Can I restore an iPad to remove the Apple account?

My girlfriend has an iPad that is linked to an Apple account that she no longer as access to. The device itself doesn't have a passcode, but she can't back it up or log out of iCloud or even update it because she forgot the password for the account, and Apple can't help her reset it because it's linked with a phone number she no longer has. So, people on the internet are saying to restore it with iTunes and DFU/Recovery mode, but I'm concerned that it'll still demand the login after restoring (I don't know much about iDevices anymore, but I know this is a thing that happens sometimes).

So, is iTunes and DFU mode the way to go, or are we out of luck unless she can remember the password?

16 minutes ago, fireclaw316 said:

My girlfriend has an iPad that is linked to an Apple account that she no longer as access to. The device itself doesn't have a passcode, but she can't back it up or log out of iCloud or even update it because she forgot the password for the account, and Apple can't help her reset it because it's linked with a phone number she no longer has. So, people on the internet are saying to restore it with iTunes and DFU/Recovery mode, but I'm concerned that it'll still demand the login after restoring (I don't know much about iDevices anymore, but I know this is a thing that happens sometimes).

So, is iTunes and DFU mode the way to go, or are we out of luck unless she can remember the password?

It will ask for the device PIN upon restart. At this point it's a bit of an SOL situation, wait for the Apple stores to re-open and then bring in the device and some ID and have them see if they can reset the password on the account. I don't know what their proper procedure is but generally people in the call center/chat are unable to verify people are who they say they are, and that's why you can't get a reset.

This is also a good lesson for others to learn. Don't abandon your phone numbers, port them out unless you are moving out of the country.

6 minutes ago, Kisai said:

It will ask for the device PIN upon restart. At this point it's a bit of an SOL situation, wait for the Apple stores to re-open and then bring in the device and some ID and have them see if they can reset the password on the account. I don't know what their proper procedure is but generally people in the call center/chat are unable to verify people are who they say they are, and that's why you can't get a reset.

This is also a good lesson for others to learn. Don't abandon your phone numbers, port them out unless you are moving out of the country.

That's the thing, there is no pin. It's completely unlocked. She just wants to reset it because every time she tries to update it, it asks for her Apple login.

Did she ever link or use a credit card with that account? I had an old Apple account I could not gain access too because the user name was a fake email address, then they changed the user names to be actual emails, so I can't actually log in anymore. But, when I called Apple support about it, they asked if I had the credit card I used to make purchases on the account with, sadly I did not. But if I did, I'd still have that account. It's a long shot. But likely Apple store will have you call in to support. So give that a try and see if they can verify via credit card. Chances are they can reset her password and restore her account.