Youtube to Reduce Default Playback Resolution to 480p Globally

DVD res is making a comeback yo!

full-hd-6489081.png

TLDR :

• Spoiler

• Corona quarantine increased general video streaming traffic.
    • YouTube traffic being among one of them.
    • YouTube is deciding to lower automatic playback resolution from HD to 480p to deal with ISP stress.
    • You can manually change it to HD.
    • But default Playback will be locked to 480p max whenever you open a window anywhere.
    • It will be a temporary 30 day setting for the whole of April.
    • 30 day goal is due to the virus being under control scenario & people getting back to work & the traffic reduces.
    • Being applied WorldWide (not locked to any particular region).
    • Thanks Corona.

YouTube streaming has surged due to people being under quarantine during this pandemic. Google is well equipped to handle YouTube streaming strain in the past, But the current problem is the consistency at which contents needs to be provided. For the first time ever Youtube is above Netflix ranking almost 2X the Volume in streaming data. To counter the global traffic Youtube is planning to reduce the default resolution to 480 to reduce the pressure on internet infrastructure globally.

Total%20Internet%20Traffic%20Infographic

YouTube already limits the quality of video based on the strength of a user’s internet connection. YouTube doesn’t believe the world will run out of internet bandwidth any time soon, but is taking a preemptive measure given growing concerns at the government level.We continue to work closely with governments and network operators around the globe to do our part to minimize stress on the system during this unprecedented situation

The resolution limit is set for a month (30 days) globally across all platform. 30 days limit is due to the expectation that the pandemic & associated quarantine will be under control by time.

YouTube%20Crush%20Netflix.png?width=600&

Most of the current generation isn't subscribed to cable like old gen folks glued to a TV , so naturally most of the internet platforms are being relied for daily entertainment. Plus Over 43% of the global internet is consumed by Netflix, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft & Apple collectively.

Use of streaming services has surged  in recent weeks as hundreds of millions of people stay home to contain the spread of the virus. While YouTube viewing has historically spiked in the evening when people are off work, consumption is now more steady across the day

In Europe, video providers including Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+, are also slashing streaming quality to avoid internet congestion. Read about it in a previous thread here made by Porina >>

Anyways what do you think about it , Post your comments & thoughts down below. imo i think it's a decent move. i wouldn't say a good one since it's the year 2020 & we shouldn't be at a 480p dvd res as a default at this point.  that's 2009 dvd era shit. atleast 720p should be a standard. especially when they know they can handle it globally, but 480p is just reducing it furthermore for that extra safe space that isn't essential.

QuaintLegitimateIceblueredtopzebra-size_

Sources:

https://www.bloomberg.com/technology?sref=nF2P89s4

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/youtube-definition/

https://www.psu.com/news/youtube-default-video-quality-being-reduced-to-standard-definition/

https://www.sandvine.com/blog/covid-19-update-growth-of-video-during-work-at-home

https://www.onenewspage.com/n/Technology/1zlqy75ecn/YouTube-is-reducing-its-default-video-quality-to.htm

https://bgr.com/2020/03/24/youtube-video-quality-sd-coronavirus-impact/

https://www.wired.com/story/youtube-slashes-video-quality-save-bandwidth/

Others :

https://www.sandvine.com/blog/netflix-vs.-google-vs.-amazon-vs.-facebook-vs.-microsoft-vs.-apple-traffic-share-of-internet-brands-global-internet-phenomena-spotlight

https://www.sandvine.com/blog/covid-19-update-growth-of-video-during-work-at-home

Details separate people.

Hmm, 720p would be alright.. But I think 480p is just a bit too low. There is just not enough bitrate in that.

But I guess what must be done, shall be done.

If it's choosing between no YouTube and 480p YouTube, I think I'll go with the latter.

IJeFSvX.png

untitled

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well it's just the default. If you want more you can still set it to HD. On top of that, lots of video content on youtube really doesn't need high resolutions and framerates. Also most people don't give a damn; my dad watches videos all the time, on the tiny screen of his phone, and he doesn't even know of the resolution setting. I think it's a smart move to set the automatic mode to 480; loads of people wouldn't even notice.

How evil of you.

Clipboard01.jpg

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I'd be fine with it if Youtube would actually use a bunch of servers to recompress the content from original source to 480p using high quality preset, not the presets which are "optimized" to be easy to be played by slow machines and so on.

I usually watch everything on 720p... currently using a laptop with 1366x768 resolution so no need for more than that.

FYI , They'll be throttling Console Game download speeds globally soon. read that news while i was looking for other sources for this news.

Details separate people.

I have a bitwit video playing on another system right now. It has a 1080p display. I haven't overrided the quality, it is playing in 1080p, even not running full screen. Hmm... have they not enabled it yet? Or decided I'm worthy of the higher resolution? Or is it done silently? It looks better than 480p. I'd settle for 720p which is often what it defaults to if I don't tinker with it.

