Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tim613

2 hdd failures and cant reinstall windows

Posted · Original PosterOP

so to begin with my issue i changed the storage location of nvidia experience recordings to go to one my 4tb hdd's and my pc started acting funny and froze. I rebooted my computer and took way longer to start up, logged in and then my hdd was gone from my list. went into disk manager and it was showing it was offline. tried to make it come back online with no successful attempts. at that point my computer takes a long time to shut down and start up. a day later i lose my 2nd 4tb hdd for no reason. i cant get both of them online now. so i figure ill just do a clean install of windows on my nvme to hope clean up whatever is causing this. i have tried to install it with the removable media and everytime ive installed windows i get a blue screen and tells me i need to reinstall windows on my pc. ive also had to use cmd prompt to clean my nvme and set ti to gpt as well because i was getting and error for that and now my usb drive got messed up so now im  reformatting it and going to install a new media tool to it to see if that fixes it. ive never had this serious of a problem before and i cant really think what could of messed it up. its making me think all my drives a failing and ill prob need new hdd's.

Did you disconnect those HDDs before attempting the reinstall?

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense.
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (66Mbit) + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. (56Mbit)

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Did you disconnect those HDDs before attempting the reinstall?

not at first but i disconnected them today and tried to reinstall with the same issue of windows getting a blue screen. im in the process of reformatting my usb drive through cmd prompt and reinstalling windows on it. it wouldnt let me format it the easy way.

What PSU?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM (+100mhz core clock), 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, 2x Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb GPUs in crossfire, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, PCCOOLING 160w TDP air cooler, 60gb Patriot SSD Win 10 boot drive, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Roku 55" 4k TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

APU Laptop: I need to clean this things TIM up so it can boot into Windows 7 for more than 5 minute before overheating at idle, it has things, I just haven't been on it in 2 years or so

7 minutes ago, Tim613 said:

new hdd's.

Start with the basics.

Reset BIOS back to default. This means no OCing, no XMP, etc.

Ensure your USB stick has a known, good, ISO of WIn10 on it (that's important)

Unplug and unpower everything not required for botting, basically, only your boot drive, GPU, 1 stick of RAM.

When installing Windows, use the standard NTFS format.

See what happens, report back.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Start with the basics.

Reset BIOS back to default. This means no OCing, no XMP, etc.

Ensure your USB stick has a known, good, ISO of WIn10 on it (that's important)

Unplug and unpower everything not required for botting, basically, only your boot drive, GPU, 1 stick of RAM.

When installing Windows, use the standard NTFS format.

See what happens, report back.

So I’ve done that and I’m getting the error for gpt still on my nvme

109BDE95-4531-4193-AE20-2B0EC36DD1F1.jpeg

0645C502-24C1-4357-A11B-7B81AA293655.jpeg

83D7E1D2-2EA7-4E54-AA1B-4BD08CD6CA24.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tim613 said:

So I’ve done that and I’m getting the error for gpt still on my nvme

Does your BIOS offer the option to use Legacy, rather than EFI?

23 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Does your BIOS offer the option to use Legacy, rather than EFI?

Yes it does have that option, I’ve been using efi 

I do legacy and install windows and re boot on my nvme and get blue screen 

A9F8B953-0589-4AAA-A729-DF8F1100BE11.jpeg

Can you format the drive before installation to GPT? This should be a option in the other pic you included (Delete the partition and format as GPT). You can boot Windows PE or something similar and format the drive also. 

7 hours ago, Tim613 said:

I do legacy and install windows and re boot on my nvme and get blue screen

Yes, you are going to get that, as Windows is expecting efi format.

Just erase the SSD, don't format it, let Windows decide formats when you go to re-install

so I couldnt get it to work still with even with disabling my lan in the bios, apparently that blue screen is from having lan or wifi enabled. I ended up throwing in my extra asus board vs the msi one i had in there and i was able to get it up and running and installed. Also my pump died on my Corsair h115i  for the second time, threw in my trusty evga one and worked fine. next im going to clear my two hard drives from the bios to hopefully be able to salvage them again and make some more partitions in them.