Is it a shame to own a low end PC?

VirusDumb

I used to play games at 12 to 20 FPS
I was using a i3 2120 a old 1tb hard drive

my laptop back then was a pentium 

both where running Windows 7 

this was 2016 until last year maybe 

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 3/25/2020 at 11:21 AM, SeAsOn3 said:

Okay *deep breaths(am I even supposed to type dat🤔)* . I am a teenage boy (from India) who did whatever he could to get into gaming (I mean high end PC gaming not playing GTA San Andreas in my current PC*which is the only gaming I do*). I did a lot of stuff , figuring out the cheapest build,posted a topic here about persuading my parents, etc. 

And you know what none of the way of persuading my parents worked .... Until I used my own (which is scoring good grades *imma genius lol*) and the Corona virus f@©k€∆ everything up......

AliExpress shipping were stopped, prices of PC parts on online stores keep increasing every 24 hour, and the PC store near my house has a few APUs and some a320 mobos and the sad thing is I can't even go there cuz their is a lockdown in the city (country actually) cuz of Covid 19,

SoOoOo(if u have read till here full then thnx but u didn't need to,u just now know about my sed lyf and why Covid 19 is a problem for gamers). As Linus once said

Is using this PC setup for gaming a shame? (or am I a member of PCMR?)

• CPU: core i3 3210 3.2 GHz
  • GPU: Intel hd 2500
  • RAM: 4gbx1 1333mhz
  • Mobo: some random h61 Mobo by a brand called Mercury
  • Storage-120 gb ssd and a 500gb hdd
  • PSU: some random non certified 250 watt smps by iball
  • Case: a $10 case from a brand called zebion
  • A cheap Logitech keyboard
  • A cheap mouse from a brand named lapcare
  • A 1333x768 monitor from AOC

I have much respect for it, and I played some games like

• NFS most wanted (2005)-the first game I played on it.
  • GTA 3,Vice City,San Andreas.
  • Burnout Paradise (2008)
  • NFS hot pursuit(2010),most wanted(2012)- even tho some guys here told me it won't run but they ran at the lowest resolution and at playable fps
  • Untitled goose game
  • PUBG and COD mobile(using tencent gaming buddy)
  • Meteorite 60 seconds.
  • Etc

Way overthinking a lot of things friend.  I drove my low-mid range PC into the ground, happily so, just like I drove the crappy "gaming" (wasnt) laptop before it into the ground, happily so, because that's what I had and made it work.  Those things got me through college and med school while doing what I needed and let me play some games along the way.  

I would suggest:  if it makes you happy, consider yourself a member of PCMR, basing that on what you feel is right.  If anyone tells you that you aren't PCMR (or cares to question you), tell them to F off because the fact that they care says more about them than you.

Enjoy what you have, and make it work.  Stay hungry and keep climbing, the climb is sometimes the best part and makes you appreciate the top tier stuff later on.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Also as an aside, we didnt even have a PC in our house growing up until I was in my senior year of high school, and when we finally got one (to share for fam) it was so slow (Gateway PC with minimum specs) literally opening up AOL brought it to its knees.  We used a word processor (basically a type-write with monitor for those of you young-uns) up until that point, so I think you are already starting well ahead of where I was!  

GL HF happy gaming.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

It doesn't matter what other people think of your build. There is no shame in not having the latest and greatest of components! I myself do not have the most top-end build, but it works for me. If your build is working for you, then that is all that matters.

Still better then a console, in the amount of settings you can choose in games alone.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

I shall soon be streaming on an 11 year old workstation, once I replace the GTX1050 with something that has some performance, and I fix the hyperthreading issues.

Is it weird that I like to see old computers struggle to run modern games?

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

Is a low end PC really better than an grossly outdated one? ::thonk::

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

"Is it a shame to own a low end PC?"
Nope.
"Am I a member of PCMR?"
Sure, why not.

I started with a basic PC and worked on making better decisions over the years on what I want my PC to do, and look like.
Set a goal. I told myself back in the sandy bridge era I wanted to move from mainstream CPU's to HEDT systems.
It has taken me a long time to finally have a PC that I envisioned all those years ago. But I'm also planing on future builds and upgrades, cause that interests me.

