 4K, but still - do you prefer a little blurry image watching old laser discs or maybe you prefer to see big pixels? :)