why usb memory suddenly goes crazy with slooooow copy speed

frozensun

Hi guys,

I'm having sometimes weird issues with 2-3 of my USB memory and it is driving me nuts.

I'm copying Photoshop setup folder onto USB drive which is Kingston DataTraveler 106 128GB over USB 3.0 port on my laptop and look at the transfer speed,even from SSD!

This is nuts and drives me so f..n crazy I could break them all.

What could be cause of such issue?

This happens to a lot of my drives not just Kingston,PNY too.

usb sranje.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

27 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Kingston DataTraveler

Are you sure the USB stick is also USB 3.0? Just tossing a USB 2.0 stick into a 3.0 slot won't making them go faster

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Are you sure the USB stick is also USB 3.0? Just tossing a USB 2.0 stick into a 3.0 slot won't making them go faster

it's even 3.1 :)

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

it's even 3.1 :)

Ok, if you let the program continue to copy, does the xfer speed improve at all?

What happens if you use the built-in windows copy, rather than TeraCopy?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

This can be a lot of factor.

1) Too much USB device connected. USB device has to share the bandwidth and transferring time. If there are 4 USB device plugged in, they will take turns to communicate with the controller, so you'll see a performance impact. Try to unplug a few of your USB device and see if the speed increase.

2) Improper configure of the chipsets. Either the driver is not functioning properly or there's a problem with the controller circuitry. Try to get the latest chipset driver for your motherboard.

3) Misleading USB flash drive advertisement. There are a few USB that advertise they can work with USB 3.0 / 3.1, but in reality, they are only USB 2.0. How to identify if your USB is 2.0 or 3.0?

USB 2.0 only has 4 pin like the picture below

InkedIMG20200326190613_LI.thumb.jpg.540d2ef9e25b743558fa99e4def974f9.jpg

USB 3.0/3.1 will have 5 additional pin on top of the 4 pin:

InkedIMG20200326190627_LI.thumb.jpg.6e7cbe20325723cf750a0e0018ea2422.jpg

4) USB drive over heat. If your USB drive is overheated, performance may suffer.

5) Anti-virus is scanning the file as the file is being copied to the drive. This is normal and although it is annoying, it can't be help but wait for it to finish its job.

6) Malware or other virus could infect your computer. These viruses will replicate itself into your USB drive or integrated into files you copy to the drive to infect other computer. This is a serious threat and you may need to get your computer to disinfect.

7) USB drive may be malfunctioning. It could be the controller chip inside your USB flash drive is not functioning properly.

I do notice you use a program to transfer your file. Just wanted to ask will the transfer speed be any faster if you use Windows Explorer to transfer the file?

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Damn,

I just checked,USB has 4 pins,it's model DT106 KIngston 128GB but it's advertised as USB 3.1.

I will try not to use teracopy later in the evening...but these above confused me now.

Is there a way to check is this really USB 3.0/3.1?

3 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

This can be a lot of factor.

1) Too much USB device connected. USB device has to share the bandwidth and transferring time. If there are 4 USB device plugged in, they will take turns to communicate with the controller, so you'll see a performance impact. Try to unplug a few of your USB device and see if the speed increase.

2) Improper configure of the chipsets. Either the driver is not functioning properly or there's a problem with the controller circuitry. Try to get the latest chipset driver for your motherboard.

3) Misleading USB flash drive advertisement. There are a few USB that advertise they can work with USB 3.0 / 3.1, but in reality, they are only USB 2.0. How to identify if your USB is 2.0 or 3.0?

USB 2.0 only has 4 pin like the picture below

imageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aInkedIMG20200326190613_LI.thumb.jpg.540d2ef9e25b743558fa99e4def974f9.jpg

USB 3.0/3.1 will have 5 additional pin on top of the 4 pin:

InkedIMG20200326190627_LI.thumb.jpg.6e7cbe20325723cf750a0e0018ea2422.jpg

4) USB drive over heat. If your USB drive is overheated, performance may suffer.

5) Anti-virus is scanning the file as the file is being copied to the drive. This is normal and although it is annoying, it can't be help but wait for it to finish its job.

6) Malware or other virus could infect your computer. These viruses will replicate itself into your USB drive or integrated into files you copy to the drive to infect other computer. This is a serious threat and you may need to get your computer to disinfect.

7) USB drive may be malfunctioning. It could be the controller chip inside your USB flash drive is not functioning properly.

I do notice you use a program to transfer your file. Just wanted to ask will the transfer speed be any faster if you use Windows Explorer to transfer the file?

I see 4 pins but behind 5 wires,same on all usb memory,even Patriot so it should be usb 3.1!!

Then either is the program issue or usb overheated,but from  start of copy I got this transfer speed.

9 hours ago, frozensun said:

I see 4 pins but behind 5 wires,same on all usb memory,even Patriot so it should be usb 3.1!!

Then either is the program issue or usb overheated,but from  start of copy I got this transfer speed.

Hmm...

To make sure if overheat is an issue, while plugging the USB to your system, touch to see if the USB is warm or hot. If it is, then your USB may be not in good condition.

Well, maybe you can check if your driver is updated or correctly install. Your laptop manufacturer should have drivers at their website.

Oh, before I forgot, test your USB using other computer to confirm if the problem exist in other machine. If it is, then there might be something wrong with the USB drive. If not, then there may be something wrong with your system.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

It's copying like forever,so either it's the USB memory stick damaged or something is wrong with this laptop?

What should I do,can I check USB memory stick for failure/errors?

usb greska.jpg

Is the folder contents few large files or many small ones?

USB sticks are usually slow on large number of files.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

18 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Is the folder contents few large files or many small ones?

USB sticks are usually slow on large number of files.

One 1.5 GB file and the rest mixture of smaller ones...

This is a USB 3.1 device,at least specified as such and it's copying 3.63 GB for like more then an hour...

The problem is it's freezing like a looot.Now I disabled the TeraCopy changed USB 3.0 Port to motherboard and still same issue.

Is there a program to check the device for failure?

well I took other device from Patriot,it was slow around 25 MB/s max but it managed to copy file.

So what should I do with this device?

Tried reformatting it already? If yes, trash.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Tried reformatting it already? If yes, trash.

Quick format,full format or low lewel?

Got this error code:

Screen Shot 03-31-20 at 04.34 PM.JPG

Trash then.

F@H

GPD Win 2

OK,I'll RMA it,but how can I proove to seller it's damaged,USB stick still works with reduced write speed on smaller files...

I can't just tell him yeah use the programs to test USB memory for errors if those programs are not approved for such!

On 3/31/2020 at 5:46 PM, Kilrah said:

Trash then.

How can I know if the device is physically damaged,or is it something which has to do with filesystem?

Got this after chdsk:

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

120947519 KB total disk space.
  89249817 KB in 6930 files.
      1880 KB in 1511 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    104170 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
  31591651 KB available on disk.

512 bytes in each allocation unit.
 241895039 total allocation units on disk.
  63183303 allocation units available on disk.

If you formatted it and it does the same then it's not the filesystem. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Does what?

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

After format I copied all the 90 GB of programs back to it,and I didn't had any issues with it...although sofware reports damaged drive..

But ofc seller won't accept RMA over some software people made for testing USB pen drives,they will tell take the drive check if the read/copy works and tell me it's okay.

I will just loose time RMA it...

Maybe the only way to RMA it is when the drive is completly dead...