Some advice from the man, the myth, the legend....
“I’m the happiest because I’m doing exactly what I want to do”
– Gary V

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

I still use an i3-2120 till this day. It's actually not too bad speed wise and I can even render video on it fairly quickly (30mins for a 30mins video)

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

It's not a big deal to use old PC.If possible,old Xeon processor might provide higher performance with low price.For them have been working days and days,which means more unexcpeted problems,it's still much fun to explore them.

In China,some of PC Gamers choose those hardware from old data center.CPUs like E3-1230 used to be welcomed. 

Nah . My PC is a core 2 quad and he 3650 with 4gb sys ram. I love the thing, even if it can't play Minecraft at more than 10 chunks without optifine

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I hope what I'm about to write will inspire you while keeping your feet grounded.

You're a teenager with a PC that can play games - regardless if they are the latest release or the ones you find heavily discounted on Steam.

I'm 32 and I did not have that luxury when I was a teen. Yes, computers are much more ubiquitous now, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a luxury that you enjoy, while I, as well as many others in this forum, never did. My family could only afford gaming consoles back then, and the one PC we had at home during that time was purely for office documents and email. My neighbor got me into PC gaming and I remember we would share the keyboard while playing Heretic - an ancient game with far worse graphics than any of the games you mentioned. I would fire the weapon, while he used the WASD keys. It was pretty lame, but it made me dream one day that I'd own one for myself.

I get that you feel like your setup is "not as good as" other people, but so what? You're young and have your life ahead of you. You will eventually get there. The last time I had a gaming rig that was truly high-end (like, top of the line i7 Ivy Bridge and GTX 780 SLI) was the last birthday gift I got from my father (cheesy and spoiled, I know), but I swore to myself that the next one I will build will be from my own pockets. I grew up and had to balance my priorities. Finished undergrad, then worked for 2 years, then I got accepted to the graduate school of my dreams in Singapore. Obviously, the PC was the last of my priorities. After getting my Master's degree, worked my ass off to save up, without forgetting the promise to myself that the next PC I would build will come from the hard work I put in daily.

Long story short, you have nothing to be ashamed of. Play what you want. If you're not completely happy yet, that's ok. Work for it, then reward yourself.

PS. The next PC I built is in my sig. :)

Ryzen 5 2600 OCd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.275v l Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wifi l MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super

GSkill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 l NZXT Kraken M22 AIO l Deepcool Macube 310P

I didn't read any replies, I just wanted to say something that was on my mind.

No, it is not a shame to own a "low end" pc, or really anything else, you have what you have.

if it actually isn't very good don't go saying it's the best thing ever, but in my opinion making due with what you have is respectable, not just throwing a bunch of money at the problem so you can run any game at 855 FPS.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

On 3/25/2020 at 11:21 AM, SeAsOn3 said:

•  

Does it do what you need it to do? Becuase thats all that matters. And for the record, Ivy Bridge chips can still hold their own in older games. I ran an i5 3570K up til last fall. In truth you could do some minor upgrades to that system and make it a bit better if you chose. OR build a new system, though Id probably wait till the whole apocalypse is done so prices can go back to normal ish. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

low spec gaming is the goal of pc gaming, to be playable. and enjoyable.

my main rig is occupied so i use my 9 yr old pc ,i5 2500 amd 6850 for some gta v, its actually hold up well enough for most other titles. just that settings have to be lower from time to time.

imo if you buy pc now  , (3300x gtx1650s) even low end it should expect at least lasting 8 more yrs 

Hello, another teenager here

I don't like asking my parents for money so I usually have to find a way to pay for the parts myself. The best thing about a lower spec rig is to experiment and find different ways to speed it up. Therefore you will know how to get higher fps on a variety of pcs in the future. I have a ten year old machine, and i've upgraded it. It's pretty good, but not the best. I7-860 (also note that this is a 10 year old i7 and is not as powerful as a modern one), 8gb ddr3, nvidia gt620 which is almost the worst gpu in the whole wide world (probably worse than your integrated graphics), 250gb ssd which I recently purchased, an old 1tb hdd, and a 300W stock psu. No matter how bad it is compared to any other rigs I still have much respect for it. You should have respect for your rig too. A great thing to do with lower spec rigs is to check out some older games (I can see that you have gotten some already) and they should run pretty well.

