X570 or B450 for Ryzen 3900X ?

Hey guys,

I want to buy a new system with a Ryzen 3900X and 16GB of RAM.

But I dont know which Mainboard I should buy because most of the X570 boards are very expensive in my opinion.

In the end I chose those 2 mainboards which look great for me. Both have Wifi and BT 5.0 what I would like to have as well as USB-C :

MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC for about 142€

ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus Wifi for about 230€

But there is still a price difference of about 90€.....so my question is should I go with the 90€ more expensive ASUS board or can the B450 Pro Carbon also handle a 3900X?

Because I dont want to spend money in things where I dont notice the better performance....

You want the TUF has 200A capacity is a Tier A while the Carbon is Tier C.

The information can be found here.

but what about the feature set? the Carbon doesnt have nearly as many SATA ports and only 1 full speed M.2 slot from the start

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

28 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You want the TUF has 200A capacity is a Tier A while the Carbon is Tier C.

The information can be found here.

What should this information tell me? 

Because according to this list a Tier C board can also run a 3900x...

26 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

but what about the feature set? the Carbon doesnt have nearly as many SATA ports and only 1 full speed M.2 slot from the start

1 M.2 would be enough for me. 

I only need 3 Sata ports : MX500 & MX100 SSDs as well as my Blu-ray player. 

1 minute ago, MaxMustermann said:

What should this information tell me? 

Because according to this list a Tier C board can also run a 3900x...

Better VRMs and more of them. Less chance of roasting one if you heavy load a lot. I assume you will be making use of 24 threads quite a bit and would probably want a board that would better be suited to handle such current draw especially if it's going to be often. 

If that makes any sense....

Ah okay so you mean to be on the safer side? 

Most time I want to play games. 

But I thought about streaming....so I don't know how much heavy load I can generate... 

In the end my idea was that perhaps 12 cores would be better for using this rig for the next 5-6 years like my actual setup. 

Are there any other opinions or even experiences with B450 and Ryzen 9 CPUs?

39 minutes ago, MaxMustermann said:

Are there any other opinions or even experiences with B450 and Ryzen 9 CPUs?

You can obviously do it... It's just buying a better board is going to handle a 12 core CPU better. 

Honestly if you aren't going to try breaking overclocking records it's probably fine to use a b450 board. 

To be honest though why are you getting a Ryzen 9 3900 anyways? For gaming and a tiny bit of streaming you'd be fine with just a 3700x.

Games up until recently didn't use more than 4 cores so 8 should be fine for 2-3 years. The biggest part of games is having a strong single core score. 

A 3900x is really a "budget doesn't matter" type of CPU for gamers. 

For gaming single core speed is really the most important aspect so in 5-6 years a 3900x will not be that good for gaming due to not having the single core speed of the newer CPUs by then. 

Okay I understand what you mean.

The new consoles will have 8 cores and 16 threads so I think that most games in future will be optimized in 8 cores.

My opinion was to get a 3900X to have "4 more cores" in reserve when I want to use this system for that long.

At the moment the 3900X has the best price for core relatio. It costs 429€. Even better than the 3700X for 289€.

So you think the 3700X will be enough for the next 5-6 years? For gaming and streaming for example? :)

35 minutes ago, MaxMustermann said:

The new consoles will have 8 cores and 16 threads so I think that most games in future will be optimized in 8 cores.

My opinion was to get a 3900X to have "4 more cores" in reserve when I want to use this system for that long.

At the moment the 3900X has the best price for core relatio. It costs 429€. Even better than the 3700X for 289€.

So you think the 3700X will be enough for the next 5-6 years? For gaming and streaming for example? :)

You can't really make the comparison directly to consoles, since games designed for those only have to work on one set of hardware. Optimizations, such as multi-core usage, can be maximized because the developers know EXACTLY what it will run on. PC games (either PC only or console ports) have to work on a HUGE variety of hardware, so games designed broadly to support 8+ cores will take a lot longer to happen.

I also think a 3900X is overkill for what you are planning to use it for; a 3700X would suit you very nicely for the next few years.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

2 hours ago, MaxMustermann said:

You don't want to try and buy a PC to "future proof" for 5 to 6 years. It's a waste of money. 

The biggest problem today is that AMD still has tons of room to gain in the coveted single core speed. Intel on the other hand can't pack more than 8 cores into a CPU without it becoming a heating appliance. 

One or both those companies will fix their particular issue and prices should go down. 

There's just so much room for improvement in the next few years on both sides I'd buy something good enough for now and wait for the big change.

4 hours ago, toasty99 said:

You don't want to try and buy a PC to "future proof" for 5 to 6 years. It's a waste of money. 

The biggest problem today is that AMD still has tons of room to gain in the coveted single core speed. Intel on the other hand can't pack more than 8 cores into a CPU without it becoming a heating appliance. 

One or both those companies will fix their particular issue and prices should go down. 

There's just so much room for improvement in the next few years on both sides I'd buy something good enough for now and wait for the big change.

How would you think about the idea of getting a 3700X or even a 1600AF (same like 2600) and then wait for the upcoming 4000 Ryzen CPUs?

6 hours ago, MaxMustermann said:

How would you think about the idea of getting a 3700X or even a 1600AF (same like 2600) and then wait for the upcoming 4000 Ryzen CPUs?

That's harder to say. 

We don't really know yet what Ryzen 4000 will look like.

It's really up to where you guess CPU performance is going in the next few years.

For a 3900x you want a X570. This is mainly because of the  better VRMs (voltage regulation managers) on the newer model boards. The 3900x draws a lot of power, and you want a board optimized for that. With the 3700x you could get away with the B450. 

9 minutes ago, ErA.l said:

The 3900x draws a lot of power, and you want a board optimized for that

actually the 2700x is fairly comparable to the 3900x powerwise. they really arent all that powerhungry for what they are. 

providing he has some sort of airflow he could run it on tomahawk derivatives or the pro Carbon he was looking at. 

10 minutes ago, ErA.l said:

With the 3700x you could get away with the B450. 

you can get away with the 3950x on a decent B450 board providing you have some airflow. preferably a downdraft cooler. 

2700x/3900x is perfectly fine on a decent B450 board. 

My bad, 

You are quite right. The Gaming Pro Carbon has excellent VRM, so that should work perfectly. 

3 minutes ago, ErA.l said:

You are quite right. The Gaming Pro Carbon has excellent VRM, so that should work perfectly. 

its good by B450 standards. 

but even lower end board like the B450m Pro4 can handle powerhungry CPUs providing you give it airflow and do not overclock. 

this doesnt apply to all board tho. as a board like the B450m A-Pro really shouldnt handle any of the more powerhungry offerings. due to it lack of heatsink, and piss poor VRM. 

Guys I finally got my config 

CPU: 3900X

MB: Asus Strix X570 E-Gaming 

RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3200Mhz

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for helping me :)

1 hour ago, MaxMustermann said:

Thanks for helping me :)

Up and running??!!

How about some benchmark screenshots??!!! :D

On 4/14/2020 at 3:34 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

Up and running??!!

How about some benchmark screenshots??!!! :D

What kind of benchmark screens you wanna see? :D

Just now, MaxMustermann said:

What kind of benchmark screens you wanna see? :D

Hey there he is!!

Oh you know, the same old everything! XD

It's really good for multi-threading? How about WPrime 32m and 1024m (cause you don't see it much anymore.)

Cinebench R15/20 would be cool. Always fun to see those get banged out quick. 

Anything maybe some 3D??

On 4/22/2020 at 1:49 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

Hey there he is!!

Oh you know, the same old everything! XD

It's really good for multi-threading? How about WPrime 32m and 1024m (cause you don't see it much anymore.)

Cinebench R15/20 would be cool. Always fun to see those get banged out quick. 

Anything maybe some 3D??

WPrime? Don't know this benchmark. Only Prime95 :D

But Cinebench Ri15/20 is okay. :)

IMG_20200422_222528.jpg

OH!! You need benchmarks. 

Well all you needed to do is ask.

Here is the compile of benchmarks you can run.

Enjoy.

https://hwbot.org/benchmarks/