RTX 2070's and Bottlenecking

Go to solution Solved by 5x5,

2070 Super or 5700 XT. Those are your options. The 2070 is obsolete on the new market

Hello (Graphics card) LTT forum,

Hold on to your hat or headset because there is a lot of questions coming at you.

I want to upgrade my GPU from my old 960. System info, I5-8600k and 16 GB RAM. (will need later)

I was looking at the RTX 2070 SUPER and the RTX 2070 and noticed there wasn't a huge speed difference between the cards. Is it worth saving the 80$ or so on the 2070 or is it better in terms of future proofing to buy the 2070 SUPER?

And it doesn’t stop there, because a friend pointed out I maybe would run into some bottleneck issues. Is it really a thing with modern day hardware or at least the CPU/GPU combination I am planning to make? If so, should I consider the 2060 SUPER. I would assume a 2-year-old 6-core processor wouldn’t run into a problem with the 2070’s, but I am not sure.

I hope someone out there have a good answer, it would be much appreciated. (btw sorry for potential bad English, it is not my first language)

2070 Super or 5700 XT. Those are your options. The 2070 is obsolete on the new market

Per the bottleneck calculator, both configurations (RTX 2070 / RTX 2070 SUPER) will give you a bottleneck. You'll get a 12% bottleneck with a RTX 2070 and a 18% bottleneck with a RTX 2070 SUPER.

I'd say the $80 isn't worth getting the SUPER variant of the RTX 2070, and you could spend that $80 on something like better RAM or storage.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

What about the potentiel bottleneck threat?

Just now, Mufflen said:

What about the potentiel bottleneck threat?

Based on the calculation above with the bottleneck calculator, the RTX 2070 SUPER will give you a 18% bottleneck, although not ideal, it should be alright for now till you can get a better CPU.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

8 minutes ago, Baos said:

Based on the calculation above with the bottleneck calculator, the RTX 2070 SUPER will give you a 18% bottleneck, although not ideal, it should be alright for now till you can get a better CPU.

Do you think i will se a noticeable bottleneck hit if i went with the SUPER?

22 minutes ago, Mufflen said:

If you're just playing video games, I don't think so.

55 minutes ago, Mufflen said:

Bottleneck calculators are bullshit. Please refrain from listening to those shady sites.

You are fine. the 8600K is adequate for a 2070S or 5700 XT. Later on, you can get a used 9900K or 8700K (avoid the 9700K - 8 non-HT cores are worse than 6 with HT)

59 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Bottleneck calculators are bullshit. Please refrain from listening to those shady sites.

You are fine. the 8600K is adequate for a 2070S or 5700 XT. Later on, you can get a used 9900K or 8700K (avoid the 9700K - 8 non-HT cores are worse than 6 with HT)

Okay thank you, last question- I have a 550w PSU so if i decide to go with the 2070 SUPER do i also need a PSU upgrade. 750 W is fine, dont you agree

57 minutes ago, Mufflen said:

Okay thank you, last question- I have a 550w PSU so if i decide to go with the 2070 SUPER do i also need a PSU upgrade. 750 W is fine, dont you agree

depends on the model. Both 2070S and 5700 XT only use about 200-220W - any good 450W PSU can handle them. But even a garbage 1000W PSU will catch fire.

With that CPU and GPU combination I think you’ll be just fine. It’ll be a night and day upgrade from that GTX 960. I was in the same boat just a few days ago because I am still on an i5 6600 K (oc’d to 4.5Ghz) and I wanted to upgrade my GTX 970 to a RTX 2070 or a 2060Super. Bottleneck calculators were telling me that I would get about a 40% bottleneck with those cards from my CPU and that got me worried that I would have to upgrade my CPU (or my mobo/cpu) if I wanted to go with those cards, anyways I decided to order the 2060Super and take a chance and I’m so glad I did because it literally doubled my FPS in every game I threw at it and that’s with much higher graphical settings than I used before. Am I missing out on 15 or 20fps from having a weaker CPU? Yes, but when you’re getting 100FPS on ultra settings you won’t miss the extra 20FPS you could be getting. 

Oh and considering that your 8600K is a six core CPU, buddy you’re laughing!

45 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

depends on the model. Both 2070S and 5700 XT only use about 200-220W - any good 450W PSU can handle them. But even a garbage 1000W PSU will catch fire.

I have the Cooler Master G5500M 80 Plus Bronze a 550 Watt PSU

46 minutes ago, Blazzin_0ne said:

With that CPU and GPU combination I think you’ll be just fine. It’ll be a night and day upgrade from that GTX 960. I was in the same boat just a few days ago because I am still on an i5 6600 K (oc’d to 4.5Ghz) and I wanted to upgrade my GTX 970 to a RTX 2070 or a 2060Super. Bottleneck calculators were telling me that I would get about a 40% bottleneck with those cards from my CPU and that got me worried that I would have to upgrade my CPU (or my mobo/cpu) if I wanted to go with those cards, anyways I decided to order the 2060Super and take a chance and I’m so glad I did because it literally doubled my FPS in every game I threw at it and that’s with much higher graphical settings than I used before. Am I missing out on 15 or 20fps from having a weaker CPU? Yes, but when you’re getting 100FPS on ultra settings you won’t miss the extra 20FPS you could be getting. 

Oh and considering that your 8600K is a six core CPU, buddy you’re laughing!

47 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

3 hours ago, Baos said:

Per the bottleneck calculator, both configurations (RTX 2070 / RTX 2070 SUPER) will give you a bottleneck. You'll get a 12% bottleneck with a RTX 2070 and a 18% bottleneck with a RTX 2070 SUPER.

I'd say the $80 isn't worth getting the SUPER variant of the RTX 2070, and you could spend that $80 on something like better RAM or storage.

Thank you for all the great advice, I decided to buy the 2070 SUPER (the GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER WindForce OC - 8GB)

13 minutes ago, Mufflen said:

Thank you for all the great advice, I decided to buy the 2070 SUPER (the GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER WindForce OC - 8GB)

Great choice IMO... I too did a lot of research and read a lot of forum threads on this very topic before pulling the trigger... and if I had listened to what most people said, I would of gotten a “cheaper” card too like the OG 2060 or something even weaker, but i’m happy with my Palit 2060Super JetStream, and it’s got a mean out of the box OC which makes it faster than a stock 2070. 

And contrary to what people might have you think, even in the CPU heavy games where the frame rate is being limited by my CPU, the gameplay is still smooth as butter. No micro-stutters or anything. 

2 hours ago, Mufflen said:

I have the Cooler Master G5500M 80 Plus Bronze a 550 Watt PSU

You may want to invest in a Corsair TX550 - the G550M is mediocre.