BTW I usually run windowed so it'll never display native 1080p, but I prefer 1080p for quality from the higher bitrate. Rarely it'll randomly drop to 360p but manually selecting higher is fine. Not because it is a new upload encoding, it must detect something to make it think my connection sucks.

Will keep monitoring... also just did a speedtest, connection speeds look normal. Actually, might even be a personal best at 382/37 (typically 360/36).

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

I have a bitwit video playing on another system right now. It has a 1080p display. I haven't overrided the quality, it is playing in 1080p, even not running full screen. Hmm... have they not enabled it yet? Or decided I'm worthy of the higher resolution? Or is it done silently? It looks better than 480p. I'd settle for 720p which is often what it defaults to if I don't tinker with it.

it starts from April 1st alone according to the news article. but i guess you can use a browser plugin to force a certain default resolution by then as well.

Details separate people.

Do note that you can very easily manually set the video to whatever other resolution you desire. YouTube is just temporarily cutting the default back to 480p as it generally slashed around 1/3 to 1/2 of the bandwidth required from 720p videos, even more if it’s a 60fps video. 

Nothing really frustrating, thankfully, but something to note.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Nothingburger, it takes 2 clicks per video to change it back and there are extensions to do that for you. But most "normies" won't do it, and that's what will make the difference.

I usually watch YT on my 12" iPad Pro (with comments displayed) and I've more than once been watching half of a video in 480p before noticing it had decided to stream me that for some reason.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

it starts from April 1st alone according to the news article. but i guess you can use a browser plugin to force a certain default resolution by then as well.

Thanks, didn't see that in a skim of the post. I'm not bothered enough that I usually don't change quality unless it becomes really noticeable (like the random drops to 360p). The exception is the occasional video where detail can make more of a difference.

I think most of the content I "watch" is primarily spoken anyway, so less needing to focus on the screen.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Ironically, it's been defaulting me to 1440p recently and I don't know why. I barely have a good enough connection for 1080p. Either way, if I select 1080p the video is just fine.

I mean you can watch on higher no doubt. But really their bitrate overall is bad, they should increase it really.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

As long as they don't change the cap, and just the default... **shrugs** not saying it makes me happy, but it is fair enough

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Does anyone experience the change? My videos are still 1080p by default

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Nothingburger, it takes 2 clicks per video to change it back and there are extensions to do that for you. But most "normies" won't do it, and that's what will make the difference.

I think you are underestimating the number of websites embedding YouTube videos, including (what used to be) news sites surrounding it with a couple poorly written paragraphs, an avalanche of ads and calling it a "news piece". Those also get defaulted, and locked, to 480p.

Which is great!

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, minibois said:

Hmm, 720p would be alright.. But I think 480p is just a bit too low. There is just not enough bitrate in that.

But I guess what must be done, shall be done.

480p looks horrible. 720p too quite frankly. it's not the 90's anymore.

and i think that it's not something that "must be done". the internet is not something that can run out. it's just simple connections between computers. i really do not understand why these measures are neccesary, since my country has been on a sort of lockdown for days, and aside from my router crashing (after a reset it was fine) i've noticed no issues at all... 

She/Her

Are they starting this in April or effective immediately? Cause I just got a video to do 1080p auto. But if this was 2 weeks every video would be 480p lol....

16 minutes ago, Twilight said:

it's just simple connections between computers. i really do not understand why these measures are neccesary

These connections have limited bandwidth, everything will work perfectly fine as long as they aren't saturated, but if they ever became then everything would crash hard potentially for days. And nobody wants that to happen right now since the internet is basically the last thing that still allows people to do things, so it's best to take preventive measures to be sure it doesn't happen.

F@H

GPD Win 2

9 minutes ago, Twilight said:

and i think that it's not something that "must be done". the internet is not something that can run out. it's just simple connections between computers. i really do not understand why these measures are neccesary, since my country has been on a sort of lockdown for days, and aside from my router crashing (after a reset it was fine) i've noticed no issues at all... 

It eases the load on ISPs. A good thing in a time where the people who run the network infrastructure and fix it are probably also trying to stay home.

12 minutes ago, Twilight said:

480p looks horrible. 720p too quite frankly. it's not the 90's anymore.

A  lot of people use YT for music and stuff, or are like me and watch the video in a picture-in-picture overlay in the corner, mostly listening along. For anyone doing that, 480p is going to be fine. You're either ignoring the video anyways, or it's so small that the low resolution doesn't matter. 

For people actively watching stuff, just go to the toggle and toggle it higher if you need more quality to enjoy the content. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Can we not just close down Facebook and have their bandwidth?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

You set it once to hd and it'll follow for every video after

Given my shit internet is in Australia, it's not like I'm not used to changing the res often anyway, just like setting pretty much all US/UK/Canadian videos to playback speeds of 1.5, because you all talk to fucking slow. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

If they force it on Netflix and Amazon, another great reason as to why you don't own your content, these days most of the content never gets released on physical media. more reasons for pirates i guess. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker