Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PineyCreek

BOINC Computation Errors?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've been running Rosetta@Home jobs via BOINC off and on for the past week, but once I added GPUgrid to the mix (Rosetta doesn't use GPU it appears), I've noticed a large uptick in jobs that end in Computation Errors.  GPUGrid jobs never error.  I've read that computation errors can also come from improperly compiled jobs as well.  Any theories or explanations?  I'm clueless on this, but seeing so many jobs error out after over 6 hours of work have been put into them is quite annoying.

The computer isn't actively running any other applications other than the software locking the GPU power and custom fan curves.  Otherwise the system is sitting locked.

Is it possible that the BOINC software is actually dumber than I expected in terms of handling system resources or is this something else? Current stats for Rosetta: 90 valid jobs, 41 error jobs.

Just now, 42thgamer said:

If I get them I click the "Update" bottom and they get resolved then.

They get resolved by being removed.  You don't get credit for errored jobs.

Just now, PineyCreek said:

They get resolved by being removed.  You don't get credit for errored jobs.

Ow I thought you did.

2 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Any other thoughts or suggestions from anyone?

I've recently been getting a few compilation errors here and there with Rosetta@home, on a system I know is stable and has been running R@H and F@H together for the last 3 months. But yours seem unusual. My stats(over the last 3 months) are 262 completed tasks and 11 failed tasks.

Desktop build : Ryzen 5 3600 w/ stock Wraith Stealth cooler | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 16GB DDR4-2400 Crucial | 3GB Zotac GTX 1060 Mini (O/C)

Laptop : Lenovo Yoga 3 14 - Core i7-5500U | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 256GB SSD | 2GB Geforce GT 940M

On further testing, it looks like BOINC w/Rosetta wants to error out most jobs if the GPU is running at all...on F@H or BOINC.

I think I'm going to turn off Evga Precision X1 which is capping GPU power level and handing the custom fan curves...that's the only other thing I can think of that's a potential factor.

Going to bump up the memory limiter as well since I have seen Rosetta tasks sitting in Waiting on Memory status.

Signed up for another project that's CPU primarily.  Completely shut off Precision X1.  Completely unloaded F@H from memory.

Rosetta@Home still throws computation errors at a high percentage rate...but no other project does.

Very weird...but doesn't seem to be related to other software I'm running or affect any other project.

I have the same issue. It seems that Rosetta@Home really hates sharing cpu resources even though there are few cpu cores left which are plenty enough to run other applications.