Can this Dell 265 W PSU handle this load

kingmustard

I have a Dell Precision T1600 (2012 model), which I use as a Windows 10-based Plex server.

I bought a Dynamode USB-4PCI-3.0, which is a 4-port USB 3.0 PCI-Express card, and cost £17.

The issue is that it's powered by a Molex connector, and the system's 265 W, 65%-rated PSU only has 4x SATA power connectors (all used by my drives) and 2x motherboard connectors.

If I figure out a way to split one of the power supply's SATA power connectors, do you think the PSU will handle the system's hardware?

Full (relevant) hardware list (with, what I believe is, the power consumption):

• Intel Xeon E3-1270 (95W)
  • AMD Radeon HD 5450 (19 W)
  • Western Digital WDS120G2G0A SSD (3 W)
  • Toshiba MD04ACA500 HDD (6 W)
  • Seagate ST4000DM004 HDD (4 W)
  • Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD (7 W)
  • 2x port-powered external USB 3.0 HDDs connected to the USB 3.0 PCI-Express card ports

14 minutes ago, kingmustard said:
  • Intel Xeon E3-1270 (95W)
  • AMD Radeon HD 5450 (19 W)
  • Western Digital WDS120G2G0A SSD (3 W)
  • Toshiba MD04ACA500 HDD (6 W)
  • Seagate ST4000DM004 HDD (4 W)
  • Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD (7 W)

This would not account for any other peripherals or accessory drives/cards that you could have in your system. This is a good website which can help you find you factor in all of your power supply needs to find the recommended power supply wattage. Do you have the option to upgrade the PSU or is it proprietary with your Dell system?

link to aforementioned website:   https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Yes. Pretty sure there are SATA-Molex adapters around.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

This would not account for any other peripherals or accessory drives/cards that you could have in your system. This is a good website which can help you find you factor in all of your power supply needs to find the recommended power supply wattage. Do you have the option to upgrade the PSU or is it proprietary with your Dell system?

link to aforementioned website:   https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I do but a decent PSU would start at around £50 and £50 + £17 for the card is a lot of money just to add USB 3.0 ports.

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yes. Pretty sure there are SATA-Molex adapters around.

The issue is that I still need the four SATA power connectors that come with the PSU to power my four internal drives.

Turns out buying a splitter is a bit more difficult than I thought it would be, due to making sure I get the male and female parts correct.

1 minute ago, kingmustard said:

is a lot of money just to add USB 3.0 ports.

19 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

2x port-powered external USB 3.0 HDDs connected to the USB 3.0 PCI-Express card ports

I understand your situation, do you have in mind what hard drives you are planning to connect (include the model of the external hard drive or model of internal hard drive and enclosure/connector module)?

@Boomwebsearch 

What do you need to connect to this card?

Unless it's something crazy the bus power should suffice and the molex connector not even needed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

What do you need to connect to this card?

Unless it's something crazy the bus power should suffice and the molex connector not even needed.

That's what I thought :(

StarTech.com 12in SATA to LP4 Power Cable Adapter F: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

71oT-ztth8L._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.fe35049d7da1612bc004f89a093e55f0.jpg

Valueline VLCP73555V015 0.15m SATA 15 Pin Male to Molex Female + SATA 15 Pin Female Internal Power Adapter Cable - Multicolour: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

61GCUJSK-dL._AC_SL1024_.jpg.2cedf397bdedcfc08f6cb3d293393fb7.jpg

StarTech 4x SATA Power Splitter Adapter Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

61rEBgAWUyL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.39a025633eb8a1f951e5239b26721323.jpg

the reason why that molex connector is required...

Standard says pci-e cards pci-e x8 or under, which are not video cards, are in theory restricted to 25w.

With 4 ports each capable of 0.9A, you have 4 x 0.9 x 5v = 18 watts , and add 1w or so for the card's own power consumption, and you get close to 25w

So they add a separate connector for the usb ports power

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Power

• x1 cards are limited to 0.5 A at +12 V (6 W) and 10 W combined.
  • x4 and wider cards are limited to 2.1 A at +12 V (25 W) and 25 W combined.
  • A full-sized x1 card may draw up to the 25 W limits after initialization and software configuration as a "high power device".

edit: and yeah, the psu should be able to handle.

1 minute ago, kingmustard said:

These are both pretty efficient external hard drives, they should not have any issues with being connected over USB 3.0 to your Dell T1600 computer system. Just a reminder, please make sure that you are protecting your data against hardware failure with redundancy and an off-site backup in case of an unfortunate event occurring (ex. fire, flood, theft).

@Boomwebsearch 

Just now, kingmustard said:

Are all three needed?

I made suggestions, dude.

I have no idea how the sata connectors you have are arranged. Do you have 2 chains each with 2 connectors, do you have one chain with 4? 

Maybe you want to route a chain with 2 connectors to the drives, and one chain towards the card, in which case the cheapest sata->molex is all you need... But, you would be left with only 2 sata connectors close to the hdd trays.

IF you want to or need more sata connectors, you may want the sata -> multiple sata cable to be able to install more drives.

The sata-> molex+sata is cool cable, but kinda short, so if you plug the molex end in the adapter card, the sata end is in the middle of the case, so it's not like you will have a drive hanging in the center of the case there.

That adapter is often used to power some case fan on the front panel with molex connector and a sata drive in hdd tray at same time, from a sata connector, so a location were both devices are grouped together.