Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
frozensun

why usb memory suddenly goes crazy with slooooow copy speed

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi guys,

I'm having sometimes weird issues with 2-3 of my USB memory and it is driving me nuts.

I'm copying Photoshop setup folder onto USB drive which is Kingston DataTraveler 106 128GB over USB 3.0 port on my laptop and look at the transfer speed,even from SSD!

This is nuts and drives me so f..n crazy I could break them all.

What could be cause of such issue?

This happens to a lot of my drives not just Kingston,PNY too.

usb sranje.jpg

27 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Kingston DataTraveler

Are you sure the USB stick is also USB 3.0? Just tossing a USB 2.0 stick into a 3.0 slot won't making them go faster

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

14 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Are you sure the USB stick is also USB 3.0? Just tossing a USB 2.0 stick into a 3.0 slot won't making them go faster

it's even 3.1 :)

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

it's even 3.1 :)

Ok, if you let the program continue to copy, does the xfer speed improve at all?

What happens if you use the built-in windows copy, rather than TeraCopy?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

This can be a lot of factor.

1) Too much USB device connected. USB device has to share the bandwidth and transferring time. If there are 4 USB device plugged in, they will take turns to communicate with the controller, so you'll see a performance impact. Try to unplug a few of your USB device and see if the speed increase.

2) Improper configure of the chipsets. Either the driver is not functioning properly or there's a problem with the controller circuitry. Try to get the latest chipset driver for your motherboard.

3) Misleading USB flash drive advertisement. There are a few USB that advertise they can work with USB 3.0 / 3.1, but in reality, they are only USB 2.0. How to identify if your USB is 2.0 or 3.0?

USB 2.0 only has 4 pin like the picture below

InkedIMG20200326190613_LI.thumb.jpg.540d2ef9e25b743558fa99e4def974f9.jpg

USB 3.0/3.1 will have 5 additional pin on top of the 4 pin:

InkedIMG20200326190627_LI.thumb.jpg.6e7cbe20325723cf750a0e0018ea2422.jpg

4) USB drive over heat. If your USB drive is overheated, performance may suffer.

5) Anti-virus is scanning the file as the file is being copied to the drive. This is normal and although it is annoying, it can't be help but wait for it to finish its job.

6) Malware or other virus could infect your computer. These viruses will replicate itself into your USB drive or integrated into files you copy to the drive to infect other computer. This is a serious threat and you may need to get your computer to disinfect.

7) USB drive may be malfunctioning. It could be the controller chip inside your USB flash drive is not functioning properly.

I do notice you use a program to transfer your file. Just wanted to ask will the transfer speed be any faster if you use Windows Explorer to transfer the file?

Damn,

I just checked,USB has 4 pins,it's model DT106 KIngston 128GB but it's advertised as USB 3.1.

I will try not to use teracopy later in the evening...but these above confused me now.

Is there a way to check is this really USB 3.0/3.1?

3 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

This can be a lot of factor.

1) Too much USB device connected. USB device has to share the bandwidth and transferring time. If there are 4 USB device plugged in, they will take turns to communicate with the controller, so you'll see a performance impact. Try to unplug a few of your USB device and see if the speed increase.

2) Improper configure of the chipsets. Either the driver is not functioning properly or there's a problem with the controller circuitry. Try to get the latest chipset driver for your motherboard.

3) Misleading USB flash drive advertisement. There are a few USB that advertise they can work with USB 3.0 / 3.1, but in reality, they are only USB 2.0. How to identify if your USB is 2.0 or 3.0?

USB 2.0 only has 4 pin like the picture below

imageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aInkedIMG20200326190613_LI.thumb.jpg.540d2ef9e25b743558fa99e4def974f9.jpg

USB 3.0/3.1 will have 5 additional pin on top of the 4 pin:

InkedIMG20200326190627_LI.thumb.jpg.6e7cbe20325723cf750a0e0018ea2422.jpg

4) USB drive over heat. If your USB drive is overheated, performance may suffer.

5) Anti-virus is scanning the file as the file is being copied to the drive. This is normal and although it is annoying, it can't be help but wait for it to finish its job.

6) Malware or other virus could infect your computer. These viruses will replicate itself into your USB drive or integrated into files you copy to the drive to infect other computer. This is a serious threat and you may need to get your computer to disinfect.

7) USB drive may be malfunctioning. It could be the controller chip inside your USB flash drive is not functioning properly.

I do notice you use a program to transfer your file. Just wanted to ask will the transfer speed be any faster if you use Windows Explorer to transfer the file?

I see 4 pins but behind 5 wires,same on all usb memory,even Patriot so it should be usb 3.1!!

Then either is the program issue or usb overheated,but from  start of copy I got this transfer speed.

9 hours ago, frozensun said:

I see 4 pins but behind 5 wires,same on all usb memory,even Patriot so it should be usb 3.1!!

Then either is the program issue or usb overheated,but from  start of copy I got this transfer speed.

Hmm...

To make sure if overheat is an issue, while plugging the USB to your system, touch to see if the USB is warm or hot. If it is, then your USB may be not in good condition.

Well, maybe you can check if your driver is updated or correctly install. Your laptop manufacturer should have drivers at their website.

Oh, before I forgot, test your USB using other computer to confirm if the problem exist in other machine. If it is, then there might be something wrong with the USB drive. If not, then there may be something wrong with your system.