Scratch on gpu pcb, still works! Need some advice though

MagePepsi

Hello to all the members of this great forum!, I need some advice from you, last year while replacing the thermal paste of my nvidia geforce 1070 msi armor, I scratched the pcb mistakenly, the card works fine to this day! But recently I changed again the paste and the scratch of course was still there making me wonder.. It is really fine if I leave it like this? Should I put something to cover? Some kind of insulant spray? (some tech enthusiast friend of mine told me to put some nail polish 0.o) can anyone tell me what should I do? Also there is some most likely conductive metal dust coming from it (or maybe from the bolt on the right) I cleaned it but I'm still worried, thanks for the help! 

IMG-20200325-WA0183.jpeg

IMG-20200325-WA0187.jpeg

IMG-20200325-WA0186.jpeg

IMG-20200325-WA0191.jpeg

Nail polish will do as a precaution. Otherwise, if the connection isnt severed or not shorted by anything. Its fine.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

As long as nothing conductive touches it and creates a short, you don't really need to worry about it.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Thank you a Lot to the both of you! I know that nail polish becomes somewhat soft at temperatures like 50 c etc.. That is why I'm asking if it is better to use a spray or some paint(I know that paint is insulant) . Also even if the moisture generated by the heat of the gpu touches the scratch, it should be fine? 

I would definitely cover it. It doesn't cost a lot of money to do it, and it might prevent failures down the road.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 minutes ago, MagePepsi said:

Thank you a Lot to the both of you! I know that nail polish becomes somewhat soft at temperatures like 50 c etc.. That is why I'm asking if it is better to use a spray or some paint(I know that paint is insulant) . Also even if the moisture generated by the heat of the gpu touches the scratch, it should be fine? 

Use conformal coating. If you get any condensation, the metal might corrode. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Thank you! You mean the one made of silicon? 

2 minutes ago, MagePepsi said:

Thank you! You mean the one made of silicon? 

You can use either acrylic or silicon. Other materials exist, but these will be the easiest to deal with as far as curing.

One more question, sorry for bothering, I have at home these products, the one one the left is acrylic paint, the one on the right is polish/enamel house paint and the one on the center is silicon sealant, is any of these suitable for covering the scratch and not worrying? The silicon one says it becomes a polymer after 24 hr, really hard in 1 hour and a film after 25 minutes..so much like the conformal coating? 

IMG_20200327_164633.jpg

IMG_20200327_164642.jpg

IMG_20200327_165356.jpg

You should be fine to use those products. Be careful how you apply it though, you only want to cover what needs to be covered. If you have any over spray, it might get on components that require cooling, and they won't have as much thermal transfer. I'm focusing more on the VRMs, heatsinks, and the GPU(the die area).

Thank you everyone for the help, I applied some acrylic paint to the scratch, let it dryed off and as of now. The gpu is working as good as always! Thank you ❤️