Good luck with your rig!

Does it actually matter? No.

Does it matter if you want to flex on your friends? Yes.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2020 at 5:54 AM, Windows9 said:

I still use an i3-2120 till this day. It's actually not too bad speed wise and I can even render video on it fairly quickly (30mins for a 30mins video)

that cpu brings back so many memories

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 3/25/2020 at 8:34 AM, SeAsOn3 said:

I am unable to play the games I want but I cannot upgrade

That's another unfortunate aspect to being into hardware. It's expensive. And without assuming too much you live in India so chances are you have less money than most people on this forum. Just remember that gaming is a hobby, and you have more important things in life. Get enough to play games on if you can afford it, but don't fall into the consumerist trap like a lot of people do.

On 3/25/2020 at 8:21 AM, SeAsOn3 said:

Okay *deep breaths(am I even supposed to type dat🤔)* . I am a teenage boy (from India) who did whatever he could to get into gaming (I mean high end PC gaming not playing GTA San Andreas in my current PC*which is the only gaming I do*). I did a lot of stuff , figuring out the cheapest build,posted a topic here about persuading my parents, etc. 

And you know what none of the way of persuading my parents worked .... Until I used my own (which is scoring good grades *imma genius lol*) and the Corona virus f@©k€∆ everything up......

AliExpress shipping were stopped, prices of PC parts on online stores keep increasing every 24 hour, and the PC store near my house has a few APUs and some a320 mobos and the sad thing is I can't even go there cuz their is a lockdown in the city (country actually) cuz of Covid 19,

SoOoOo(if u have read till here full then thnx but u didn't need to,u just now know about my sed lyf and why Covid 19 is a problem for gamers). As Linus once said

• NFS hot pursuit(2010),most wanted(2012)- even tho some guys here told me it won't run but they ran at the lowest resolution and at playable fps
  • Untitled goose game
  • Meteorite 60 seconds.
  • Etc

Edit:its been 2 months since I uploaded the topic people are still replying,its the longest running post which I made thanks to everyone who replied. I will upgrade my pc soon(just a ram upgrade) after this covid 19 gets over.

Also just want to point out that you can play esports games like CSGO and LOL perfectly fine if you turn the graphics settings to minimum.

On 3/25/2020 at 5:21 PM, SeAsOn3 said:

• Untitled goose game
  • Meteorite 60 seconds.
  • Etc

Edit:its been 2 months since I uploaded the topic people are still replying,its the longest running post which I made thanks to everyone who replied. I will upgrade my pc soon(just a ram upgrade) after this covid 19 gets over.

My man, I feel your pain. Parts can be expensive especially here in South Africa (BRICS members unite,lol!). But your build ain't a shame, everyone starts somewhere. You'll always be able to upgrade your parts later (depending on your mobo tho). Here's a site you can use to lookup if certain games would work with your specs: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Btw I can recommend a i3-7100 if you're decide to upgrade your CPU one day.

Good luck my dude!

While that PC probably doesn't play games very well (Intel HD graphics and no discrete GPU), otherwise it's totally fine. Honestly, dropping pretty much any low or mid-range GPU - even one 3-5 years out of date - would turn that PC into a totally acceptable lower-settings gaming PC.

And besides that, you don't want to "join" the PCMR and their elitist stupid bullshit. If you're a gamer, you're a gamer. Not every game can afford or justify a high end gaming PC. Some gamers play on laptops or low end hardware. Some gamers play on Consoles, or *gasp* even mobile phones.

And you know? That's fucking awesome. I love all gamers everywhere, regardless of what platform they have access to or prefer.

PCMR was just a joke originally, but too many people started believing the meme and thinking they were somehow better than - for example - console gamers. Sure some people still read it ironically, the way it should be. But way too many take it seriously.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)